Trubullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
KD
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt, 21 Mach 1
This is very concerning.
Now I have to look under my car all the time.
Wonder how common this is and will it eventually happen to all of us??
I gotta šŸ‘€ also
Sponsored

SMOKE46

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach1
Vehicle Showcase
Hope this isnā€™t a assembly line issue,where person isnā€™t torquing it to specs, or maybe rear end wrap and we need a pan hard bar or something for rear end wrap

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
Hope this isnā€™t a assembly line issue,where person isnā€™t torquing it to specs, or maybe rear end wrap and we need a pan hard bar or something for rear end wrap
Or the hard line is just a wee bit too short.

I think we can expect to see supply issues in terms of part quality for a while.

cmxPPL219

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Here is a picture showing the fitting from Mitchell.

download.jpg
Yeah, this type of fitting (called "Quick-Connect") a few other domestic OEMs like Chrysler use it for various hydraulic line fitting attachments, just like transmission cooling, for e.g.

The clip is what ensures the line in stays in - it doesn't seal the fluid in. The line has a lip that matches the clip and the part that is indexed/keyed. The clip pops out either with a special tool, or a correct-sized pick.
Meanwhile, the Quick-Connect or hex end of the fitting, attached to the diff cover, has o-ring(s) usually, which is what actually should seal the fluid in, on this side of things.

Can't say for sure, but as Lee said, based on the pics, the leak is coming from the hex "Quick-Connect" segment of the line, as that is the component that usually has the o-ring(s). Perhaps an o-ring became out-of-spec or if they are actually in there to begin with, crushed, or who knows what.

OP and all others having this problem - hope it doesn't end being too much of an issue sourcing parts with all that's going on. Coolers and lines always presents this greater risk of leakage (across ALL OEMs) but really didn't think you guys would be facing this problem this soon. Hopefully it isn't a widespread issue.

Some may remember early GT350/R had a recall for the oil cooler lines, but those, if IIRC, leaked from the crimp of the rubber hose leading to and from the exchanger.

Keep us all updated :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Sponsored

cmxPPL219

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Yea, that's what I was trying to figure out, as an "o-ring" didn't make sense to me, but from the angle of the image, it was hard to tell if that was a clip too. I think as you said, if the clip is released, and the hose is pushed in as far as it will go and the clip is then locked, I don't think the leak should persist.

It's worth a shot at trying to see... just spray off all of the residual fluid all over everything and dry to determine if the attempted fix works or not.
Yeah, I also agree with this.
Working with cars, I've seen where new cars leak slightly in various oil/fluid gasket/o-ring locations, and after a while, they are fine.
It's almost as if the gaskets were made slightly out of spec, but some brief exposure to heat or fluid "swelled them" enough and/or to spec to seal stuff in from then on.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Madtel4

Madtel4

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
21 MACH 1, HP 1064, 20 Ranger XLT & 20 Explorer ST
I found this. The o ring is inside this part the clips just keep the nipple in place.
Lee

MACH 1 OIL LEAK PART.jpg

DR3Z-6K741-A.jpg

cmxPPL219

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
Same, Iā€™m below 200 miles though. Earliest dealer can get me in is Tuesday.
9FA83A8F-0A25-457B-8F8E-050ED872C8C9.jpeg
You don't have a Harley Davidson decal on the rear window do you ? :facepalm: šŸ™„

Sponsored
OP
OP
Madtel4

Madtel4

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
21 MACH 1, HP 1064, 20 Ranger XLT & 20 Explorer ST
Trip to dealer went as I suspected. They looked "yes it is leaking we need to order this part". It will take four or five days. I had them top off the the oil. I have a big piece of cardboard to put under it.
Lee

ACMEguy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 FJG HP 'M3162'
Guess itā€™s my turn for the MikeyTX experience, eh? No, no clue where that came from either.
I might hazard a guess... aren't Harleys considered 'a rolling oil leak'? I am just shootin' in the dark here...

Nardly

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bernard
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach 1 Twister Orange M2425 Chassis
I might hazard a guess... aren't Harleys considered 'a rolling oil leak'? I am just shootin' in the dark here...
Back in the AMF days. My 85 Wideglide never leaked a drop.

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
Sold my 01 Night train with oil leaking out the top.
I did ride that thing like it was a crochrocket

Last edited:

JuicySmollet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Juicy
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 (M2440)
I'm assuming (yes ass outta you and me) this is not trans specific (since the autos get 3.55s)
Sponsored