Sponsored

10R80 Owners - ULTIMATE M6G 10R80 Facts + Resolutions to harsh or no shift conditions

njweatherman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Premium California Special
Well, my next-door dealer is booked 4-6 weeks out, surrounding dealers 3-4 weeks just to see and diagnose the car. Covid/Holidays/Influx of used cars. He showed me the TSB and explained that the issue I was having.. At any given moment, they have a vehicle sitting around with a 10r80 in the shop being/waiting to be worked on. Valve body replacement and a program flash to start. I didn't want my car out in the weather for up to 6 weeks in a gated parking lot so he recommended I go easy on the throttle to come back in February.
RIP
I'm now scared to call the Ford dealership near me:(

Does your transmission act up even when your car is fully warmed up? Or, does the transmission only act up when it is cold? Mine, acts up only when the car is cold. Once it is warmed up, it is fine.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Cobra Jet

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Hey guys, see attached for TSB 21-2315. I read on the F-150 Forum, it has now been superseded by TSB 21-2357. I attached that one as well.
@njweatherman
Thanks for TSB 21-2357! I have updated the 10R80 TSB thread.

Firsttexan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT500 '19 GT PP1 '13 GT500, 98 GT, 92 LX 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
A reflash will update to the most current software version. If Ford updated the PCM software, it could improve things. It did for me (fingers crossed, knock on wood).
I went in for warranty work for the strut towers and I noticed the trans shifting more precisely. Then I noticed on the ticket the tech did a reflash .

ShapeShifter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
This thread is huge, so maybe I missed it... But anyone experience a "clunk" when downshifting while gently slowing down? See video. Volume up, headphones are best. You'll hear the clunk when it shifts to 5th gear. Has done it in other gears too, as well as going into reverse from drive.

Obviously I'll be taking it to the dealer for warranty, but curious if anyone has experienced the same and what the resolution was. I will post results of my dealer interaction.

2021 Mach 1 HP

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
Mine does once in a while when almost stopped. Depends on my throttle liftoff. IOW car happens to be downshifting at the precise moment of my throttle liftoff.

Same behavior in other vehicles, so I'm not worried ATM.

Sponsored

ShapeShifter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Mine does once in a while when almost stopped. Depends on my throttle liftoff. IOW car happens to be downshifting at the precise moment of my throttle liftoff.

Same behavior in other vehicles, so I'm not worried ATM.
Hmm I wonder if it is different. This clunk is hard enough I can feel it in my feet, and it happens nearly 100% of the time. I had a 10R80 in my F150 and never had anything like this for the 60,000 miles I owned it.

njweatherman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Premium California Special
This thread is huge, so maybe I missed it... But anyone experience a "clunk" when downshifting while gently slowing down? See video. Volume up, headphones are best. You'll hear the clunk when it shifts to 5th gear. Has done it in other gears too, as well as going into reverse from drive.

Obviously I'll be taking it to the dealer for warranty, but curious if anyone has experienced the same and what the resolution was. I will post results of my dealer interaction.

2021 Mach 1 HP
On my 2020 GT, California Special, I have not heard a clunk when downshifting or going from reverse to drive. The problems I have experienced so far with the transmission seem to happen when the car is cold. For instance, in Sport Mode+, my car wants to hold onto Gear 1 too long. It will shift into 2nd when I apply the brake for some reason. Also, 4th and 5th gear, bucks the car and I can feel it through the seat.
However, when the car is warmed up, the transmission runs fine. I'm going in for a 10K service the end of January. I will be posting on what they do.

Since your car is a 2021, bring your car in and see if they can do a quick check to see if you have enough transmission fluid. Some people on here ended up being low in fluid from the factory.

acemastr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT Premium
My trans is anything but smooth when stopping at a light. As soon as it goes down to 3rd-2nd-1st it's almost 'clunky' and makes me embarrassed if I have someone in the car. Trans re-learn fixes it for a while but it goes right back again shortly after.

My 98 4runner inspires more confidence coming to a stop than the Mustang.

1 old racer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2018 Royal Crimson GT PP1 prem., and others
Vehicle Showcase
I just got my car back from the dealership. What a difference. It's smooth as silk. That means that it never was right. So take your car in for the service bulletin TSB. 21-2315/212357. I took it in even with extra trans coolers they covered it. Take your cars in

acemastr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT Premium
I'm on an E85 tune by Lund, curious if this will override it

Sponsored

1 old racer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
They did ask me why and I told them that the trans ran hot in SoCal traffic and I didn't was a full trans failure even if it was covered under warranty. They said "ok". As far as the tune, did it do any reprogramming of the trans. If so then they will probably say no.

OP
OP
Cobra Jet

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
I just got my car back from the dealership. What a difference. It's smooth as silk. That means that it never was right. So take your car in for the service bulletin TSB. 21-2315/212357. I took it in even with extra trans coolers they covered it. Take your cars in
Good to hear the newest TSB is clearing up some more of the harsh/clunky trans shift points. On your work order, did it mention anything about also doing a trans relearn?

1 old racer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I will post the w.o. break down later today.

1 old racer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Here is what they did
20220122_090543.jpg
20220122_090506.jpg

mag_5.0h

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT PP1
I've been reading through this forum and saw many opinions and advice for issues with the 10r80, has anyone encountered p0741 on their car? If so what was the fix. I've been trying to find information on it but there isn't much out there
Sponsored