Sponsored

10R80: jerky when coming to a stop in manual shifting mode

sycd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach1
Hey guys, I just joined the Mach1 owners club. Went with an automatic. Something I noticed with this transmission is that when in manual shifting mode, if I let it downshift by itself, the transmission is jerky coming to a stop on the 2-1 shift. It's consistent.

On the other hand when in fully automatic mode, coming to a stop is super smooth. So this seems to be pointing at a software issue.

Is anyone else experiencing the same issue?

Not sure if it's a common issue with the 10R80 or specific to the Mach1, but thought I would start in the Mach sub-forum.
Sponsored

dhborden

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 Chassis# M1869, Iconic Silver
Hey guys, I just joined the Mach1 owners club. Went with an automatic. Something I noticed with this transmission is that when in manual shifting mode, if I let it downshift by itself, the transmission is jerky coming to a stop on the 2-1 shift. It's consistent.

On the other hand when in fully automatic mode, coming to a stop is super smooth. So this seems to be pointing at a software issue.

Not sure if it's a common issue with the 10R80 or specific to the Mach1, but thought I would start in the Mach sub-forum.
In my experience, if you put the shifter in S (Sport) mode and then use the paddles, it expects you to keep doing the shifting up and down thru all gears. If you want it to resume behaving like an automatic, flick the shifter back to D (Drive) and it will be smooth again. If you leave it in S and don't touch the paddles, it will do the shifts up and down fir you but with shifting as if it was a manual, meaning it'll stay in gears longer before shifting up and you'll feel the down shifts to be a little jerky, just as if you were shifting and using engine braking a littlr. I find S mode around town to be quite fun, letting the car do the shifting, and use D for non-sporty highway drives. If your car is still new, remember it takes awhile for the transmission to learn your driving habits.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
if you put the shifter in S (Sport) mode and then use the paddles, it expects you to keep doing the shifting up and down thru all gears. If you want it to resume behaving like an automatic, flick the shifter back to D (Drive) and it will be smooth again.
or just long-hold on the upshift paddle. Even in 'D' people use the paddles to override the unhelpful algorithm.

OP
OP
sycd

sycd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach1
Thanks guys.

The car is new to me but has about 6k miles. If I let it shift by itself when coming to a stop in manual mode, it does feel like engine braking and jerky. To come to a stop smoothly in manual mode, I have to carefully time the shifts to 2nd and 1st. I also don't want to switch between S and D when stopping, that would be annoying.

I've had a few BMW M cars in the past and manual shifting of automatic transmission/DCT was 100x better. Super smooth when coming to a stop while letting it shift, and nice agressive blips of the throttle when shifting manually to make the gear switching smoother. I don't know why Ford can't figure this out for our transmission, it would make manual shifting with the auto trans so much more useful and fun with this car.

Are there tunes out there that help with the auto transmission behavior?

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
You'll want to talk to Unleashed Tuning. Ford engineers apparently think only 23 year old twats buy mustangs so they tune it for the imbecils who like to head bang to every downshift. Clearly I don't have have an opinion or nothing...

The f150 tune behaves sensibly even in sport mode as does the Camaro.

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
You'll want to talk to Unleashed Tuning. Ford engineers apparently think only 23 year old twats buy mustangs so they tune it for the imbecils who like to head bang to every downshift. Clearly I don't have have an opinion or nothing...

The f150 tune behaves sensibly even in sport mode as does the Camaro.
The 2020 Explorer ST also shifts very nice in both its Trans Modes Normal (D] and Sport (S).
——

The problem with the S550 10R80 programming is that when it is in Trans Mode “Sport” it’s trying to rev match… and as the speed decreases vs RPM, it’s a jerky transition.

Aside from the rev match, there could be some underlying issues with the trans such as low fluid, valve body issue, or a software update is needed. If a software update and trans relearn does not fix the extreme jerkiness, then it’s a hardware issue.

The 10R80 is also an adaptive learning transmission, so if you are new to it, it needs to “learn” your driving style, average speed/rpm, highway vs “in town” and length of drive times if you run the same route daily. It will adapt to you, sounds strange but it’s how it’s designed via its software programming.

Check out this thread if you have not; page 1 post 1, scroll down to all the Facts sections. The thread contains nearly anything and everything one needs to know about the 10R80:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...tions-to-harsh-or-no-shift-conditions.135463/

WCRookie99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2010 Porsche Carrera S, 2022 LH5
Great link above, exact reasons I was very skeptical of purchasing the 10R80. Yes I’ll concede if you’re on a Drag Strip, 10R80 will shift faster but not by much with 6sp no lift shift.

My 2005 Maserati Spyder, 2018 Cadillac XT4, 2019 Volvo and the 99 Ferrari I rented in Vegas all shift like crap. Most I can shift and mess up the programming that they get stuck in a gear.

Also they’re super slow in manual mode, like 1/1000, 2/1000 and then it shifts.

I just wasn’t convinced Ford could finally get it right. Please tell me I’m wrong.

Last edited:

Charlemagne

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Tempest 2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M3440
Vehicle Showcase
I just wasn’t convinced Ford could finally get it right. Please tell me I’m wrong.
I have a lot more testing of the S mode and paddle shifting for next year, didn't do WOT yet either in my first 1000 km, but D mode is flawless. It shifts completely smoothly, in the right moments. I have no comparison to standard GT's tuning, but I really like the Mach 1's. I can imagine that the S mode is more harsh, as it should be, aggressive shifting with manual transmission is nowhere near fluid either. Not needing to meddle with the stick with both hands on the steering wheel is awesome for cruising, also had 1 hour in highway jam already, true bliss.

Edit: After testing Sport+ mode few times, it shifts exactly as it should. Holds gears, always in the right gear, but allows economic drive too when the traffic situation/passing town requires it.

Last edited:

dhborden

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 Chassis# M1869, Iconic Silver
or just long-hold on the upshift paddle. Even in 'D' people use the paddles to override the unhelpful algorithm.
Thanks Shogun. Didn't know that. I'll try it next time I'm in the car.
The 10R80 is also an adaptive learning transmission, so if you are new to it, it needs to “learn” your driving style, average speed/rpm, highway vs “in town” and length of drive times if you run the same route daily. It will adapt to you, sounds strange but it’s how it’s designed via its software programming.
Since sycd mentioned the car is new to him, the car needs time to unlearn the previous owners' habits and learn his. As have been said in other threads, "drive it like you mean it" will speed that learning curve. Since the car is past break-in miles, enjoy it!

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase

I have the same problem sycd, I like to drive in sport+ with paddles. I have found it easier to let the car downshift itself once I get down to 3rd gear coming to a stoplight.
It is jerky almost every time and it annoys the shit out of me.
When in D and sport+ it downshifts fine when coming to a normal stop.
I have 5500miles on mine and it's done it from day 1.
Also when in D and Spot+ (no paddles) in traffic jam, when I try to cut over to another lane turning hard and gas it, it will lose power on me, leaving me a sitting duck when trying to not cutoff another car... wtf
A10 is definitely a jerky trans in the Mach 1 and I am kinda regretting my decision to buy it.

Sponsored

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6

The 10R80 is great for drag racing though.

gfcobra04

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2000 Cobra R, 94 Lightning, 2020 GT500
Thanks guys.

The car is new to me but has about 6k miles. If I let it shift by itself when coming to a stop in manual mode, it does feel like engine braking and jerky. To come to a stop smoothly in manual mode, I have to carefully time the shifts to 2nd and 1st. I also don't want to switch between S and D when stopping, that would be annoying.

I've had a few BMW M cars in the past and manual shifting of automatic transmission/DCT was 100x better. Super smooth when coming to a stop while letting it shift, and nice agressive blips of the throttle when shifting manually to make the gear switching smoother. I don't know why Ford can't figure this out for our transmission, it would make manual shifting with the auto trans so much more useful and fun with this car.

Are there tunes out there that help with the auto transmission behavior?
You can’t compare a DCT in a bmw or GT500 to a automatic they are two different animals. If you don’t want to shift leave it in auto mode and your shifts will be smoother. No amount of tuning will make your automatic feel like a DCT.

DemonGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 Mustang GT, 2021 Mustang GT PP1
What does a long hold on the upshift paddle do?

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
I also have found the A10 to be much much better once warmed up. Takes 20 min of driving
Sponsored