Sponsored

1500HP half shafts + 850HP driveshaft - make any sense?

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
I'm planning to go FI of some type (undecided ATM) in my DD in the next 6 months or so. Looking at doing "mods that matter" first, to avoid problems later. Looking at upgrading the half shafts and the driveshaft.

What I'm finding is that many aftermarket driveshafts are rated at 850HP, while half shafts come in two flavors; 850 and 1500HP variants. I will never have a 1000HP car let alone a 1500HP car so aside from that extra measure of security knowing "they'll never break" is there other benefit to having 1500HP-rated half shafts when the driveshaft is only rated for half that?

I like overkill as much as the next guy but the price diff b/t 850 and 1500 HP halfshafts is $400...that's half the price of the driveshaft right there. If the $400 diff amounts to "cheap insurance" I might be OK with that, but would appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks!
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
mikes2017gt

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
Everyone's out doing cool stuff, like racing with their upgraded half shafts and driveshafts...would love to know your thoughts...when you get back from doing cool stuff and all....

ENPhoto

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ErikNymanPhotography.com
First Name
Erik
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Gt Premium Performance Pack
I don't have any thoughts on what's needed or not, but I may be able to provide some insight into the Half Shafts and pricing.

DSS 800's - RA8505X4 & RA8506X4 (800rwhp) - $1150USD
DSS 1400's - RA8505X5 & RA8506X5 (1400rwhp) - $1500USD
DSS 2000's - RA8505X-pro & RA8506X-pro (2000rwhp) - $1400USD

Comparing all three. The 2000's are cheaper than that 1400's...and only 300 bucks more than the 800's. I'd just go with the 2000's.

If you are a fan of Ford Parts, and like G-Force and their technology, for a similar price, you can look into.

Ford - M-4130-MA (1500hp. Built by G-Force) - ~ $1500USD (Ford Racing Parts By Don Wood)

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
Just throwing it out there that if it's your DD and wont see the track, you most likely won't break any drivetrain parts.

Check out ShaftMasters for cheap upgraded driveshafts also

OP
OP
mikes2017gt

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
Thanks guys. Though I haven't brought the car to the track yet, I've been very tempted. I happen to live about 20 mins from the only real dragstrip/1/4 mile track in/near my city. I have a decent understanding of the stresses you put on a vehicle when you run the 1/4 mile on a real track vs. stoplight drags. As my car is my DD and has the stock half shafts/DS/clutch, I haven't done that yet. But if I had a relatively bullet-proof drivetrain I most definitely would, just for the hell of it. :D The clutch will be the last upgrade; it's one of the few parts that usually lets you know it's going out. I'll leave that upgrade for when it dies.

I know the half shafts are a major weak point on the S550, so they're first. If I could get a smoking deal on half shafts and a DS, i'd do both at the same time.

Sponsored

moffetts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Whippled 2015 GT PP
I swear I’ve seen more broken aftermarket shafts than OEM ones, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that the stock one wouldn’t have shredded if put under the same force. I would be very careful about upgrading the DS on a daily, given all of the vibration issues that they bring to the table.

OP
OP
mikes2017gt

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
Vibration issues? First I'm hearing about that, but if true it would concern me. Now, aftermarket DS vibration issues, I've read a lot about and I've been really reading into that. But for halfshafts I was probably just going to pick a set and be done with it.

My car is my DD and I have an 80-mile round trip commute that varies from 80mph interstate to dead-stop in traffic. I am extremely sensitive to vibration...drives me nuts when one of my wheels is out of balance. Maybe I need to read more half-shaft threads before I pull the trigger.

LethalPerformance

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500 CFTP, 2021 Whipple'd F150
I see what you're saying about the power rating of the axles being more than the driveshaft but that's just the way it is. The driveshafts have always had lower ratings than the halfshafts and that goes back to the 2003-2004 cobra years. For the most part on the IRS cars the stock halfdshafts are always the culprit. I've had them break on my 03 cobra and my 2018 GT.

Once I upgraded to the DSS ones along with their driveshaft I never had another issue.

I've also used all 3 different models of their S550 halfshafts and all worked great. 850hp ones on our Ecoboost, 1400hp ones on our 2015 GT and the 2000hp ones on our 2018 GT. At this point with the cost of the 2000hp ones being so close to the 850 ones it just makes sense to run and recommend them over the others.

If you have any other questions please feel free to reach out. We're always here to help.

OP
OP
mikes2017gt

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
Thanks, @LethalPerformance . Really appreciate the detailed reply. Will probably be reaching out to you regarding forum member package deals. :idea:
How do you feel about GForce halfshafts and driveshafts? In my limited research I've read more positive things about their products vs. DSS, but that may also be a function of marketshare. More products sold will always equal more available people to complain.

Sponsored

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
we typically like to build 1 up. we install alot of these on customers cars as well as our own.

1 thing to look at is how you are going to be using the car, is it a manual or auto, and what is the power level of the car.

our 18 is currently making 1100 rwhp, and we have had 0 issues out of the driveshaft. as was mentioned, the d/s always have a lower rating than the halfshafts. but you shouldn't run into an issue. i personally prefer the alum / chromoly setups over the carbon fiber, even though the cf is technically rated for more. i feel more comfortable with alum or chromoly.

halfshafts, if your in a manual, and going to the track, i recommend going straight to the 2000, the 1400 are actually more expensive, so outside of an 18 car, the 2000 is the better value.

if your just a basic setup, then the 800 dss or 850 gforce will be plenty.

we've been mid 7s in our s197, mid 8s in our 15 car, and low 9's on the 18, so if you have any questions when it comes to making power, don't hesitate to hit us up

OP
OP
mikes2017gt

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
Oh, I've got a LONG way to go before I get close to your power levels. LOL! My car is my DD and is currently NA with mostly suspension mods. I plan on going FI soon-ish and want to bulletproof the car as much as possible, hence this thread. For example, I'm also installing a PP radiator as my car is not a PP car to help that much more w/cooling. Trying to do mods that matter in prep for FI. :)

Are the 2000HP axles a direct drop-in, like the Ford Performance 1400-HP axles? I want 100% drop in, don't want to have to cut/grind/etc to get them to fit.

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
Oh, I've got a LONG way to go before I get close to your power levels. LOL! My car is my DD and is currently NA with mostly suspension mods. I plan on going FI soon-ish and want to bulletproof the car as much as possible, hence this thread. For example, I'm also installing a PP radiator as my car is not a PP car to help that much more w/cooling. Trying to do mods that matter in prep for FI. :)

Are the 2000HP axles a direct drop-in, like the Ford Performance 1400-HP axles? I want 100% drop in, don't want to have to cut/grind/etc to get them to fit.
yes, all the dss, gforce, fr are all drop in axles. you shouldn't have a problem with any of the brands

the 800/850 should be plentyfor you then

LethalPerformance

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks, @LethalPerformance . Really appreciate the detailed reply. Will probably be reaching out to you regarding forum member package deals. :idea:
How do you feel about GForce halfshafts and driveshafts? In my limited research I've read more positive things about their products vs. DSS, but that may also be a function of marketshare. More products sold will always equal more available people to complain.
Both DSS and Gforce make great products. Our personal experience is with DSS which is why we mostly recommend them from the get go. Frank@DSS has showed Lethal lots of support since the day we opened in 2005. He's been a part of all of our builds and always had our backs. He's loyal to us so we're loyal to him.

Looking forward to assisting you with your build. If you have any other questions in the meantime please let me know.

Thanks!

LethalPerformance

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

The axles are a fairly simple install. I'm no mechanic and watched Jake from PBH install a set on one of our cars one time. That's all it took was watching and I was able to install a set on another car of ours without any issues. They're 100% bolt-on. No cutting, welding or fabrication to make them fit.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
Sponsored

Last edited: