Sponsored

10R80 Owners - ULTIMATE M6G 10R80 Facts + Resolutions to harsh or no shift conditions

njweatherman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Premium California Special
I'm not having great luck with these transmissions. I dumped my last, purchased-new 2018 because of unresolved bad trans behavior. Fast forward to May 2022, I picked up this Crimson 2018 with 30K on the clock. Later in May, the transmission overheated on a highway trip, that seems to have been resolved by a fluid dump and fill, to the correct level this time. I do wonder how many times it overheated on the previous owner and they didn't even know it.

A few days ago, I fired it up to leave work, and waited for it it come off high idle before engaging D to drive out of the garage. Instead of the slow, smooth engagement it normally gives, it engaged fully, immediately, with a slight jolt. It's now doing that EVERY time. Gone is the slow, Lincoln Town Car-ish engagement, and it now lifts the nose when it engages Drive if you're not on the brake. I can't imagine what has changed from one day to the next, but obviously something is wrong.

I experimented with it at stoplights on the way home, fully warmed up and at normal idle speed. Brake applied, move shifter from N to D, BAM, and the car squats like an old 240Z. WTF is up with this transmission?

On a whim, I disconnected the battery when I got home and let it sit for an hour. It made absolutely no difference. Off to the dealership... again.
I get the jolt / buck going from park to reverse, but only when the car is cold. Once it is fully warmed up, it is smooth.
Sponsored

Deleted member 35644

I get the jolt / buck going from park to reverse, but only when the car is cold. Once it is fully warmed up, it is smooth.
That's actually how mine started out weeks ago, an odd "double thud" when engaging reverse to back out of my garage in the morning. I didn't really give it much attention, because these transmissions have never been as smooth operator...for me anyway. Now it's escalated to Drive, and gotten worse..

gadgtfreek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium Shadow Black 10spd Auto
10R80 decided it wanted to bang/thud every 4-5 shift today in S+ (normal acceleration). Fine in Normal lol. First I've seen it act like that in 2k miles...

njweatherman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
10R80 decided it wanted to bang/thud every 4-5 shift today in S+ (normal acceleration). Fine in Normal lol. First I've seen it act like that in 2k miles...
Jason,

In Sport Mode+, my 5th gear is harsh until I have driven the car for about 10 to 15 minutes or so. Then, it gets smooth. My workaround is I drive the car in normal mode for about 10 to 15 minutes, and then I switch over to Sport Mode+. Try that.

gadgtfreek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
I guess that comes in the warmup deal.

Sponsored

gadgtfreek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
Try it. It worked for me and others on here. As the transmission fluid warms, you will see the harsh shifting smooth out.
Thanks. I've been using Sport + from the jump in the mornings, this morning was just different which kinda threw me... I did contact the guy I use at a local dealer for all my purchases. Going to try and get in for a fluid level check and TSB is applicable. He is trying to get me a date now.

Also noticed it takes this transmission forever to warm up.

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
My car is going in this Tuesday for an oil change and I've asked they check the trans shifting in the Drive Modes. I will say my car is smooth as butter in plain old D but in Sport and up it can be jerky on 3-4 and 4-5. I am going to bring the latest TSB with me. Does anyone know what the latest TSB is I have 21-2357 is that the most recent one?

njweatherman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
My car is going in this Tuesday for an oil change and I've asked they check the trans shifting in the Drive Modes. I will say my car is smooth as butter in plain old D but in Sport and up it can be jerky on 3-4 and 4-5. I am going to bring the latest TSB with me. Does anyone know what the latest TSB is I have 21-2357 is that the most recent one?
Cam,

TSB 22-2139, SUPERSEDES 21-2357, just released in April 2022 pertains to harsh shifts due to adaptive learning incompatibilities. PDF is attached.

Summary
Some 2017-2020 F-150, 2018-2022 Expedition/Navigator/Mustang and 2019-2022 Ranger vehicles equipped with a 10R80 automatic transmission may exhibit a harsh engagement/harsh shift/delayed shift. It is possible the vehicle may also have an illuminated malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) or diagnostic trouble codes (DTC) P0751, P0752, P0756, P0757, P0761, P0762, P0766, P0767, P0771, P0772, P2700, P2701, P2702, P2703, P2704, P2705, P2707, P2708, P0729, P0731, P0732, P0733, P0734, P0735, P0736, P076F, P07D9, P07F6 and/or P07F7 stored in the powertrain control module (PCM) or transmission control module (TCM). This may be due to incompatibility of the adaptive calibration to adapt to hardware break-in over time. To correct the condition, follow the Service Procedure steps to overhaul the main control valve body and/or perform an adaptive learning drive cycle.

See this page:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/2018-10r80-a10-most-recent-tsb’s-in-here.102918/page-5

njweatherman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
Thanks. I've been using Sport + from the jump in the mornings, this morning was just different which kinda threw me... I did contact the guy I use at a local dealer for all my purchases. Going to try and get in for a fluid level check and TSB is applicable. He is trying to get me a date now.

Also noticed it takes this transmission forever to warm up.
Yes, I agree, the trans takes a long time to warm-up, especially when it is cold. When I used to take off in Sport Mode+ on the first start of the day, it would stay too long in gear 1 before shifting. Plus, going into gear 5 was rough and bucked the car.

Sponsored

gadgtfreek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
Yes, I agree, the trans takes a long time to warm-up, especially when it is cold. When I used to take off in Sport Mode+ on the first start of the day, it would stay too long in gear 1 before shifting. Plus, going into gear 5 was rough and bucked the car.
Same here. Ive swapped into S+ while taking off from a light and it just held 3rd gear foreveeeeeeerrrrrrrr. LOL

Ive kinda started just leaving it in Normal until I need some ooomph, and then just pull the shifter into S until done, and then back to D.

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
Cam,

TSB 22-2139, SUPERSEDES 21-2357, just released in April 2022 pertains to harsh shifts due to adaptive learning incompatibilities. PDF is attached.

Summary
Some 2017-2020 F-150, 2018-2022 Expedition/Navigator/Mustang and 2019-2022 Ranger vehicles equipped with a 10R80 automatic transmission may exhibit a harsh engagement/harsh shift/delayed shift. It is possible the vehicle may also have an illuminated malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) or diagnostic trouble codes (DTC) P0751, P0752, P0756, P0757, P0761, P0762, P0766, P0767, P0771, P0772, P2700, P2701, P2702, P2703, P2704, P2705, P2707, P2708, P0729, P0731, P0732, P0733, P0734, P0735, P0736, P076F, P07D9, P07F6 and/or P07F7 stored in the powertrain control module (PCM) or transmission control module (TCM). This may be due to incompatibility of the adaptive calibration to adapt to hardware break-in over time. To correct the condition, follow the Service Procedure steps to overhaul the main control valve body and/or perform an adaptive learning drive cycle.

See this page:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/2018-10r80-a10-most-recent-tsb’s-in-here.102918/page-5
Thank you Tommy! I understand there is some new software updates in this TSB if they flashed the trans? I'm sure I don't have a valve body issue like some have had as I don't have any other symptoms other than a couple of jerky upshifts.

I honestly don't think Ford could tune a rectum let alone a transmission! :)

gadgtfreek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
Tried out drag mode and the shifting is very good, almost seems like Normal. Sport+ just bangs gears.

njweatherman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
Thank you Tommy! I understand there is some new software updates in this TSB if they flashed the trans? I'm sure I don't have a valve body issue like some have had as I don't have any other symptoms other than a couple of jerky upshifts.

I honestly don't think Ford could tune a rectum let alone a transmission! :)
Cam,

Based on my experience, if you don't have any codes (showing or stored), then they may just do the software upload and relearn.

Hwangmihee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lambert
Vehicle(s)
2018 Lightning Blue Mustang
Hello yall,

After parking my Mustang for the winter between Nov. 2021 and March 2022, I've been having annoyingly to now dangerous issues with the car. To preface, I have a 2018 Mustang GT Premium with digital cluster, 55,000KM, A10 Speed Transmission, Magneride, and Active Suspension.

At first, I was driving up a windy road around 80kmph and that is the first time back in May, my transmission slipped while in sport mode (S) going up hill from whichever gear it was on to 1 then immediately back to gear. My car felt like it lost and gained power suddenly. After I pulled my car over and put it in park, the engine suddenly shut off then a few seconds later, turned itself back on. This would happen again going home into my condo and attempting to park my vehicle.

I caught it on video after putting my car from P to D back to P slowly.

While driving home on the same day as the incident above, my car suddenly slipped again this time driving around 60-70kmph without any throttle during the same day.

Today (July 31st), while driving again around the same speed again, It slipped again but with much much more frequency. Within a minute, I slipped about 4 times before my car went into limp mode with the wrench symbol showing "SEE MANUAL". I immediately pulled over and tried moving my vehicle but the shift from gear 1 to 2, It was so rough I genuinely thought my transmission was gone. I turned off my car thinking my car was a goner but after about a minute off, I turned it back on and the transmission felt fine again. It happened one more time driving home but due to the long weekend, I cannot bring this car back to Ford until Tuesday.

Luckily my girlfriend was there to film 2 out of 4 transmission slips. After the last one in the video, my car felt undriveable after that.

IMG_9024.JPG
IMG_9025.JPG

I've taken my car after the May incident but they found nothing (no codes) and just simply reset my TCM as I complained my transmission felt rough after that day. I will be taking my car back to Ford as I still have 1 more year of drivetrain warranty.

Has anyone gotten anything like this before?

My car (Only springs, wheels and cosmetic mods, stock everything else):

1659314077663.png
Sponsored