Sponsored

15-17 Cam Opinions

Medusa5oh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP1
Hello All!
Hope everyone had a great Father’s Day weekend. I own a 2015 Mustang GT that will be getting a supercharger system in the near future (ie. Whipple or VMP). I’ve owned tons of mustangs in the past and all of them have had cams both from a performance aspect but also for sound. I’ve always enjoyed that old school chop. I’ve considered doing cams on this car but I know the only real way to get the sound is the lockout my cams. My two questions are 1. How do cam lockouts affect drive ability? If I wanted to street drive it or take it to work will it drive relatively clean? I know it’s all in the tune as well, so please speak on your experience from that aspect. Question 2. What cams would be a nice complimenting mod to a blower setup? I know their has been many forums on debating whether cams are worth it but if I could get more performance and the sound it would be all worth it to me, so long as it drives relatively good on the street.
Thank you very much!
Sponsored

Mustangfreek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15’ GT
Following as Im genuinely interested in the same questions and info

To piggyback? What’s all needed to lockout the cams and make em choppy :)

Stephen@lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Gt500
Hello All!
Hope everyone had a great Father’s Day weekend. I own a 2015 Mustang GT that will be getting a supercharger system in the near future (ie. Whipple or VMP). I’ve owned tons of mustangs in the past and all of them have had cams both from a performance aspect but also for sound. I’ve always enjoyed that old school chop. I’ve considered doing cams on this car but I know the only real way to get the sound is the lockout my cams. My two questions are 1. How do cam lockouts affect drive ability? If I wanted to street drive it or take it to work will it drive relatively clean? I know it’s all in the tune as well, so please speak on your experience from that aspect. Question 2. What cams would be a nice complimenting mod to a blower setup? I know their has been many forums on debating whether cams are worth it but if I could get more performance and the sound it would be all worth it to me, so long as it drives relatively good on the street.
Thank you very much!

Hope you had a great Fathers Day as well this weekend. In regards to cams on a gen 2 coyote, you'd be looking at a decent cost to have them installed and not really a big performance gain from them as the stock cams actually flow extremely well. To put it into perspective a bit, my old 2017 5.0 made 1200whp with the stock cams and it was still flowing very well up top.

If you still prefer to do a cam swap, Comp cams makes some great options that are drop in and no spring required, however you won't really get that classic cammed sound from them until you do a phaser lock out setup for them. If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to shoot me a message anytime. Lethalperformance.com

Andrew@Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2003 10th Anniversary Cobra / 2003 Ford Lightning
Hello All!
Thank you very much!
I would advise NOT to do cams on a daily driven car they do affect drivability. If it was a weekend warrior i'd say go for it. However if it is a MUST for you I would stick with Stage 1 Comp Cams. Those would provide some chop and still give you "tolerable" drivability. Comp Cams 243420 2015-2017 5.0L Coyote CR Series NSR Cams (N/A Stage 1). You would be better off putting the money right into a supercharger kit like a Whipple.

Sponsored

gimmie11s

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Murica!
Juice aint worth the squeeze on these cars ESPECIALLY if you already plan to go F/I.

Max effort N/A build, they're a must -- but car is going to drive like ass pretty much everywhere except WOT.

Barrel

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars and Trucks
L&M also make a set of cams which is what I run. I was having my heads rebuilt anyway so sliding in new cams didn't add significantly to my cost of labor.

Black Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
L&M also make a set of cams which is what I run. I was having my heads rebuilt anyway so sliding in new cams didn't add significantly to my cost of labor.
Hello All!
Thank you very much!
Comp Cams offers a cam for 2015 thru 2017 engines called the Mutha Thumpr, that according to their web page offers that old school sound.