Vile_the_Bastage

of Clan Bastage
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Internet Legend
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
Such as? What "quality and mechanical issues" exist with the S550 platform that don't with the 11-14s?
I've had a love hate relationship with the IRS to be honest. Gave Steeda a lot of money to get it sorted out. Oh and then there are the toothpick half shafts.

435 at the crank.... toothpick half shafts....
Sponsored

Agent_S550

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT PP
I love both cars. I test drove a 13 Redfire GT premium 6 speed car home when I was looking. They had traded it in at the dealership I worked for at the time. Poked around in it. Liked it a lot but it's a car that feels big, heavy, and kind of floaty (stock suspension car). I decided I was going to buy it but after doing the math, the numbers came back and a base PP GT fit my budget as well. I said "What the hell" and test drove a silver PP GT base 6 speed car.

The refinement, interior layout, looks, brakes and ride quality are worth the slightly slower ET's. The car still hauls ass for bone stock. I don't need 1/4 ET to account for why I buy a car. I look at the whole package.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Ive been a mustang fan but never an owner.. always had vettes and camaros etc. The gen before the s550.. s197 I think? got my interest with the return of the coyote.. but what a bloody turd that car was, and is. I had an e46 M3 at the time so it only pointed out all the flaws in the car which was pretty much EVERYTHING except the motor. The s550.. is a giant leaps and bounds ahead. From chassi dynamics, interior styling design and quality, suspension refinement.. not to forget no more farm tractor rear-axle :lol:, its that good. So good I bought one and have no regrets. I will say that I do really love a well modded s197... they can look dam good...
The best mods you can do to an S197 (of any vintage) have nothing to do with appearance. Stick-axle and all, they can be turned into decent track-day (road course, not just drag strip) performers without a whole lot of trouble. Even the 4.6L cars.

Heh . . . I wonder if the BMW drivers I keep up with around the turns at the local road course ever get "heartbroken"?

Norm

Sponsored

TheReaper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shadow Black GT
The best mods you can do to an S197 (of any vintage) have nothing to do with appearance. Stick-axle and all, they can be turned into decent track-day (road course, not just drag strip) performers without a whole lot of trouble. Even the 4.6L cars.

Heh . . . I wonder if the BMW drivers I keep up with around the turns at the local road course ever get "heartbroken"?

Norm
The s550 GT was supposed to destroy the 12-13 BOSS and that didn't
happen.:D

moto111

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
on a road course I would take a S550 over a boss

Agent_S550

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT PP
The s550 GT was supposed to destroy the 12-13 BOSS and that didn't
happen.:D
Boss is a specialty car. It's a mile above the regular GT of that body style. You're comparing apples to oranges. Compare the GT to a GT then you have a legitimate argument. But I'll take the big cheese argument..

Compare the GT350R with the Boss Laguna Seca since they were/are the premier "Handling" cars of the two different generations. Consider that the Boss did have a different iteration of the 5.0 in it. It used Recaro's. Had quite a few solid advancements in chassis and suspension etc. The Shelby is the new version of the Boss as far as I'm concerned. Lets take a look at lap times shall we?

Laguna Seca Raceway

The Boss Laguna Seca from 14' clocked in at 1:39.50
The Shelby GT350R from 16' clocked in at 1:36.11

Both track cars. Both special editions. Both the best of the best for their body style. Over 3 seconds faster around Mazda raceway is substantial.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Boss is a specialty car. It's a mile above the regular GT of that body style. You're comparing apples to oranges.
It wasn't him, it was Ford Motor Company that compared apples to oranges. The target for the S550 Performance Pack was to outrun the S197 Boss 302. From Dave Pericak himself.

Sponsored

15GTBEN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SRT Hellcat A8, 2019 Tesla Model 3 Performance
OP is a troll.
He dropped that first post (second post on this forum)and never returned, lol.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Laguna Seca Raceway

The Boss Laguna Seca from 14' clocked in at 1:39.50
The Shelby GT350R from 16' clocked in at 1:36.11

Both track cars. Both special editions. Both the best of the best for their body style. Over 3 seconds faster around Mazda raceway is substantial.
All that really shows is what about 80 more HP, at least 400 more usable rpm, wheels an inch or more wider with 50mm more front tire and 30mm more rear tire can do for you. You'd need comparative datalogs to conclude much else.

Norm

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
All that really shows is what about 80 more HP, at least 400 more usable rpm, wheels an inch or more wider with 50mm more front tire and 30mm more rear tire can do for you. You'd need comparative datalogs to conclude much else.

Norm
While I don't disagree that you would need data to prove that the IRS/platform allowed for better laptimes, all other variables being equal, I would present to you the data of the GT PP being 1 sec faster around Grattan than the Boss (non-LS). That was done with less HP and less tire. The key difference to the Laguna Seca comparison? Grattan isn't a particularly smooth track, and has lots of off-camber corners and elevation changes where an IRS would be helpful.

Agent_S550

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT PP

Norm
Okay?

That's a mute argument. The purpose of the comparison is to show the better car. The differences between the two, like the tires, horsepower, and RPM's, are what makes it the better car. Pointing out the differences and saying "Well their's your difference" doesn't negate the fact that one is clearly faster/better.

If you want to come back with "Well then you can just do a few mods to the S197 and.." argument, let me retort. You can do even more to the S550 chassis. Throw the S197 on a bumpy track and watch it flail about. IRS has and always will be the better choice for a proper track car. The capabilities of the S550 chassis far exceed those of the S197. Even when you factor in Watts link/Torque Arm

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd base
The S550 is much better in terms of all around driving dynamics. It also has a vastly more appealing interior. I gather that these things are important to most of the folks who bought one. The OP obviously prioritizes acceleration performance. You don't have to agree with the guy.

The S197 is why A lot of us are here. An excellent experience with the previous generation is the best way to sell a new car. The S550's weight increase is well justified but I too had a hard time turning in a paid-for car that I loved for one that was slower (even if only a little bit) and worth almost 2x my trade-in value.

I'm paying very close attention to the 2018 refresh. I think the OP should do the same before making any decisions.

Why the :lol::lol::lol:
You know the scrawny punk in high school who latches on to the big bully and cackles in the background? That's Todd.

Just use the ignore feature.
Sponsored