Sponsored

10R80 Owners - ULTIMATE M6G 10R80 Facts + Resolutions to harsh or no shift conditions

sirben711

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Ecoboost 10R80 w/ FP Tune
Unfortunately, some Service Centers are better than others, as well as the knowledge/experience behind the Tech too.

There's a ton of excellent Techs and Service Centers across the country, but all it takes is one bad experience to sour not only the warranty repair experience, but also vehicle ownership experience.

Owners just have to be persistent with any repair - if they're not satisfied, DON'T shrug it off, walk away and just accept a shoddy repair or a repair that didn't fix your initial complaint.

ELEVATE it, you're the Customer, they're to make you whole. If you're having difficulties at the Service Center, elevate it to the Dealer Manager or Franchise Owner. Elevate it via the Ford 800#, that's what that # is to be used for - Customer relations and getting resolution if you can't get it at the Dealer level.

If you get a survey from your Dealer after any repair and the repair did not satisfy the complaint, leave them negative feedback. That negative feedback gets rolled up to Mgmnt and Corporate. The don't want negative reviews, it will get attention and you will be contacted by someone to try to make you whole. Been there, done that - it does work.
Thank you, and everyone else for your advise. I have NEVER had any problems with a Ford product till now, which is why I am frustrated.

I will keep on it.
Sponsored

Buldawg76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Ecoboost, Rapid Red Premium
Again, do keep on the dealer to fix the issue and if needed escalate it to the service manager, dealer GM , dealer principal and finally Ford customer service 800 number in owners manual.

Also negative feedback gets Fords attention and involved in the entire process to resolve to your satisfaction.

BD

gmupatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT (Orange Fury), 401A, A10, 3.55
That does make me feel a little better. But when it feels like I am getting rear ended during a downshift...something has to be wrong.
OP, I experienced similar issues with my 2018 GT. I went to a local Ford dealer and explained to them the harsh thunk I would feel when shifting from P to D and when upshifting from 2-3 and 3-5 and when coming to a stop I would feel as if someone hit me from behind. The issue would happen when downshifting from 5-4 or 5-3 and 3-1. In my case, the tech replaced the Output Shaft Speed Sensor part # HL3Z7H103D (cost is around $10-$15 USD), and also replaced about 6 quarts of transmission fluid. No software update was done, however, the car smoothed out right away. I would start with the small parts first and see if this resolves your issue. Since you had the valve body replaced already, I would see if replacing the sensor will helps.

Good luck!

sirben711

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
Still waiting on my next appointment in May at a different dealer.

Minor update: Last time I had the car in for the hard downshifts specifically for the downshifts in the lower gears (in normal drive mode) the tech said everything was normal and within spec. Ever since then I have been driving in SPORT mode (not sport +) almost exclusively - mostly for testing purposes. Honestly, in SPORT, the downshifts are slightly smoother. I suspect it has to do with the transmission no longer skipping gears on the downshift. So instead of the 3-1, its now forced into always 2-1. There is still a hard downshift...but it is not as bad..

However, sometimes in 1st, coming to a stop or just coasting along or driving with very little throttle - I can sometimes feel a pulsing, it kind of feels like a clutch pedal is being pushed in and out very quickly. It has sort of a grab and release feeling to it. Its very hard to describe. Its definitely not a gear change and does not do this in Regular drive mode.

The downshifts in Sport Mode are less harsh when coming to a stop. Its still weird though. I still think something is wrong. It was not doing this when I first bought the car new and I have driven in more smooth 10R80s than this one. ugh. The downshifting in this thing is my only complaint...but its a big one.

deepimpact

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2016, V6
Ford jusr changed my transmission 2 weeks ago, guess what.. the transmission had other issues.. Now a second transmission will be build in.. Lets hope it will fit, work, and improve gear change behavior..

Is there anyone who had a complete transmission change, and had a better shifting? I'm afraid that probably all 10r80 does have this behavior?

Sponsored

xSouthSyde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Magnetic GT
Can somebody explain the S mode on the shifter compared to D. When I put it in race mode or Sport + with the toggle do I also have to put the shifter to S? I havenā€™t really noticed any difference in shifting characteristics between the two besides when you drop a gear while in S it stays in that gear where as if you are in D and you manually overide a gear it goes back to automatic shifts a few seconds after.
Are the shifts more aggressive in ā€œSā€ on the shifter compared to ā€œDā€ regardless of Drive mode?

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
Can somebody explain the S mode on the shifter compared to D. When I put it in race mode or Sport + with the toggle do I also have to put the shifter to S? I havenā€™t really noticed any difference in shifting characteristics between the two besides when you drop a gear while in S it stays in that gear where as if you are in D and you manually overide a gear it goes back to automatic shifts a few seconds after.
Are the shifts more aggressive in ā€œSā€ on the shifter compared to ā€œDā€ regardless of Drive mode?
Please use Search for the answer. :)

Buldawg76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Ecoboost, Rapid Red Premium
In S mode once you manually shift the trans using the paddle shifters it will stay in that gear until you manually shift up or down, it does not return to auto shift with shifter in S after you paddle shift once. As far as being more aggressive shifts in S+ or either track/drag modes I cannot say for sure. In S+ it will return to auto shift after use of paddles just like D, but track and drag are manual shift with paddles only I believe.

Hope this helps.

BD

sirben711

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)

S on the shifter hits ever gear up and down. It tends to hold gears for a little longer and into higher speeds and RPMS.

If you ever hit the paddle shifter in S mode it will lock you into manual mode until you switch to drive mode....

D on the other hand can -but doesn't always- skip gears, but it usually does. It also upshifts (short shifting) sooner to "save" fuel.

Sport+ seems to be a more aggressive version of the two modes combined. I am not the best person to ask. I don't use it that often because it makes my downshifting problems that I have in D or S mode even worse (which is hard to believe!). There are a lot more "clunks" and "pops" when I'm in this mode. It accelerates pretty good though. I do know that in Sport+ it likes to downshift more easily to help you accelerate. Which would be amazing if it wasn't clunking and popping haha :(

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
Again, search will take you to threads where this is all discussed in great detail. Short of that I can say...

The shifter is what puts the trans in normal or sport mode. Sport mode has more aggressive (higher rpm) upshifts, sequential through every gear, harder shifts, rev matched downshifts, etc.

Sport+ is a mode accessed through the toggle. It changes traction control, active exhaust, and magnetic shock settings.

Sometimes around town I start the shifter in S until I reach cruising speed and then pop it into D for gas mileage.

If I remember today I will try the combo of Sport+ mode will the shifter in D. I bet it will still shift like it does in Normal (lower revs, skipping gears). That will prove my theory that the shifter and toggle are independent.

Sponsored

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
If I remember today I will try the combo of Sport+ mode will the shifter in D. I bet it will still shift like it does in Normal (lower revs, skipping gears). That will prove my theory that the shifter and toggle are independent.
Okay, it turns out that the Mode toggle supersedes the shifter position. So putting the toggle into Sport+ and the shifter in D will make shifting behave as though the shifter was in S. Fully automatic but sporty behavior.

Any paddles use will be temporary as usual while in D.

steve0s550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
STEVE
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP 2.3 Mustang
Here's a good vid, hope this helps!

saiyangt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Hey guys! Back after a long Canadian winter. Anyone here have good luck with TSB 21-2357? Iā€™m going to take my car in to the dealer first thing this spring and have them perform it.

Is the consensus that the software update is all-new compared to pre-December 2021?

njweatherman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Premium California Special
Hey guys! Back after a long Canadian winter. Anyone here have good luck with TSB 21-2357? Iā€™m going to take my car in to the dealer first thing this spring and have them perform it.

Is the consensus that the software update is all-new compared to pre-December 2021?
Welcome back! I really did not notice much with my software update from TSB-21-2357. When I had the update done, I was at around 9500 miles. I'm now at 12300. When the car is cold and I put it in Sport Mode+, I have a noticeable delay going from reverse to drive (1 - 2 seconds). Once the car is warmed up, it is better. Also, in Sport Mode+ when the car is cold, the 4th to 5th gear shift can be harsh. Lastly, it likes to hang on to gear #1 when driving around slow. When I go to slow down, it shifts into 2nd for some reason. All these problems go away when the engine is warm.
To this day, the best way I have found to drive the car is start off in normal mode until the engine is warm. Then, switch over to whatever mode you want. The reason why I don't always drive in normal mode is it stays in too high of a gear and it feels like the car is bogging. For instance, if I am driving around at 35 mph, it could be in 7th or 8th gear already.
Sponsored