Sponsored

15 GT rear wheel hub play?!?!

RR5.0PP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 5.0
Sorry if this is a dumb question but I've noticed that my rear wheel hubs have very minimal play. I keep getting this advancetrac service light, abs, slip, and I forgot what other lights. Also my steering feels heavy. Almost like if I didnt have any power steering.

Here is the odd thing. It only happens when I have 20 inch wheels on the car. I sold my last set of 20s due to this problem. I cleaned the wheel hub sensor and put my pp 19inch wheels back on and the lights never came on. Fast forward now, I bought another sets of 20 inch wheels and the same lights popped up again. Now I'm wondering if the wheel hubs have something to do with these lights coming on?

A while back I did run over a big dog (it was dead already). I've looked under the car and I havent noticed any wires that are torn due to that accident. So I'm guessing it might be my wheel hubs. I dont hear any weird noises when I'm driving but they do have some small play which I dont know if thats normal or not. Anyone else have any suggestions on what can possibly trigger these lights?
Sponsored

CompOrangeFanatic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium /2019 Toyota Camry XSE V6
Since nobody replied to this, I'll reply. It's likely a rear wheel speed sensor that's failing or the wheel hub bearing itself. I just had the left rear wheel hub assembly replaced under warranty on my 15' GT with factory 20" wheels. The wheel speed sensor is part of the wheel hub assembly if I'm correct. I got all the same warning indicators as you did. My lights would go off for a few minutes and then go away. Continued driving would result in the same thing happening. After everything was replaced, I haven't had the problem again. I did some research here on the forums and it looks like its a fairly common problem. My car has 38K on it currently.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
It’s been known and documented by quite a few members of this site that the wheel hubs (more so rears than fronts) have been and are failing with low mileage. I’ve seen reports of guys getting rear wheel hubs replaced with under 4K mikes, while others have been lucky enough to get past 20k miles before replacing.

Here’s just a single thread with another imbedded:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/rear-wheel-hub-bearing-failure.101085/

If the car is still under the 3/36, they are covered by the warranty. Also some folks have had to replace hubs 2 and 3x.

If you’re out of warranty and can do the job on your own:

Get TIMKEN or the MOOG hubs, both are excellent quality.

CompOrangeFanatic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium /2019 Toyota Camry XSE V6
It’s been known and documented by quite a few members of this site that the wheel hubs (more so rears than fronts) have been and are failing with low mileage. I’ve seen reports of guys getting rear wheel hubs replaced with under 4K mikes, while others have been lucky enough to get past 20k miles before replacing.

Here’s just a single thread with another imbedded:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/rear-wheel-hub-bearing-failure.101085/

If the car is still under the 3/36, they are covered by the warranty. Also some folks have had to replace hubs 2 and 3x.

If you’re out of warranty and can do the job on your own:

Get TIMKEN or the MOOG hubs, both are excellent quality.
Yeah, I was lucky and got 38k out of mine.

fmc_smt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 gt , 2015 Escape , 2015 F250
Vehicle Showcase
My left just failed , 24k on the odo . FYI the hubs are covered under the 5/60 powertrain warranty .
Sponsored