Sponsored

10R80 Owners - ULTIMATE M6G 10R80 Facts + Resolutions to harsh or no shift conditions

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
A consistent roll on the throttle helps a lot Ive discovered at higher speeds. Stabbing it seems to help kick it out of 10th/9th with a smoother result without using the paddles.
Thanks. I haven’t tried using the paddles yet. I’m at about 550 miles, so I’m hesitant to use them yet. Want to get a few more miles for the trans to learn before I start using them
Sponsored

Bluey81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT Premium(waiting), '12 Focus Titanium
Thanks. I haven’t tried using the paddles yet. I’m at about 550 miles, so I’m hesitant to use them yet. Want to get a few more miles for the trans to learn before I start using them

Im close to 800. Im in the same camp as you. Let it sort itself out first then get on it. Just in time to store it lol.

sirben711

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Ecoboost 10R80 w/ FP Tune
Took my 2019 GT into the ford dealership. The transmission was shifting harshly and in between shifts there is some vibration/studder. It’s very prominent and it replicates every single time. They reflashed the trans which helped with the shifts they are a ton smoother but the vibration/studder is still there. I can also replicate it for longer in 6th gear at about 1500 rpm. In SPORT mode I do not hear or feel the studder as much or at all.
Mine also studders. My local ford dealers (3 of them) tell me this is normal. I disagree.

sirben711

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
I do have a serious question. About 8 months ago I took my car in for very harsh downshifts. They overhauled the valve body (they told me they swapped a few internal parts of the valve body - but not the whole thing). This mostly solved my harsh downshifts.

However, since then, a strange sound has developed while sitting idle at a stop light, drive thru or parking in my garage - there is a high pitched whining/ringing noise. This noise can only be heard with the windows down (how I drive 70% of the year) and seems to be louder when the transmission is up to temp. The noise goes away the moment the car starts to move though.

I have tried to record the sound... but the frequency is too high to be picked up. Changing between PRND will change the pitch of the noise.

I have tried to get my local dealer to listen to it the last time I was in - but they didn't have time.
Is this an issue? What could be making that noise? Its been this way since the repair...

Sponsored

1 old racer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2018 Royal Crimson GT PP1 prem., and others
Vehicle Showcase
I do have a serious question. About 8 months ago I took my car in for very harsh downshifts. They overhauled the valve body (they told me they swapped a few internal parts of the valve body - but not the whole thing). This mostly solved my harsh downshifts.

However, since then, a strange sound has developed while sitting idle at a stop light, drive thru or parking in my garage - there is a high pitched whining/ringing noise. This noise can only be heard with the windows down (how I drive 70% of the year) and seems to be louder when the transmission is up to temp. The noise goes away the moment the car starts to move though.

I have tried to record the sound... but the frequency is too high to be picked up. Changing between PRND will change the pitch of the noise.

I have tried to get my local dealer to listen to it the last time I was in - but they didn't have time.
Is this an issue? What could be making that noise? Its been this way since the repair...
I have the same issue after the same work was done

njweatherman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Premium California Special
I have the same issue after the same work was done
Hmmm. My car at idle has the transmission whine, which gets louder as the transmission warms-up. I had it since day 1. Are you guys talking about that whine or another whine?

sirben711

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
Hmmm. My car at idle has the transmission whine, which gets louder as the transmission warms-up. I had it since day 1. Are you guys talking about that whine or another whine?
Does it go away when you start moving? If so, its very likely the same.

The best I can describe it as is a whining noise...but closer to a ringing noise. Like high pressure fluid moving in a pipe. Or the ring from a water pressure regulator. Those are the closest real world equivalents I can come up with.

njweatherman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
Does it go away when you start moving? If so, its very likely the same.

The best I can describe it as is a whining noise...but closer to a ringing noise. Like high pressure fluid moving in a pipe. Or the ring from a water pressure regulator. Those are the closest real world equivalents I can come up with.
When I accelerate from a stop, I don't hear it anymore. However, if my windows are down and the radio is off, and I begin to slow down and come to a complete stop, I can hear the whining noise again. It's the common transmission whine all the automatics complain about. I'm just not sure that is the same thing you two guys are experiencing.

gadgtfreek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium Shadow Black 10spd Auto
From what I read here I thought the ole "whine" was normal.

Sponsored

sirben711

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
When I accelerate from a stop, I don't hear it anymore. However, if my windows are down and the radio is off, and I begin to slow down and come to a complete stop, I can hear the whining noise again. It's the common transmission whine all the automatics complain about. I'm just not sure that is the same thing you two guys are experiencing.

99% sure its the same thing. But I just don't hear other cars (in particular other modern Fords) doing it.

Do we know WHAT is making that noise? The noise was not present until my valve body was worked on.

gadgtfreek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium Shadow Black 10spd Auto
I have been told the "Whine" is the pump in the transmission. My Mustang does it as did my 2018 F150 with the same trans. Pretty much normal I have been told.
Heard an F150 the other morning (neighbor) and it whined down the street. Also a new Chevy 1500, so I said "wonder if thats the 10spd?" lol.

njweatherman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
Some on here say the whine quiets down with more mileage. Mine has stayed the same and I am just over 17,000 miles.

wynand32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT California Special
A general question about the OP (which is awesome, by the way, thanks!). Is the list of known issues problems to be resolved or just things to live with?
Sponsored