Sponsored

10R80 Owners - ULTIMATE M6G 10R80 Facts + Resolutions to harsh or no shift conditions

1 old racer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2018 Royal Crimson GT PP1 prem., and others
Vehicle Showcase
I have had all the updates and now everything works perfect. But right after the issues were delt with I did notice almost the same issues as you have. Took it back and they stated it was low on fluid. I do have a set of aftermarket coolers on mine that are plumb in series with the oem unit and they did ask if I installed them before or after I had it serviced and I told them it was before, (because it was), and they had no issue with it other then to tell me that that was a wise improvement because in SoCal summer traffic heat is a real issue with these. They didn't ask anymore questions and I didn't offer any other comments. All this to say that it may be low on fluid and if it is it was probably due to the fact that they didn't check it with the trans at operating temp.
Welcome back! I really did not notice much with my software update from TSB-21-2357. When I had the update done, I was at around 9500 miles. I'm now at 12300. When the car is cold and I put it in Sport Mode+, I have a noticeable delay going from reverse to drive (1 - 2 seconds). Once the car is warmed up, it is better. Also, in Sport Mode+ when the car is cold, the 4th to 5th gear shift can be harsh. Lastly, it likes to hang on to gear #1 when driving around slow. When I go to slow down, it shifts into 2nd for some reason. All these problems go away when the engine is warm.
To this day, the best way I have found to drive the car is start off in normal mode until the engine is warm. Then, switch over to whatever mode you want. The reason why I don't always drive in normal mode is it stays in too high of a gear and it feels like the car is bogging. For instance, if I am driving around at 35 mph, it could be in 7th or 8th gear already.
Sponsored

theflyingz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I just noticed a harsh clunk when parking tonight. When going from drive to park there was loud clunk and it sounded like it was on the passenger side of the transmission. Is there anything external that would have a loud clunk? This was not the normal firm shift feel that the trans can have. I do not think its U-joints and the car only has 20k miles. The car has a large custom trans cooler and I am concerned the dealer might deny any warranty claims with an aftermarket cooler added.
Has anyone had a similar sound or issue? Thanks

Last edited:

Nodster

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Hi all, I've been meaning to ask, since having my trans issues all smoothed out many months ago, I've been nervous about using S on the gearbox. I drive in D and its lovely and smooth. If I were to use S which is harsher in shifts, will the trans become harsh all the time, even if I go back to D?

Thanks.

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
I only use S in Sport + mode and mainly for paddles
S in normal mode is retarded imo, it’s too irrational.
From all my research, Lund tune seems to be the answer with this trans. I will be doing that soon.

sirben711

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Ecoboost 10R80 w/ FP Tune
At what point does the torque converter lock up and at what point does it unlock?

I have read, but have not verified, that the TC locks in 3rd gear. I am wondering if my harsh downshifts are related to the TC unlocking and the transmission skipping gears on the downshift (3-1).

Is there a way to disable either of those behaviors?

Side note: Today my transmission was downshifting not too bad. Seems to be somewhat related to outside and transmission temps... but its not consistent. Going into another dealer next Monday... I just want to be prepared.

Sponsored

Buldawg76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Ecoboost, Rapid Red Premium
I am not 100% sure on the newer cars if this is still relevant on today's fully electronic trannies but in 2010 and older cars you could test the lock up converter's engagement speed by very lightly riding the brake pedal since the converter will not lock up if the computer sees any brake input present.

So, at say 55 mph in high gear you should be able to just rest your foot on the brake pedal and feel the converter unlock and lock back up by foot on/off brake pedal just enough to activate switch but not actually slow vehicle.

If that is still the case, then when slowing down with foot on the brake in any gear the converter should be unlocked.
Again, I cannot say it is still the case on vehicles newer than 2010 or so but I am pretty sure if you are slowing down with foot on the brake pedal enough to slow vehicle the converter is unlocked.

BD

Last edited:

rorrerjp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
justin
Vehicle(s)
2021 mach 1
This thread is huge, so maybe I missed it... But anyone experience a "clunk" when downshifting while gently slowing down? See video. Volume up, headphones are best. You'll hear the clunk when it shifts to 5th gear. Has done it in other gears too, as well as going into reverse from drive.

Obviously I'll be taking it to the dealer for warranty, but curious if anyone has experienced the same and what the resolution was. I will post results of my dealer interaction.

2021 Mach 1 HP

Yes! That is exactly what mine is doing. Mine also happens when going F to R to F. Any change in motion from a stop. Im starting a new thread to keep this clunk all in one thread.

Mysterious clunk. | 2015+ S550 Mustang Forum (GT, EcoBoost, GT350, GT500, Bullitt, Mach 1) - Mustang6G.com

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
I have had all the updates and now everything works perfect. But right after the issues were delt with I did notice almost the same issues as you have. Took it back and they stated it was low on fluid. I do have a set of aftermarket coolers on mine that are plumb in series with the oem unit and they did ask if I installed them before or after I had it serviced and I told them it was before, (because it was), and they had no issue with it other then to tell me that that was a wise improvement because in SoCal summer traffic heat is a real issue with these. They didn't ask anymore questions and I didn't offer any other comments. All this to say that it may be low on fluid and if it is it was probably due to the fact that they didn't check it with the trans at operating temp.
Hi when you say you had all of the updates do mean just the software or did you get a valve body replacement as well? I'm soon due to take my car in to the dealer and want to have the software updated to see if I can improve a couple of the jerky upshifts but everything else is good with it.

1 old racer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
They did the software update first and on the test drive it confirmed that the valve body and a couple other things wr not working as they should. So they had to replace them. The car was in the shop for about a month th due to a part shortage.

sirben711

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Ecoboost 10R80 w/ FP Tune
Let us know when you get it back and how it feels.

They did the software update first and on the test drive it confirmed that the valve body and a couple other things wr not working as they should. So they had to replace them. The car was in the shop for about a month th due to a part shortage.

Sponsored

1 old racer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I have had it back since late Dec I have put about 2k on her and she shifts perfect. Normal is very smooth and sport is crisp thru all the gears. When I shift it from Rev then into drive it doesn't jump . I am very happy with the results

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
Is there a test they do for the valve body or is it just a test drive and judgement sort of thing?

1 old racer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I really don't know. Mine shifted harsh going from park to drive and very very harsh going from Rev. To drive before I took it in. That was my complaint. So I assume that after the software updates it still had that condition. This caused them to dig deeper.

gimmie11s

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Murica!
Still waiting on my next appointment in May at a different dealer.

Minor update: Last time I had the car in for the hard downshifts specifically for the downshifts in the lower gears (in normal drive mode) the tech said everything was normal and within spec. Ever since then I have been driving in SPORT mode (not sport +) almost exclusively - mostly for testing purposes. Honestly, in SPORT, the downshifts are slightly smoother. I suspect it has to do with the transmission no longer skipping gears on the downshift. So instead of the 3-1, its now forced into always 2-1. There is still a hard downshift...but it is not as bad..

However, sometimes in 1st, coming to a stop or just coasting along or driving with very little throttle - I can sometimes feel a pulsing, it kind of feels like a clutch pedal is being pushed in and out very quickly. It has sort of a grab and release feeling to it. Its very hard to describe. Its definitely not a gear change and does not do this in Regular drive mode.

The downshifts in Sport Mode are less harsh when coming to a stop. Its still weird though. I still think something is wrong. It was not doing this when I first bought the car new and I have driven in more smooth 10R80s than this one. ugh. The downshifting in this thing is my only complaint...but its a big one.

Characteristic of the trans. It does not sound like there is anything "wrong" with your car.

I would not label the 10r80 a "smooth" downshifting trans.

Personally, Ive learned to drive around it.

19gtaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang GT, PP1 and 2021 Mach 1
My car does not have hard downshifts when in normal drive mode. The downshifts are very smooth.
Sponsored