Frank.Herbst

Frank.Herbst

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
What on the GT350 is form over function?
One thing Ford said is the big opening on the GT500 is to grab lots of air. Funny though most race cars are very aerodynamic in the front. We all know Ford already put lots of form/function into the GT350.
Sponsored

smsgt350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt350 magnetic/black tech
Absolutely agree on the timeless look of it. It is however a big car in person compared to sleeker sports car.
But from a distance those lower plastic aero trim accents are my favorite. Especially in brighter colors.

I switched from a C7 Z51 and that had great angles to it except for the skinny rear (GS and Z06 fix that).
I have a buddy with a 2015 C7 Z51 who is always trying to talk me into getting one. He feels his car is superior in every way other than the sound.I have never driven his car and he has never driven mine so just curious how you would compare the two from a drivers perspective?

Roy_350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Roy
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350, 2019 Edge ST, 2020 Ford Ranger XLT
IMHO the GT500 is the evaluation of functionality while trying to maintain product identity. Look at Porsche and the 911 and Ford and the Mustang they both try to wring the most out of their respective platforms.

As long as the GT500 fulfills its benchmarks of performance it will notch its place in automotive history. The $64 question today what will that future foot print look like a decade plus in the future.

GrimLemur

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kent
Vehicle(s)
2020 Grabber Lime GT350, 2016 Black C7 Corvette Z51 (sold)
I have a buddy with a 2015 C7 Z51 who is always trying to talk me into getting one. He feels his car is superior in every way other than the sound.I have never driven his car and he has never driven mine so just curious how you would compare the two from a drivers perspective?
Great question. I had the Vette for over 3 years.

I will say I was in the same camp of Corvette superiority until I drove a GT350.
C7 is still the best overall sports car for the money. But it just ain't all about performance.
I'd much rather enjoy the car I'm driving that trying to impress the majority.

Jumping from one to another immediately theres some things that stuck out to me:
  • C7 is super low and it doesn't handle rough roads very well
    • run flats are stiff and you wince over a pot hole
    • It hardly EVER scraped the front comparatively
      • I didn't have the optional splitter (looks tacky AF on a Z51; GS and up look great IMO)
  • You can feel the weight difference and distribution (GT350 is slightly more nose heavy)
    • I'm nowhere near as confident with the brakes. They are bigger on the GT350 but GM has brakes and chassis down
    • GT350 will not kill you with oversteer
  • Exhaust was louder on the C7 with the top down (awesome experience at night)
    • hits the rev limiter quick and the engine was lazier to rev
    • more ferocious sound compared to the exotic flat-plane
  • My main takeaway: C7 at the limit is where it's at. It belongs on some serious backroads or the track.
Here's where the GT350 excels:
  • More rewarding to drive
    • Steering, shifter, engine
  • Exhaust is super fun and I leave it in 2nd gear most of the time to get those smiles per gallon (9 vs 14 mpg!)
Summary:
C7 does everything well. Has more sport prowess and tech (aka more things to break). Attracts more f-bois and geezers (read: automatics and mod posturing).
GT350 is closer to connecting you to the excitement of going out for a drive. There's no fluff. Attracts more serious drivers and has brought me to a more focused local car community.

Sponsored

smsgt350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt350 magnetic/black tech
Great question. I had the Vette for over 3 years.

I will say I was in the same camp of Corvette superiority until I drove a GT350.
C7 is still the best overall sports car for the money. But it just ain't all about performance.
I'd much rather enjoy the car I'm driving that trying to impress the majority.

Jumping from one to another immediately theres some things that stuck out to me:
  • C7 is super low and it doesn't handle rough roads very well
    • run flats are stiff and you wince over a pot hole
    • It hardly EVER scraped the front comparatively
      • I didn't have the optional splitter (looks tacky AF on a Z51; GS and up look great IMO)
  • You can feel the weight difference and distribution (GT350 is slightly more nose heavy)
    • I'm nowhere near as confident with the brakes. They are bigger on the GT350 but GM has brakes and chassis down
    • GT350 will not kill you with oversteer
  • Exhaust was louder on the C7 with the top down (awesome experience at night)
    • hits the rev limiter quick and the engine was lazier to rev
    • more ferocious sound compared to the exotic flat-plane
  • My main takeaway: C7 at the limit is where it's at. It belongs on some serious backroads or the track.
Here's where the GT350 excels:
  • More rewarding to drive
    • Steering, shifter, engine
  • Exhaust is super fun and I leave it in 2nd gear most of the time to get those smiles per gallon (9 vs 14 mpg!)
Summary:
C7 does everything well. Has more sport prowess and tech (aka more things to break). Attracts more f-bois and geezers (read: automatics and mod posturing).
GT350 is closer to connecting you to the excitement of going out for a drive. There's no fluff. Attracts more serious drivers and has brought me to a more focused local car community.
Thanks for the detailed write up! I am all about the driving experience and still having fun with my 350 after 4 years so Ive decided its here to stay. Im curious about the new C8 Z06 coming out as it sounds like it may be a fun beast and have room in the driveway for it when the time is right.

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
Thanks for the detailed write up! I am all about the driving experience and still having fun with my 350 after 4 years so Ive decided its here to stay. Im curious about the new C8 Z06 coming out as it sounds like it may be a fun beast and have room in the driveway for it when the time is right.
I’m seconding you on that one.
Sponsored