PKs

PK's
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Fastback
I understand that the 15,000klm one year service done by the dealer is $445. I am nowhere near that time yet but I am curious if anyone has got their dealer to use owner supplied engine oil and had a price reduction on the service price. I am thinking of going with Liqui Moly Special Tec F with maybe the addition of Liqui Moly Ceratec. I am supposing it might be a stretch to get them to add the Ceratec (being an additive) in the service but if it wasn't done at the time the oil level might be too high to add.
In the same vein, is it really worth getting the dealer to do the servicing or should I go independent. Does the dealers equipment/diagnostics/ knowledge make it a good idea to use them.
Sponsored

radar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible 5 Litre V8
Two schools of thought on dealer servicing.

I prefer remain with Ford so there is absolutely no come back in event of Air cond/oil cooler or other catastrophic failure.

Have Six year extended Ford Factory Warranty and want it serviced in their workshops by their technicians, using their equipment to their specification.

I don’t see how independent workshops have same level of Mustang knowledge/equipment/diagnostics and access to technical service bulletins. Not sure if only a Ford dealer can update your Sync 3

I’ve had no problems with warranty claims on couple of trim issues with my selling dealer. Happy to maintain the relationship in case anything bad happens.

Last year for first service I got a 10% discount and they paid for my 12 months RACV membership.

Reactions: PKs
OP
OP
PKs

PKs

PK's
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Fastback

I prefer remain with Ford so there is absolutely no come back in event of Air cond/oil cooler or other catastrophic failure.

Have Six year extended Ford Factory Warranty and want it serviced in their workshops by their technicians, using their equipment to their specification.

I don’t see how independent workshops have same level of Mustang knowledge/equipment/diagnostics and access to technical service bulletins. Not sure if only a Ford dealer can update your Sync 3

I’ve had no problems with warranty claims on couple of trim issues with my selling dealer. Happy to maintain the relationship in case anything bad happens.

Last year for first service I got a 10% discount and they paid for my 12 months RACV membership.
Thanks for your feedback Ray. As per your experience I have had not one issue with warranty issues. I am a bit sceptical here that this is because it is probably good income for the dealers. Anyone who gets their Mustang serviced at the dealer gets RACQ membership but it is only the lowest scale version worth less than $100/year. Don't get me wrong, I do want to have faith in the dealership servicing but the fact that a basic service costs $445 and whether I can get them to discount that if I BYO oil is what my concern is. My car is in at the moment for warranty repairs for an electronic problem due to a water leak causing corroded wiring and I will pose the question with them. If anyone has done BYO I would be interested in knowing.

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
Hi Peter I can't comment on BYO but the cost of servicing seems to vary quite a bit so it might be worth looking around, obviously convenience and things like loan cars need to be considered when weighing options.

I agree with Ray there's the advantage of less hassle if an issue arises - seems to be quite a bit of goodwill from dealers at the moment - and also re TSBs which are also important to have addressed while in warranty and Synch 3 etc .

How much would you save over the life of the warranty by supplying your own oil once the RACQ is deducted from the price, possibly just a few hundred?

Hornet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT

FYI, you can do your own Sync3 updates. Unless you specifically mean maps, then yeah i guess Ford only.

Re knowing your Mustang. I think they have the tech manuals etc so should have what they need readily available but there are other shops out there that have worked on and serviced many, and tbh i'd think would have the same level of expertise and potentially care more. Some of my experiences with Ford servicing have been lackluster since some trade off the name and don't care since they'll get the work regardless. A shop with a good reputation tries to maintain that.

There's good and bad in all. Either way do plenty of research on which shop (Ford or independent) and you probably won't go wrong. I know of one apparently very decent dealership in Melbourne from my previous model fast ford group. FWIW also if your car is serviced by a qualified mechanic and logbook is stamped then they need damn good grounds to reject any warranty...that being said, i wouldn't put it past some dodgey dealerships to try it on.

Sponsored

dirtysanchez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
P250 Ute, 2 x f6’s and now 2017 got. Always provided the oil. Never had it questioned. Supplied filter for mustang then got questioned. Said ok, do it your way. Phone call 2 hours later saying their filter doesn’t fit. No shit boys, tried to tell ya. Sorted tho. Now they don’t question..........

DRU842

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ecoboost Lightning Blue
Hi PKs, I've just had the 45,000km service at the selling dealer & supplied my own oil (Royal Purple) at each of the three scheduled services. The bill has been discounted each time and the left over oil, returned with the car. I had the optional tyre rotate, balance & brake fluid flush done. Map updates (there was a sticker on the Syn 3 screen at the last service), 1 year NRMA membership included. I have done Sync updates myself but there is a note on the service that the latest version is installed. No Warren work needed this time but I have had the aircon evaporator issue sorted at the same dealer awhile ago.
No pain, except for the wallet and no apparent drama with the mods to the car.

OP
OP
PKs

PKs

PK's
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Fastback
Hi PKs, I've just had the 45,000km service at the selling dealer & supplied my own oil (Royal Purple) at each of the three scheduled services. The bill has been discounted each time and the left over oil, returned with the car. I had the optional tyre rotate, balance & brake fluid flush done. Map updates (there was a sticker on the Syn 3 screen at the last service), 1 year NRMA membership included. I have done Sync updates myself but there is a note on the service that the latest version is installed. No Warren work needed this time but I have had the aircon evaporator issue sorted at the same dealer awhile ago.
No pain, except for the wallet and no apparent drama with the mods to the car.
Andrew & Dirtysanchez, that is exactly what I was hoping to hear, thanks. With the precedent set I will put it on my dealer to use byo oil. I like the idea of having some say in what goes on. If they oblige me there I will be more than happy to have them do my servicing. I have been very satisfied with their warranty work done to date.

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
Hi Peter FWIW I'd suggest that if you call them first to ask about BYO, also ask them straight out if it will affect warranty and note the person's name. Then when you pick it up get them to annotate the service record that supply of own oil will not affect the warranty. Might seem unecessarily picky but if there's a claim in the future you really don't want to be delayed or hassled by any questions arising/attempting dodging of the warranty as a result. Just a bit of ar$e covering should you need it.

OP
OP
PKs

PKs

PK's
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Fastback
Hi Peter FWIW I'd suggest that if you call them first to ask about BYO, also ask them straight out if it will affect warranty and note the person's name. Then when you pick it up get them to annotate the service record that supply of own oil will not affect the warranty. Might seem unecessarily picky but if there's a claim in the future you really don't want to be delayed or hassled by any questions arising/attempting dodging of the warranty as a result. Just a bit of ar$e covering should you need it.
Thanks GT 550, good advice.

Sponsored

Burgo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT 5.0L, 2014 FPV F6
I understand that the 15,000klm one year service done by the dealer is $445. I am nowhere near that time yet but I am curious if anyone has got their dealer to use owner supplied engine oil and had a price reduction on the service price. I am thinking of going with Liqui Moly Special Tec F with maybe the addition of Liqui Moly Ceratec. I am supposing it might be a stretch to get them to add the Ceratec (being an additive) in the service but if it wasn't done at the time the oil level might be too high to add.
In the same vein, is it really worth getting the dealer to do the servicing or should I go independent. Does the dealers equipment/diagnostics/ knowledge make it a good idea to use them.
Not my Mustang but my F6, I take my own oil and it takes $190 off the bill.

OP
OP
PKs

PKs

PK's
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Fastback
Thanks Keith, just what I wanted to know. I have decided to go this way and am looking at either Liqui-Moly Special Tec F or Royal Purple HPS. I have a feeling though that the Royal Purple does not meet the required spec. of WSS-M2C913-D in which case it could jeopardize any future warranty claims. I intend on speaking to Royal Purple during the coming week to get the low down on it. I do note though that others are using it so it well may comply.

OP
OP
PKs

PKs

PK's
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Fastback
If you don't have the log book stamped by a qualified mechanic your warranty is at risk for all drive train issues anyhow
Yesterday I got a local workshop to change my oil and filter. My car was at at 3,500 klms and I wanted to have a change before the annual service. There does not appear to be an allocation in the service record book for mid term services so I will leave it at that. At the annual service I will get the dealer to look after it but supply my own oil and filter. I used Royal Purple HPS oil and K & N oil filter and will do the same with the dealer. I think what I am doing is OK.

Burgo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT 5.0L, 2014 FPV F6
Yesterday I got a local workshop to change my oil and filter. My car was at at 3,500 klms and I wanted to have a change before the annual service. There does not appear to be an allocation in the service record book for mid term services so I will leave it at that. At the annual service I will get the dealer to look after it but supply my own oil and filter. I used Royal Purple HPS oil and K & N oil filter and will do the same with the dealer. I think what I am doing is OK.
I would supply my own oil that meets Ford specs but get them to use a genuine Motorcraft filter, that way they won't have any comeback for any possible warranty issues. Motorcraft filters are cheap enough anyway so you wouldn't be saving much by supplying your own but could leave yourself open to them blaming the filter you supplied should anything go wrong.
Sponsored