Sponsored

'16 Camaro Reviews are starting to hit the sites.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Khell86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang Gt
Mustang S550 hit the showrooms in late October of '14. It's Nov of '15. That's 1 year, 1 month. Not 2 years. Math.
Its on its second MY of this generation. It does not qualify for car of the year as no extreme changes have happened to it.

Relax. If you dislike the mustang so much, go buy a camaro. We can all tell thats what you really want.
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
A bunch of people are getting their 2016 Camaros at invoice. But even then it is more expensive. I think Ford is ok with that. They will probably sell more because its cheaper, even though it gets beat in every performance measure.
Yes,
bane for now.jpg

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
Its on its second MY of this generation. It does not qualify for car of the year as no extreme changes have happened to it.

Relax. If you dislike the mustang so much, go buy a camaro. We can all tell thats what you really want.
I think he was referring to the 10-best, which allows previous winners to compete again. The Camaro has a chance to be on there multiple years in a row if it is good enough.

The regular GT is too soft to really compete dynamically, but clearly the chassis is capable given what Ford has done with the GT350. It all comes down to what Ford wants to do with the car. They could pretty easily throw on the magneride dampers, larger hubs, and the springs/swaybars and end up with handling that would probably be very close to what the GT350 and Camaro offer. The question is if that is the direction Ford wants to head with the car.

Both cars are great, but everyone really seems to love the handling and performance of the new Camaro, while some felt that the Mustang was a bit too sloppy out of the box. Doesn't mean the Mustang is bad, just that it was aimed at a slightly different target.

-T

franklin9150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic GT Premium PP
I think he was referring to the 10-best, which allows previous winners to compete again. The Camaro has a chance to be on there multiple years in a row if it is good enough.

The regular GT is too soft to really compete dynamically, but clearly the chassis is capable given what Ford has done with the GT350. It all comes down to what Ford wants to do with the car. They could pretty easily throw on the magneride dampers, larger hubs, and the springs/swaybars and end up with handling that would probably be very close to what the GT350 and Camaro offer. The question is if that is the direction Ford wants to head with the car.

Both cars are great, but everyone really seems to love the handling and performance of the new Camaro, while some felt that the Mustang was a bit too sloppy out of the box. Doesn't mean the Mustang is bad, just that it was aimed at a slightly different target.

-T
I think you may be on to something here. I'm sure the Camaro will sell just fine, just as the Mustang is doing. The way I see it so far, it appears that Ford is marketing the Mustang to a much broader market, where as Chevy is targeting the smaller, performance audience.

OP
OP
Spartan

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
I think you may be on to something here. I'm sure the Camaro will sell just fine, just as the Mustang is doing. The way I see it so far, it appears that Ford is marketing the Mustang to a much broader market, where as Chevy is targeting the smaller, performance audience.
That would be true with the SS but not with the V6 and their 4 cylinder. V6 is for the traditional broader mid performance market (think A5/S5) and the 4 for those looking to get a great car but with great MPG or even tuners. I mean look at this statement on the V6

Boy howdy, did they ever deliver. Guest engineering judge Theodore said of the new sixth-generation Camaro: “Quite an accomplishment. Bravo!” He wasn’t only talking about the V-8-engined SS. Chevy also sent us an RS version packing a 335-horsepower, 284-lb-ft of torque, 3.6-liter V-6 and GM’s new eight-speed automatic transmission. Editor-in-chief Loh noted that eight-speed’s “really great calibration.” Something we haven’t been saying about its big brother, the 8L90 cog-swapper found in studs such as the Z06 and CTS-V. We’ve yet to test an 8L90-equipped automatic SS, but here’s hoping the programming is similar to what we experienced with the RS’ 8L45. As for how the V-6 Camaro scoots, Seabaugh was impressed. “The performance you get out of this six-cylinder is amazing,” he said. “It might as well have an SS badge on it. I can already hear the fanboys: ‘My RS does 0-60 mph in 5.3 seconds, handles better than an ATS, and gets killer mileage.’ ” Big time yup. Chevy also makes a 275-hp, 2.0-liter, turbo base model, but we didn’t have access to one in time for this test.
So their V6 is probably going to take a massive # of buyers if it's really that good.
-T
Partly. The point is the Camaro hands down won car of the year for MT. The S550 was in the running but the winner was the VW Golf. So the Mustang couldn't beat out the Golf...which tells you some stuff is lacking on it. The S550 is great improvement from last gen...but they could have gone the extra mile like Chevy did and did a lot more.

Last edited:

Sponsored

347CobraII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
A bunch of people are getting their 2016 Camaros at invoice. But even then it is more expensive. I think Ford is ok with that. They will probably sell more because its cheaper, even though it gets beat in every performance measure.

You still at it beating your chest

Poppacapp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I can assure you Ford will answer... 2017 or 2018.. and I say THANK YOU to GM for that. :headbang:

ClevelandV8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hopefully 2020 GT or HP Ecoboost
I can assure you Ford will answer... 2017 or 2018.. and I say THANK YOU to GM for that. :headbang:
And I can assure you Chevy will answer...2019 or 2020...and I say THANK YOU to Ford for that. :amen:

I love this Mustang, Camaro rivalry...Great for competition...Hope it goes on forever between Ford and Chevy !!

It's a win-win situation for everybody.

70sstrat08

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiesta ST

-T
I like this except it's not just the base gt that can't compete it's the performance pack as well. Again I would be fine with it if there was an up side. If the mustang was a more relaxed more livable car then the camaro.....but it's not. Supposedly the ss is just as comfy around town and can tear it up in the corners.

I'm going to put some of that to curb weight, but also chassis engineering.

When there's no up side you're not targeting a different audience, your product just isn't as good. So even if we say GM went up market (with a better product for more money). That's fine but there really isn't an equivalent mustang you can buy off the showroom floor.

All I'm saying is Ford should make a GT as good as the SS for the same money. With the history these cars have I do expect them to directly compete. Maybe that's unrealistic, but that's what I'm hoping for[emoji41] .

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Sponsored

Poppacapp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
And I can assure you Chevy will answer...2019 or 2020...and I say THANK YOU to Ford for that. :amen:

I love this Mustang, Camaro rivalry...Great for competition...Hope it goes on forever between Ford and Chevy !!

It's a win-win situation for everybody.
I agree with you 100% :cheers:

OP
OP
Spartan

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
I like this except it's not just the base gt that can't compete it's the performance pack as well. Again I would be fine with it if there was an up side. If the mustang was a more relaxed more livable car then the camaro.....but it's not. Supposedly the ss is just as comfy around town and can tear it up in the corners.

I'm going to put some of that to curb weight, but also chassis engineering.

When there's no up side you're not targeting a different audience, your product just isn't as good. So even if we say GM went up market (with a better product for more money). That's fine but there really isn't an equivalent mustang you can buy off the showroom floor.

All I'm saying is Ford should make a GT as good as the SS for the same money. With the history these cars have I do expect them to directly compete. Maybe that's unrealistic, but that's what I'm hoping for[emoji41] .

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Let me bring up a counter argument against Chevy to your last part.

I think Chevy made a mistake by not offering an SS that is more like the GT without PP. The SS has a very high entry point vs the GT and also has a lot of performance/track features.

Many buyers want a V8 Camaro but dont want all the performance options (brembos, RAR, summer tires, performance tuning/suspension, extra cooling, etc). So by not offering that, they are pushing people into the 1LT or 2LT V6 with RS package that doesn't have all those features above in parenthesis.

They should have offered a 1LT or 2LT with RS package and a checkbox for the V8 engine. Then you'd have an equivalent model vs the GT without PP or even with.

And there is an equivalent Mustang vs the SS...its the GT350

Fox5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP magnetic
Camaro as comfortable as the mustang? What are you smoking?

Visibility still didn't change much, maybe a little by the reviews. A lot smaller interior.

The mustang is more of a "touring" car.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.