15-17’ Ford performance pack 1 vs 2

Sgray0913

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang GT
Okay, so I’m doing a comparison to the stage 1 vs the stage 2 performance pack.
I first purchased the stage one. And yes I could totally feel a difference even from the bama “ e-tune” I previously had. Crisper throttle response, just all around smoother then the e-tune and or stock oem calibrations.

I wanted more..

so I bought the stage two power pack. And from my own opinion basing off of real road driving experience its WORSE then the oem/e-tune I had prior to the modifications.
I don’t understand, bigger throttle body/CAI and calibration right? All oem ford parts. So I went back and compared logs..
I was very disappointed. They are almost IDENTICAL. The only difference I see is that stage 1 will lean out significantly more, and earlier.

everything else was identical,
Spark advance, MAF rate, Ign timing, ext..

it feels very sluggish compared to the stage 1. Frustrating to spend a lot more money for worse results.

has anyone else went from stage 1 to stage 2 with same complaints?
Sponsored

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
I only have stage 2. I like it, but it also causes engine detonation, I removed it eventually.

I believe stage 2 has higher redline, so they are not 100% identical.

P.s. Now I wonder if I should try pp1. What if it does not detonate on my car.

Last edited:

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
I'd like to have a .HPT or even a SCT read of the stage 1 Ford tune.

OP
OP

Sgray0913

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang GT
I haven’t noticed really any issues with it. I’m just disappointed with stage 2. If I could of felt/seen the real world difference’s I would of stuck with stage 1.

and I second having .HPT or SCT reading it

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
I haven’t noticed really any issues with it. I’m just disappointed with stage 2. If I could of felt/seen the real world difference’s I would of stuck with stage 1.

and I second having .HPT or SCT reading it
I think there might be something wrong with your pp2 installation. I definitely liked mine, how it transforms the engine, and most of pp2 users at the forum like it.

Two concerns people have is:

- for some the engine detonates. So far noone came up with any reliable solution for the issue. I do not think this is limited to pp2 though.

- gt350 intake was designed for gt350 hood. It does suck heat big time as well as heavy rain water through the hood vent.

I solved #2 but never was able to solve #1.

Edit: also, even though gt350 intake and tb are bigger diameter the air still gets into standard diameter intake manifold. So to me it is half gimmick.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP

Sgray0913

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang GT
One thing I did notice is after I flashed the tune I get a “flicker” of all power to the car. like the light, engine, everything will have a split second of power loss.

when it stops raining here I’m going to try and re-flash it and do a few more logs

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
One thing I did notice is after I flashed the tune I get a “flicker” of all power to the car. like the light, engine, everything will have a split second of power loss.

when it stops raining here I’m going to try and re-flash it and do a few more logs
Did you start your pp2 install from OEM tune?

OP
OP

Sgray0913

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang GT
Yes, I removed the pp1 first, then re installed the pp2. At first I didn’t think I did, or I didn’t do it correctly. But even if so I wouldn’t think it would stay running with the gt350 throttle body?

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
Yes, I removed the pp1 first, then re installed the pp2. At first I didn’t think I did, or I didn’t do it correctly. But even if so I wouldn’t think it would stay running with the gt350 throttle body?
Due to engine detonation I reinstalled pp2 several times and the result was very consistent. But every time there was some substantial period of time I drove on OEM tune until the next attempt.

The only thing I might suggest would be - uninstall your pp and drive on OEM tune for some time, like a week. Then try again.

Also, how hot is it in your area? Just watch intake temperature at the dashboard as you stay at traffic lighyts. Gt350 intake in a GT sucks a LOT of hot under the hood air.

Maybe they did not test a straight power pack upgrade at ford performance.

P.S. I feel adventurous. Might try to install PP1. Too bad they do not let you unpair power pack from VIN. I'd get yours :) And I'd sell my pp2 :)

Last edited:
OP
OP

Sgray0913

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang GT
I will definitely try that. It’s been pretty damn hot here in KS.
it’s not my daily driver so I’ll uninstall,out Some miles on it and try again.

yeah ford gets you there with VIN lock! I may just spend the money and possible try a Palm Beach Dyno tune, or similar, if anything just to compare tables and logs. I’ve been fascinated with the break down of all the data and comparing of it anyways.

Sponsored

Paul McWhiskey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium w/PP
How ae you determining that detonation is occurring? I have PP2 and do not have any issues that I am aware of.

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
How ae you determining that detonation is occurring? I have PP2 and do not have any issues that I am aware of.
Good for you.

I could hear it with windows down, something reflective on the side, like a wall, and then accelerate hard. In my case it was most typical around 3k rpms.

Meatball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT
I heard it when my car had PP3 on 91. Needed to turn on “octane adjust”

Brazos609

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP Recaro
I'd like to have a .HPT or even a SCT read of the stage 1 Ford tune.
I thought those files were posted up on the HPT forums? What's needed to gather the info? What's the best OBDII bluetooth dongle?

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
No one has posted the FRPP1 tune. I have been looking for a few years.

You will need a MPVI2 to read it and save the file.
Sponsored