Sponsored

16 Mustang EB Vs 16 Camaro V6

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
I thought 02GT brought up the ats to talk about weight distribution? Not weight loss/gain? At least in this thread. But maybe I forgot how to read.
That would be worse... different footprint, mass, cabin location, front section design, overall curb weight, seating positions... dash:axle...

Are you the guy that made Youtube videos showing how you can't shift a Getrag???
Sponsored

DiMaio90

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Escape
That would be worse... different footprint, mass, cabin location, front section design, overall curb weight, seating positions... dash:axle...

Are you the guy that made Youtube videos showing how you can't shift a Getrag???

LOL no I can shift the Getrag just fine. My brother's trans feels great.

I just looked at why 02GT brought up the ATS. He was talking about weight distribution. Then I saw your diatribe accusing him of using the ats as a justification for weight loss. In reality he used it as speculation for the fact that the Camaro may have a weight distribution nearer to 50-50 than the mustang. Not something I agree or disagree with. Just clearing things up a bit.

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
LOL no I can shift the Getrag just fine. My brother's trans feels great.

I just looked at why 02GT brought up the ATS. He was talking about weight distribution. Then I saw your diatribe accusing him of using the ats as a justification for weight loss. In reality he used it as speculation for the fact that the Camaro may have a weight distribution nearer to 50-50 than the mustang. Not something I agree or disagree with. Just clearing things up a bit.
Weight and weight distribution go hand in hand. The ATS and Camaro have very little in common other than floors and some drivetrains.

They use the ATS because it's the very best case scenario. It's the lightest of the 3 and had the best balance 52/48...

With the addition of the coolers, larger nose, larger WB and larger wheels, the Camaro will have a more difficult time matching the ATS in anything. In fact, the CTS uses the steel IRS because the balance from ATS and CTS were so vastly different.

No, the ATS isn't a good yardstick for anything Camaro related. The assumption that the ATS was the baseline is exactly why people can't believe a 3800lbs 1SS.

DiMaio90

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Escape
Weight and weight distribution go hand in hand. The ATS and Camaro have very little in common other than floors and some drivetrains.

They use the ATS because it's the very best case scenario. It's the lightest of the 3 and had the best balance 52/48...

With the addition of the coolers, larger nose, larger WB and larger wheels, the Camaro will have a more difficult time matching the ATS in anything. In fact, the CTS uses the steel IRS because the balance from ATS and CTS were so vastly different.

No, the ATS isn't a good yardstick for anything Camaro related. The assumption that the ATS was the baseline is exactly why people can't believe a 3800lbs 1SS.

Okay, thanks for the lesson in logic. Just to recap:
You can't use the ATS to justify the possibility of a 3700lb because "it isn't a good yardstick of anything Camaro related" Camaro but you can use it to rule out the possibility of one?

For the record, I don't think they will hit the 200lb weight loss claim on every model. I just believe that the ATS and CTS shouldn't be used to try and prove OR disprove a 3700lb SS.

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
Okay, thanks for the lesson in logic. Just to recap:
You can't use the ATS to justify the possibility of a 3700lb because "it isn't a good yardstick of anything Camaro related" Camaro but you can use it to rule out the possibility of one?

For the record, I don't think they will hit the 200lb weight loss claim on every model. I just believe that the ATS and CTS shouldn't be used to try and prove OR disprove a 3700lb SS.
To be honest, you really can't use either as you say. Only 30% of the CTS made it to the Camaro. Even though it shares and most likely does consist of compromise, 70% all new (if true) is closing in on unique.

Just the cabin placement on both ATS and CTS net a much different distribution.

In reality, both ATS and CTS are far more specific in application. The ATS does offer a coupe but the CTS does not... neither offer a convertible...

The main reason the Camaro's BIW is 85lbs heavier than the ATS and 45lbs heavier than the 114 inch WB CTS is convertible support...

Simply put, out of the 3, the Camaro is the heaviest right off the bat. Trying to get a feel for the Camaro using either ATS or CTS is a mistake, weight and weight distribution. As you say, the ATS does serve as a model of what could be done but, don't expect a larger car to do better.

I did some digging around and found that all 3 vehicles (ATS, CTS and Camaro) all contain around 2-3% aluminum. One of missing pieces was BIW material content and if Chevy added in more to offset the difference between ATS/CTS BIW's. They did not...

There is a small weight loss in the panels and stationary glass too. The C7 lost 30lbs I think, in just panels and glass. The BIW and panel weight loss should just about cover the equipment they added. We seen about 150lbs going back in and maybe 155lbs of BIW and panel weight loss.

Tgat pretty much takes them back to the 2015's 3908lbs...

Still have the IRS (25lbs), MacP (5-10lbs), Fuel cell (25lbs), Rotors (20lbs).

I can plainly see more than 200lbs of savings... about 220-240lbs... but we see about 150lbs coming in hot at least...

We still have got word on the driveshaft, halves, rear diff... Some of that could actually be heavier.
Sponsored