Sponsored

15mm/20mm spacers with PP wheels?

spiller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche GT3
I don't like the look of the 23/25mm set up - wheel poke is not my thing. I suspect 15mm on the rear and 20mm on the front will look just right for what I want. Does anyone have any pics of this arrangement with the PP wheels? Would be interested to see 15mm all around too.

Thanks
Sponsored

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Would need extended studs, at which point why not just get wider wheels with the right offset?

OP
OP
spiller

spiller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche GT3
Would need extended studs, at which point why not just get wider wheels with the right offset?
I'll be fitting APR studs front and rear to use Apex wheels for the track (fronts need a spacer regardless). I care more about performance than looks so can't justify splashing more money on another set of street wheels. I like the look of the PP wheels when they are spaced correctly.

TheBMWguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GTpp, '98 328is, '90 240sx, '99 SL500
I'll be fitting APR studs front and rear to use Apex wheels for the track (fronts need a spacer regardless). I care more about performance than looks so can't justify splashing more money on another set of street wheels. I like the look of the PP wheels when they are spaced correctly.
If performance is the goal then a lighter wheel should be one of your top priorities, in my humble opinion. You can drop upwards of 10lbs of unsprung weight per corner compared to the PP stockers. 33lb is a very heavy wheel.

OP
OP
spiller

spiller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche GT3
If performance is the goal then a lighter wheel should be one of your top priorities, in my humble opinion. You can drop upwards of 10lbs of unsprung weight per corner compared to the PP stockers. 33lb is a very heavy wheel.
I'm confused. I just said in my post that I have purchased a set of Apex wheels for the track. They are 18x10 and weigh approx 12 lbs less per wheel. As for the street, if those weight savings are that important to you then you must be breaking the law on a very regular basis to be able to notice the difference.

I have the performance covered, for the track, where it is important. I want the spacers for the street purely for aesthetics.

Sponsored

TheBMWguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GTpp, '98 328is, '90 240sx, '99 SL500
Oh sorry I just responded to the original post and assumed the PP wheels were your only set. I'll read the whole thread next time :headbonk:

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I'm confused. I just said in my post that I have purchased a set of Apex wheels for the track. They are 18x10 and weigh approx 12 lbs less per wheel. As for the street, if those weight savings are that important to you then you must be breaking the law on a very regular basis to be able to notice the difference.

I have the performance covered, for the track, where it is important. I want the spacers for the street purely for aesthetics.
IOW, you're saying the spacers come off for the track time.

15 - 20 mm sounds like a difficult place to be. Too thin to use the bolt-on adapter style and thick enough to raise concerns even with a better grade of studs should the lug nuts ever loosen (which they can and sometimes do, especially if you remove and remount the wheels on a frequent basis).

You'd seriously notice 15 or 20 being OK where 23/25 is not? Unless it was a strut-side clearance issue I'm not sure I'd ever notice the difference.

Norm

blown302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 mustang gt/2004 svt cobra/2016 GT PP
I'm running 20mm rear 25mm front and think it looks great. Just drilled the rear wheel pockets a little deeper. No problem.

OP
OP
spiller

spiller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche GT3
Oh sorry I just responded to the original post and assumed the PP wheels were your only set. I'll read the whole thread next time :headbonk:
All good!

IOW, you're saying the spacers come off for the track time.

15 - 20 mm sounds like a difficult place to be. Too thin to use the bolt-on adapter style and thick enough to raise concerns even with a better grade of studs should the lug nuts ever loosen (which they can and sometimes do, especially if you remove and remount the wheels on a frequent basis).

You'd seriously notice 15 or 20 being OK where 23/25 is not? Unless it was a strut-side clearance issue I'm not sure I'd ever notice the difference.
I
Norm
I will not put bolt on adapters on my car. The only type of spacer I would feel comfortable using would be a slip on hub and wheel centric spacer. As mentioned above, I will be using APR extended wheel studs. Provided I use the correct length stud allowing minimum 7.5 turns of the lug nut there shouldn't be any issues with loosening of the lugs?

I can definitely tell the difference between 15 and 25. 1cm is quite a lot when it comes to wheel fitment. The poking tyre look is not for me and it attracts a lot f
negative attention from the police where I live.

I'm running 20mm rear 25mm front and think it looks great. Just drilled the rear wheel pockets a little deeper. No problem.
Any pics?

MtnBiker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
For what it's worth, I'm using 15mm up front and 13mm in back. Look great...the rear is perfect and the fronts probably could come out a bit further but I didn't want spacers any wider (scrub ratio/handling and clearance). Also using ARP studs and racing style forged lugs.

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I will not put bolt on adapters on my car.
Fair enough . . . I never would either.

I will be using APR extended wheel studs. Provided I use the correct length stud allowing minimum 7.5 turns of the lug nut there shouldn't be any issues with loosening of the lugs?
The "one diameter's worth of full-form threads" has more to do with developing joint strength and not stripping threads than preventing loosening.

I can definitely tell the difference between 15 and 25. 1cm is quite a lot when it comes to wheel fitment. The poking tyre look is not for me and it attracts a lot of negative attention from the police where I live.
15 to 25 is one thing but I was thinking more about 20 vs either 23 or 25 where only a 3 - 5 mm difference might not be noticeably better.

Norm

OP
OP
spiller

spiller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche GT3
The "one diameter's worth of full-form threads" has more to do with developing joint strength and not stripping threads than preventing loosening.

15 to 25 is one thing but I was thinking more about 20 vs either 23 or 25 where only a 3 - 5 mm difference might not be noticeably better.

Norm
I see, the extended studs seem to be tried and true (lots of guys running them in the roadcourse forums without issue).

Camber also makes a fair difference as to how the wheel will set, mine will be on the more aggressive side given i'm going to the track so you're right, I probably have some room up my sleeve.

kn7671

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
On my '15 GT, 15mm all around made the car look right, not too aggressive, not too anemic.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I see, the extended studs seem to be tried and true (lots of guys running them in the roadcourse forums without issue).
ARP is THE go-to name in motorsports fasteners. I'll be running their wheel studs on my '08 before its next track day.

Camber also makes a fair difference as to how the wheel will set, mine will be on the more aggressive side given i'm going to the track so you're right, I probably have some room up my sleeve.
If it weren't for slightly out-of-spec camber, my '08 would be poking the tread on the track tires instead of only the wheel flanges and outer sidewalls. Might be too much in your neck of the woods.

picture.jpg

There's actually an 0.6mm spacer, needed for strut side clearance, but other than that it's all wheel, all 11" of it. Perhaps a bit extreme :D .

Norm
Sponsored