Sponsored

10R80 Owners - ULTIMATE M6G 10R80 Facts + Resolutions to harsh or no shift conditions

OP
OP
Cobra Jet

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra

njweatherman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Premium California Special
Hey everyone! I just had my 10k service done on my 2020 Mustang GT California Special.
One of the things I had them check was the transmission fluid to make sure it was filled correctly from the factory. They said it was fine and there were no stored DTC codes. However, they updated the software. See below for what the dealer sheet said:

As per TSB 21-2357, updated PCM, TCM and cleared adaptive trans tables, road tested and relearned adaptive trans.

I have not had a chance to really test it yet, but it seems like an update was done. Gears shift smoother in Sport Mode+. So, if you are having an issue with your transmission, bring it in and have them perform TSB 21-2357. From what I have read online, if there are no stored transmission codes, then they just do the software update.

Hope this helps.

Takeshi

Threads
Reaction score
United States : Cali land of the $1 Gas Tax
First Name
Alias: Takeshi
Vehicle(s)
2019 Liquid Shadow 401A PP1 MagneRide Borla ATAK
Hi All,

I just had TSB 21-2357 performed. They changed the valve body because the car was downshifting very harshly especially in sport plus mode (it would throw you forward when it downshifted). They changed that and did the transmission reprograming. Sport plus mode downshifts are now noticeable but nowhere near throwing the entire car forward or upsetting it mid corner. The new problem is now I am blowing white smoke out of my exhaust at 2k RPM 70-75 MPH it also does 10 --> 9 ---> 10 by itself right before the smoke starts going out (Vacuum gauge shows 10-5 when this happens) . Does anyone have any clue or could provide insight what might of happen or what broke during the transmission TSB repair?

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
Hey everyone! I just had my 10k service done on my 2020 Mustang GT California Special.
One of the things I had them check was the transmission fluid to make sure it was filled correctly from the factory. They said it was fine and there were no stored DTC codes. However, they updated the software. See below for what the dealer sheet said:

As per TSB 21-2357, updated PCM, TCM and cleared adaptive trans tables, road tested and relearned adaptive trans.

I have not had a chance to really test it yet, but it seems like an update was done. Gears shift smoother in Sport Mode+. So, if you are having an issue with your transmission, bring it in and have them perform TSB 21-2357. From what I have read online, if there are no stored transmission codes, then they just do the software update.

Hope this helps.
Is it all new programming or did they just reflash with the same version of the software? Mine can be a bit rough in Sport or Sport+ on 3-4 and 4-5 shifts. Smooth as can be in regular D mode though.

Last edited:

Sponsored

njweatherman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
Is it all new programming or did they just reflash with the same version of the software? Mine can be a bit rough in Sport or Sport+ on 3-4 and 4-5 shifts. Smooth as can be in regular D mode though.
Hey!
Based on the TSB and what I have read from the F-150 forum, it is all new software. For those that had transmission DTC codes, they not only get the software update but a new valve body and some other parts as well.
I only had the software update.
I have not had a chance to take it out yet on the first start-up of the day. Prior to my software update, I would always drive it in Normal mode until the car warmed up, then I would switch it over to Sport Mode+. Otherwise, I would experience rough shifts in 4th and 5th, and it would hang in 1st gear too long without shifting to 2nd. Hope this helps!

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
Hey!
Based on the TSB and what I have read from the F-150 forum, it is all new software. For those that had transmission DTC codes, they not only get the software update but a new valve body and some other pvsggarts as well.
I have not had a chance to take it out yet on the first start-up of the day. Prior to my software update, I would always drive it in Normal mode until the car warmed up, then I would switch it over to Sport Mode+. Otherwise, I would experience rough shifts in 4th and 5th, and it would hang in 1st gear too long without shifting to 2nd. Hope this helps!
Thank you! Yeah when I had it at the dealer a year or so ago they said there were no new software updates available so I will definitely bring the TSB to them in the Spring when I pull the car back out of storage. My 4 to 5th is rough too in Sport+.

Last edited:

njweatherman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
Thank you! Yeah when I had it at the dealer a year or so ago they said there were no new software updates available so I will definitely bring the TSB to them in the Spring when I pull the car back out of storage. My 4 to 5th is rough too in Sport+.
By Spring, FORD will have a new transmission out. LOL!

njweatherman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
Hey!
Based on the TSB and what I have read from the F-150 forum, it is all new software. For those that had transmission DTC codes, they not only get the software update but a new valve body and some other parts as well.

Hope this helps.
OK, today was my first drive with the new software when the car was cold and the temperature was in the mid-30s. I started off in Sport Mode+ and the transmission was still jumpy and jerky. Once the car warmed up, it drove great. So, looks like I will go back to my original routine and take off in Normal mode. Once the car is warmed up, then I will switch back to Sport Mode+.

I'm curious to see what others with the new software experienced when the car was cold.

Last edited:

Sponsored

MNstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Hi All,

I just had TSB 21-2357 performed. They changed the valve body because the car was downshifting very harshly especially in sport plus mode (it would throw you forward when it downshifted). They changed that and did the transmission reprograming. Sport plus mode downshifts are now noticeable but nowhere near throwing the entire car forward or upsetting it mid corner. The new problem is now I am blowing white smoke out of my exhaust at 2k RPM 70-75 MPH it also does 10 --> 9 ---> 10 by itself right before the smoke starts going out (Vacuum gauge shows 10-5 when this happens) . Does anyone have any clue or could provide insight what might of happen or what broke during the transmission TSB repair?
Glad to hear the valve body swap helped the harshness in sport mode. I am taking my car in this spring once the roads clear to hopefully get this done as my car is behaving exactly the same way. I have no idea what would cause the white exhaust smoke. Is it possible the two items are not related?

Takeshi

Threads
Reaction score
United States : Cali land of the $1 Gas Tax
First Name
Alias: Takeshi
Vehicle(s)
2019 Liquid Shadow 401A PP1 MagneRide Borla ATAK
Glad to hear the valve body swap helped the harshness in sport mode. I am taking my car in this spring once the roads clear to hopefully get this done as my car is behaving exactly the same way. I have no idea what would cause the white exhaust smoke. Is it possible the two items are not related?
I went back Monday, turns out they overfilled the transmission housing by 1.5 QT. The extra liquid was leaking into the Vent tube causing it to burn along with the exhaust. The removed the access liquid and cleaned up the area. Doing further testing on my end to see if anything else is popping; but so far now more new smoke.

Last edited:

njweatherman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
02/11/2022 - Trans update.
It's been about 2 weeks since I had the software update performed based on TSB 21-2357. No hardware was installed because I did not have any DTC transmission codes.
I really do not see much of a difference once the car is fully warmed up. One negative I have noticed is going from park to drive or reverse to drive, and the car sometimes lunges forward. Not violently, but noticeable and not smooth. When it does lunge forward, it is in Sport Mode+. The odd thing is it does not do it all the time. I can't figure out a pattern. I'm going to see if it does this in Normal drive mode.
I'm interested in what others are experiencing with the new software update.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
02/11/2022 - Trans update.
It's been about 2 weeks since I had the software update performed based on TSB 21-2357. No hardware was installed because I did not have any DTC transmission codes.
I really do not see much of a difference once the car is fully warmed up. One negative I have noticed is going from park to drive or reverse to drive, and the car sometimes lunges forward. Not violently, but noticeable and not smooth. When it does lunge forward, it is in Sport Mode+. The odd thing is it does not do it all the time. I can't figure out a pattern. I'm going to see if it does this in Normal drive mode.
I'm interested in what others are experiencing with the new software update.
Remember there is a lot of torque, especially on fast idle when cold, so the 'creep' function is very powerful. With your foot on the brake the car doesn't actually move.

sirben711

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Ecoboost 10R80 w/ FP Tune
Hello! I have been lurking on this forum for a while.
Bought a 2021 Ecoboost back in August, it currently has just over 6k miles and I absolutely HATE this transmission - I previously came form a 2017 Mustang with the 6R80 but that was totaled from a off duty cop. I am still angry about this.

Anyway, some of you have the same issues I do.

Main problem: I drive in normal mode 95% of the time and the downshifts on this thing are horrendous. You can feel a gentle push forward three or 4 times when slowing down - this upsets the balance of the car. Then a massive violent downshift right before I come to a complete stop. And when it does this violent downshift it feels like I have reduced braking capability?

Some other things I have noticed:
1. I do not know if this is normal (but suspect it is abnormal) when slowing down and you can feel these downshifts, it almost feels like the car is fighting against its self. Its hard to describe.
-is the transmission supposed to stay locked when it downshifts? Maybe its sticking?

2. While making slow right or left hand turns the transmission will feel like its hunting for the proper gear.

3. In the mornings there seems to be a dead zone around 20 mph. Where nothing will happen for a few seconds. Then its normal.

4. I had the car randomly downshift a few gears on the highway - rpms went up to 4k then settled back down a few seconds later. This has only happened once.

I will be taking it in to have it looked at in two weeks - apparently the transmission guy at my Ford dealer is 20 transmissions behind. Anyway, I have a very detailed description for them, going to ask them to check fluid levels and update/train everything.

I hate to be negative - because I love Mustangs and have exclusively owned only Mustangs - but this transmission really makes me hate driving. I hope they find and fix the problem - whatever it may be. I will also say something controversial - I would rather have the old 4 speed automatic form the 90's than this 10R80 at this point.
Sponsored