Sponsored

10R80 Owners - ULTIMATE M6G 10R80 Facts + Resolutions to harsh or no shift conditions

OP
OP
Cobra Jet

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
I did 1000+ miles in the last week, and the car seems to be acting up again. Its definetely not as bad as before but I get some harsh shifts and harsh downshifts to a stop here and there. S mode is harsh. I will call on Monday and go to dealership again.

If I opt for a lemon law replacement, what do they do until I get my car, which might be in 2021. Can I get my car from dealership to drive in the meantime, or a rental, or nothing?

edit: is there a thread on lemon law experiences to learn more?
Sorry to hear of the persistent issues.

Here’s a LL thread:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...or-are-filing-lemon-law-for-their-s550.59015/

Do read up on your Home State’s Lemon Laws and what qualifies for a LL claim. Every State has different provisions and limitations for filing. Be sure you are accessing your State’s DMV or Attorney General’s “.gov” website, NOT any third party website. You have to know your State’s Lemon Law, because Ford does not deviate from a State’s Lemon Law at all. Know what is afforded to you as far as consumer protection for a Lemon and if there are any State fees or other monetary penalties (mileage use) that would be due.

The Ford RAV Buy Back is tedious, it’s not quick and it can try your patience. If you need more info, search terms on here would be: “Ford RAV”, “RAV”, “Lemon Law” and “Ford Buy Back”. I have posted a lot of helpful RAV Buy Back info and others have gone through the process successfully on their own using that info.
Sponsored

Thegipper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
Nope. Mine was a 2020 and so were a couple others I test drove. None shifted well. I dumped it for a used 2018 Audi A5 convertible. It has a dual clutch automatic. The type transmission that’s noted for being rough. I’ve driven it 1800 miles and the transmission is a dream. Go figure. The Mustangs I’ve driven were ALL sub par shifting to ANY automatic I’ve owned. And I’ve had a bunch. 25 or so. Plus driven company cars and parents cars. Never seen anything like the Ford 10 speed. I hope they fix it eventually. Friend bought a 2021 Camaro with the very similar transmission and it shifts great. What is wrong at Ford??
My A10 was replaced on my 2020 after 4 months. It’s back at the dealership again due to a jarring 4-5 shift. It’s like I’ve been rear ended.... and for 2 recalls and for a sticking/clicking drivers side window when it rolls up and down and for a rear passenger creaking.

BlueCollarDaily

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 400a
Does anyone have a problem with an aftermarket tube, where even id the dyno plug is pulled over riding all traction control, the trans goes into 3rd spinning a tad from the harsh 2-3 and it short shifts to 4th?
It didn't do this for 50 pulls then did, I was told by tuner to rebuild the trans, I got it upgraded and it still does it....
Manual paddles and it runs the best it ever has even with my terrible anticipation on the paddles hehe.....
Id think valvebody but the paddles are commanding the same shift electromechanically?

BlueCollarDaily

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 400a
Thanks I will double check it, my tuner told me to get it built so I did with Raybestos GPZ clutches with new filter and fluid....We checked it once it was a bit overfull we pulled some out....I probably should make sure its on, just in case....its doing the same thing it did before built...
Id say well clutches are holding because it ran the fastest dragy pass ever in manual.....I just dont know where else to look the tuner doesnt want to dig into it ( they pretended its normal when I have a years worth of logs show it not doing it LOL its kinda nuts ), the valvebody makes sense to try if it didnt work in manual....lol at a loss.....as ive been many times on this car....3 engines 2 trans 10k miles...0 clean passes....

4sdvenom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mustang Cobra
Thanks I will double check it, my tuner told me to get it built so I did with Raybestos GPZ clutches with new filter and fluid....We checked it once it was a bit overfull we pulled some out....I probably should make sure its on, just in case....its doing the same thing it did before built...
Id say well clutches are holding because it ran the fastest dragy pass ever in manual.....I just dont know where else to look the tuner doesnt want to dig into it ( they pretended its normal when I have a years worth of logs show it not doing it LOL its kinda nuts ), the valvebody makes sense to try if it didnt work in manual....lol at a loss.....as ive been many times on this car....3 engines 2 trans 10k miles...0 clean passes....
Can’t help with the issue but I would definitely find a new tuner!

Sponsored

BlueCollarDaily

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 400a
Can’t help with the issue but I would definitely find a new tuner!
Yea they are the best though sucks....
Car has never been right 3rd engine 2nd trans and never made a clean pass down the track with 10k miles....

I think Ford hates me...lol

It is strange that there is this purgatory where there is no help, warranty void factory doesn't care, tuner doesn't car...trans guy is showing video of clutches to perfection actually had conversations with the man at Raybestos.....its like what now......I got no idea......

OP
OP
Cobra Jet

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BE VERY CAREFUL with the fluid diagnosis. There are different dipsticks used in the 10R80 and it has been noted here that depending on the dipstick used - fluid levels will vary. Users could be adding or removing too much IF the wrong dipstick marks are used.

See post #1 of this thread with the dipstick FAQ link.

—

Aside from your clutches and fluid - is the valve body the original and have you had the line pressure checked? If there was debris in the trans before the servicing of the clutches/fluid it’s highly possible the valve body (if original) had debris in it, or was malfunctioning, which would cause higher than normal line pressures - resulting in abnormal shifts.

BlueCollarDaily

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 400a
BE VERY CAREFUL with the fluid diagnosis. There are different dipsticks used in the 10R80 and it has been noted here that depending on the dipstick used - fluid levels will vary. Users could be adding or removing too much IF the wrong dipstick marks are used.

See post #1 of this thread with the dipstick FAQ link.

—

Aside from your clutches and fluid - is the valve body the original and have you had the line pressure checked? If there was debris in the trans before the servicing of the clutches/fluid it’s highly possible the valve body (if original) had debris in it, or was malfunctioning, which would cause higher than normal line pressures - resulting in abnormal shifts.
The trans guy said the trans looked new inside, with no clutch material of shavings in fact I could probably dig up a photo...he even said the clutches weren't glazed or worn but that the steels has a few hot spots....and should have worked fine...in fact he kept them to put in his expedition if he ever needs to....
This DOES make me lean towards Valvebody, I think before I give up...

It also is slow to go from R to D when cold, and shift flares the first 2 or so shift progessions....

I had a friend with a 2020 check his after sitting in cold for days in freezing weather, start it up immediately put into R and then D...ENTIRELY different than mine has always been....his was no different bone cold or hot.......in delay and no flares.....
Mine has had that day one BUT I read it was normal and or coarse the dealer says its normal....

Though I've had my buddy do that, and I went to a dealer with my wife and test drove another 2020 and didn't let them warm it up...didn't do it.....

Mine is 2019 built in 2018...maybe some valvebody revisions?

Det_Riot

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
1994 Mustang GT, 2018 Mustang GT
If the trans is new, the clutches are new, the tune is the same, and the only common denominator is the valve body, it’s the valve body.

Flyhalf

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 18 10speed auto PP1 , GT500 '21
Well... I think i finally understood how to bypass the thermostat.
I really hope to do a video soon.
Short story.. This doesn't regolate DIRECTLY the flow to the cooler of the 10r80 mustang.
So removing it won't open the flow 24/7.

Screenshot_20201214-144255.png

Sponsored

fatbillybob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT pp1 A10 Orange
More details flyhalf! You took the restrictor thing out and the tranny still gets hot?

OP
OP
Cobra Jet

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well... I think i finally understood how to bypass the thermostat.
I really hope to do a video soon.
Short story.. This doesn't regolate DIRECTLY the flow to the cooler of the 10r80 mustang.
So removing it won't open the flow 24/7.

Screenshot_20201214-144255.png
That’s one confusing photo - LOL - do you have 3 hands?

The brass part you are holding and the silver - can you explain more? I’ve seen your other thread discussing the 10R80 thermostat and your quest to modify.

Flyhalf

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 18 10speed auto PP1 , GT500 '21
ok I did a short video.
30sec
My objective is to run continuous flow to the trans cooler 24/7 While OEM opens at 190f. In normal condition this is ok. On track holding the temp lower than 220f is fundamental. After 220-230f the tranny starts to work erratically. Slipping, no upshifting. No downshifting etc I paddle shift when On track. (Chech the other videos) Having a continuous flow to the tranny will buy a huge time. And also help to cool it down after the session. (With engine runnings. ) Here's why removing the thermostat WAS NOT A GOOD SOLUTION thermostat doesn't directly open the duct. It pushes the valve that opens the duct. So no thermostat= NO OPENING = overheating (because the cooler is not working) Next will be to find 1. A thermostat that opens at very low temps. 2. Substitute the thermostat with a longer piece of metal to keep the valve open. Please contact me if you done it already. Alex

Sponsored