Sponsored

10R80 Owners - ULTIMATE M6G 10R80 Facts + Resolutions to harsh or no shift conditions

gadgtfreek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium Shadow Black 10spd Auto
Just normal when its lugging (too high a gear and low speed), and you say bump it to jump around a slow car in traffic, it lugs and then launches lol. My ecoboost edge with the 6spd did the same in normal (ST). Slight delays, and then booster fire lol. Sport Mode was so much better but drank fuel.
Sponsored

gadgtfreek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
Tried out just S today using the gear selector, actually like it better than the toggle. I can get in and out of it swiftly when needed, and then go back to D. Didn't notice any driving difference shifting-wise between S and S+, which you shouldn't AFAIK

gadgtfreek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
Im installing the Ford Perf TB, CAI and tune tomorrow. Will be curious to see how the tranny acts after the tune and having the battery disconnected for awhile.

njweatherman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Premium California Special
Update:
I have a 2020 Mustang GT Premium, California Special with BORLA ATAK. I had TSB 21-2357 done back on January 31, 2022. Since I did not have any codes, they only updated the software and did a relearn on the trans.
Lately, the transmission has been acting up again.
A few days ago, on the first start of the day, I put it into reverse and the car lurched/jumped backwards. I thought it was a fluke. I put it back into park and then tried it again, and it did the same thing.
Today, I was out driving in Sport Mode+ and from a dead stop, I stepped on it, but not too hard. It got hung up in 4th gear and when it went to 5th, I got whiplash from the harsh shift. I tried it again and it did the same thing, but not as harsh.
What's weird about this transmission is some days it drives totally fine and other days it acts up.
I'm going to call the dealership tomorrow to see what they recommend. I don't want to bring it in and have them say, could not duplicate or since there are no codes, they can't do anything.

Sponsored

Cordero1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang
Just a question if it has not been asked. Went through the facts but didn't see anything about it & going through all 43 pages is quiet a bit of time on the phone.

What is an average time for the Trans temp to come up to full temp? I go for drives to sometimes take the back empty roads to let her rip & it takes average over :30 mins to come up to temp. Is that normal?

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
Just a question if it has not been asked. Went through the facts but didn't see anything about it & going through all 43 pages is quiet a bit of time on the phone.

What is an average time for the Trans temp to come up to full temp? I go for drives to sometimes take the back empty roads to let her rip & it takes average over :30 mins to come up to temp. Is that normal?
I would say it is normal as I find this trans takes a good while to fully heat up in anything other than bumper to bumper traffic.

njweatherman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
I just figured the car was warmed up when the engine coolant temperature gauge was halfway and/or in the middle.

Chomperr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT ; 2016 Mustang V6 (Sold)
This is a large thread and a lot to sift through, can anyone tell me if a tune can help with the rough downshifting?

When coming to a slow stop it gets jerky and lurches as it shifts down each gear.

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
This is a large thread and a lot to sift through, can anyone tell me if a tune can help with the rough downshifting?

When coming to a slow stop it gets jerky and lurches as it shifts down each gear.
I’ve posted so many times and I can’t get anyone to give a detailed description of how a tune changes the A10 behavior.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Cobra Jet

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Update:
I have a 2020 Mustang GT Premium, California Special with BORLA ATAK. I had TSB 21-2357 done back on January 31, 2022. Since I did not have any codes, they only updated the software and did a relearn on the trans.
Lately, the transmission has been acting up again.
A few days ago, on the first start of the day, I put it into reverse and the car lurched/jumped backwards. I thought it was a fluke. I put it back into park and then tried it again, and it did the same thing.
Today, I was out driving in Sport Mode+ and from a dead stop, I stepped on it, but not too hard. It got hung up in 4th gear and when it went to 5th, I got whiplash from the harsh shift. I tried it again and it did the same thing, but not as harsh.
What's weird about this transmission is some days it drives totally fine and other days it acts up.
I'm going to call the dealership tomorrow to see what they recommend. I don't want to bring it in and have them say, could not duplicate or since there are no codes, they can't do anything.
If you do take it to the Dealer, I would request that the Shop Foreman, a Tech or even the Service Writer come with you on a short drive where you can get it at a sustained speed or an area other than their normal “round the block” routine. With you driving the car off their lot, demo the exact problem to them … then let them drive it back to the Dealer lot so they too can replicate the issue.

They should experience the same as you did and agree there is an obvious issue. Once they do, tell them you want it marked on your work order that they went for a test drive with you and were able to replicate the issue.

sirben711

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Ecoboost 10R80 w/ FP Tune

Welcome to my world.

I’ve posted so many times and I can’t get anyone to give a detailed description of how a tune changes the A10 behavior.
Funny seeing you here again hahaha - still in the same boat :(

If you do take it to the Dealer, I would request that the Shop Foreman, a Tech or even the Service Writer come with you on a short drive where you can get it at a sustained speed or an area other than their normal “round the block” routine. With you driving the car off their lot, demo the exact problem to them … then let them drive it back to the Dealer lot so they too can replicate the issue.

They should experience the same as you did and agree there is an obvious issue. Once they do, tell them you want it marked on your work order that they went for a test drive with you and were able to replicate the issue.
The problem is, at least here in St. Louis, the foreman or shop managers at all the local dealers (I have tried three) either are too busy or completely unwilling to ride with customers. If you are lucky, you will get a tech to ride with you. This happened to me, and the tech had the audacity to tell me his 2019 mustang has odd shifting behavior and that its completely normal. Point being, Ford dealerships are mostly unwilling to help.

I truly believe the 10R80 transmissions are fundamentally flawed.

Last edited:

njweatherman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
Welcome to my world.

Funny seeing you here again hahaha - still in the same boat :(

The problem is, at least here in St. Louis, the foreman or shop managers at all the local dealers (I have tried three) either are too busy or completely unwilling to ride with customers. If you are lucky, you will get a tech to ride with you. This happened to me, and the tech had the audacity to tell me his 2019 mustang has odd shifting behavior and that its completely normal. Point being, Ford dealerships are mostly unwilling to help.

I truly believe the 10R80 transmissions are fundamentally flawed.
It's a shame that most dealerships are like this today. If there are no pending or visible codes, they assume everything is working according to spec. I might wait until the engine or transmission light comes on before I bring it in.

Cordero1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang
I would say it is normal as I find this trans takes a good while to fully heat up in anything other than bumper to bumper traffic.
Thank you!

Deleted member 35644

I'm not having great luck with these transmissions. I dumped my last, purchased-new 2018 because of unresolved bad trans behavior. Fast forward to May 2022, I picked up this Crimson 2018 with 30K on the clock. Later in May, the transmission overheated on a highway trip, that seems to have been resolved by a fluid dump and fill, to the correct level this time. I do wonder how many times it overheated on the previous owner and they didn't even know it.

A few days ago, I fired it up to leave work, and waited for it it come off high idle before engaging D to drive out of the garage. Instead of the slow, smooth engagement it normally gives, it engaged fully, immediately, with a slight jolt. It's now doing that EVERY time. Gone is the slow, Lincoln Town Car-ish engagement, and it now lifts the nose when it engages Drive if you're not on the brake. I can't imagine what has changed from one day to the next, but obviously something is wrong.

I experimented with it at stoplights on the way home, fully warmed up and at normal idle speed. Brake applied, move shifter from N to D, BAM, and the car squats like an old 240Z. WTF is up with this transmission?

On a whim, I disconnected the battery when I got home and let it sit for an hour. It made absolutely no difference. Off to the dealership... again.
Sponsored