OP
sdiver68

sdiver68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP1 10R80 Vert
Vehicle Showcase
So what was the original question again?
Ford's "track cars" seem to be manual trans only
If Ford offered it maybe a "tuner" would follow the lead.
You could always work for a formula 1 team every other weekend on your time off and get the knowledge first hand and start your own boutique
Opening a shop is something I've thought about many times but so far it's not the best use of my time. Maybe some day.

For now I give my ideas, knowledge and experience away for free in order to give back to the road racing community. Questions like this are a way to explore others experience with pushing the envelope.
Sponsored

wes936

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang Grabber Blue EB 6MT
I think everyone is missing the point, an automatic on a road course would be super boring!

Who would want to do that to themselves.

Hivel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I think everyone is missing the point, an automatic on a road course would be super boring!

Who would want to do that to themselves.
Anyone who wants to drive fast?

Go tell these guys their self shifting cars are boring...

Maybe Ben needs to know his self shifting Mustang is boring too.

Cheers,

Last edited:

TicTocTach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clair
Vehicle(s)
2018 EBPP
I think that's where the tuning comes in. If the lockup function is actually able to handle significant power, then the tuning might be limited to making the shifts act like a sequential box. In the old lock-up slush boxes, the lock-up function would release beyond a certain throttle position because it couldn't handle much power. Steady-state cruise where a couple hundred fewer RPM on the highway gave mileage benefits is about all the early systems were good for. If that issue has been solved, it seems like the A10 could be tuned with software to behave however you wanted. Yeah, I like a stick, especially for screwing around on the street. I'm just sure that a modern auto will outshift me every single time, especially if tuned right.

armykyle1 [HACKED ACCOUNT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP premium
My only concern with the A10 would be the amount of shifting per lap and how would the Solenoids and internal clutches hold up, there would be significant wear in a year of lapping IMO
The ZL1 has mostly the same hardware. Different tuning though. But it has a shit load of coolers.

Sponsored

wes936

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang Grabber Blue EB 6MT
Yes I agree all those YouTube videos are cars with a Sequential Gearbox, and they all have a clutch pedal to leave from a stop. Which is what all road race cars use now a days, and motorcycles have always used. None have a torque converter.

The only place a torque converter is used in racing is the drag strip, which is nothing new.

If it has a torque converter than it’s a automatic, if no torque converter than it’s a manual gearbox regardless of how it’s shifting by your hand or with or without the assistance of a ecu.

Everyone is trying to say the new 10 speed auto is something other than just a automatic, but it’s been around for ever, and that happens to have 10 gears instead of 2 or 3 from years ago.

SVO MkII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost, 6sp, PP, 2017 GT Convertible
I don't think anyone on this forum get's paid to drive their Mustang around a track, i.e., get whatever makes you happy. Personally, I feel more comfortable driving a manual on track. It's all I've known for 20+ years. And yes, I agree it's more satisfying (as is driving a car on track without ABS). I am also not convinced the A10 would hold up to serious, repeated track use. I could be wrong, but it's just my hunch.

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
Maybe Ben needs to know his self shifting Mustang is boring too.

Cheers,
Nice clip!

If I'm not mistaken Ben's trans is a (Hollinger?) cog box it's just shifted with paddles as for a sequential.

The first time I drove a few DSG cars hard on track I was 'clutched' by how good they are (can't say I was 'converted' because they don't have one :wink:). Has anyone looked into tweaking the A10? Thoughts on whether the shift logic etc can be altered to yield gains on track without making it a dog for the street?

Flyhalf

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 18 10speed auto PP1 , GT500 '21
I regularly track my a 10 speed on road courses. I never use Auto shifting. I always use paddle the idea of a computer controlling my shifting it's not really what I like also I found out the ones I tried he was very bad. Biggest problem of a 10 is as you can probably imagine the overeating. Ford put inside the trans at thermostat opens around 200 f. That's an issue because trans can not support high temp for long. En fact, I had to swap a new trans after 10,000 miles . however performance speaking A10 is Superior then any manual .
I participated two time trials muscle cars and I had the chance to win both the car is pretty stock so part of the big result was due to the fact of the A10. I'm now in the process of it installing a much bigger cooler that I placed front of the AC condenser. I will be lucky if the temps will remain below 220f
IMG_20190519_141639_638.jpg

mustang5o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Oxford White Mach 1 Handling Pack
I regularly track my a 10 speed on road courses. I never use Auto shifting. I always use paddle the idea of a computer controlling my shifting it's not really what I like also I found out the ones I tried he was very bad. Biggest problem of a 10 is as you can probably imagine the overeating. Ford put inside the trans at thermostat opens around 200 f. That's an issue because trans can not support high temp for long. En fact, I had to swap a new trans after 10,000 miles . however performance speaking A10 is Superior then any manual .
I participated two time trials muscle cars and I had the chance to win both the car is pretty stock so part of the big result was due to the fact of the A10. I'm now in the process of it installing a much bigger cooler that I placed front of the AC condenser. I will be lucky if the temps will remain below 220f
IMG_20190519_141639_638.jpg
Can't wait to see how this turns out. I wish I had the A10 but overheating on track was my biggest worry. If this works out for you my next Stang may be an automatic.

Sponsored

Flyhalf

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
Well, I'll keep you posted guys our 2018 A10 is really really fast. But as often happen Ford misses always a little to make something good, a new excellence .
I wonder how the ZL1 1le will handle overheat on the 10speed.

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
Some company should make bolt on trans cooler and diff cooler kits for the GT's

Flyhalf

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
Some company should make bolt on trans cooler and diff cooler kits for the GT's
There is a OEM TRANS ON THE A10
That is the same of 6r80 and not enough for track duty .
However i really believe the only issue is the thermostat if it was always open we would have not Any issues

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
There is a OEM TRANS ON THE A10
That is the same of 6r80 and not enough for track duty .
However i really believe the only issue is the thermostat if it was always open we would have not Any issues
Do you think the thermostat could be replaceable like the engine coolant thermostats or is it part of a bigger assembly or really hard to get to?

Flyhalf

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
That's what I try to figure it out. That's right now nobody is tracking at the 810 hard like I am so I guess I am a kind of pioneer. As far as I know it doesn't exist any thermostat. And is it inside the transmission itself so fingers crossed if my cooler will work
Sponsored