Sponsored

10R80 fluid (37k, 4-5 hpde + some autoX)

MinDseTz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium PP1
I was really surprised by how the dipstick looked vs how it looked drained. Im changing the fluid and filter hoping it helps temps on track. I’ve hit 255ish after pushing and the temps accelerate upwards based on how hard you drive it.

Other than temps on track Ive had minimal issues. Every once in a while a shift will feel like it slips a bit but its rare.

280B09D8-A83B-4A38-84DD-38F7382B3A82.jpeg

F5C673C6-E715-4F82-8886-3DC5977BAF07.jpeg
Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
You have any metal debris in that? That fluid (to me) at least from the image of the bottle, looks burnt.

How did the refill and checking if the dipstick go afterward? You checked when at op temps on the refill right?

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
You hit 255* for the 10R80 fluid? That thing is toast my friend, you'll be changing alot more than fluid very soon.

This won't help with temps on track, you need some serious upgrades. That or making sure you don't have any restrictions in the trans cooling system.

OP
OP
MinDseTz

MinDseTz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Vehicle(s)
You have any metal debris in that? That fluid (to me) at least from the image of the bottle, looks burnt.

How did the refill and checking if the dipstick go afterward? You checked when at op temps on the refill right?
I had metal but normal amounts compared to others I’ve seen. Nothing freely floating, all on the 2 magnets (trans pan and filter).

I used a syringe from hf to drain and refill. Took forever so I made a dispenser using some metal tubing and pump. I got 7-8qts out when I pulled pan and went slowly (longer it drips the more comes out). I added 5qts like the workshop manual says, started it, moved through the gears while parked, turned it off, then added 2 more qts. Measured it at about 100F, and it was at 5-6 mark. Added half a qt, then drove to 200F, measured it and it was in range.

OP
OP
MinDseTz

MinDseTz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Vehicle(s)
You hit 255* for the 10R80 fluid? That thing is toast my friend, you'll be changing alot more than fluid very soon.

This won't help with temps on track, you need some serious upgrades. That or making sure you don't have any restrictions in the trans cooling system.
You’re saying old oxidized fluid doesn’t loose some of its properties?

I hit 255 2x and it pulls power at 250. Trans felt fine after cooling and has no day to day issues. According to people I know with failed 10r80s, mine doesn’t seem to have any issues like they did.

There are no restrictions, just the bypass is too high and the operating range is too narrow. I’m going to change the bypass when @Flyhalf has some in stock and probably move the cooler so it’s not stacked.

Sponsored

OP
OP
MinDseTz

MinDseTz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Vehicle(s)

Also I’m going to drain and refill another 5-10 qts over the next 1000 miles to try and get more of the old fluid out. I know there's a way to actively pump it through and flush the system but I don’t have the system for that.

Flyhalf

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 18 10speed auto PP1 , GT500 '21
255 you wont find real piece of metal. U will find clutches ash lol
I will never stop to say this (i hope to spread the word as much as possible )
230f is the maximum everyone should reach with 225 preferable
I would change the fluid again real soon to use this as a "wash"

Consider the after market clutches as option. (I have an extraset new to sell if you are in need )
And yes the transmission bypass should be back on real soon .
Hopefully i will have in 2024 also a 140f thermostat.

OP
OP
MinDseTz

MinDseTz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Vehicle(s)
255 you wont find real piece of metal. U will find clutches ash lol
I will never stop to say this (i hope to spread the word as much as possible )
230f is the maximum everyone should reach with 225 preferable
I would change the fluid again real soon to use this as a "wash"

Consider the after market clutches as option. (I have an extraset new to sell if you are in need )
And yes the transmission bypass should be back on real soon .
Hopefully i will have in 2024 also a 140f thermostat.
Yeah I am going to flush or wash the system over the next month. I need to get the system above 200 for prolonged time but it’s hard in the winter (and I’m in Texas). Might have to tape off the front or something.

The trans doesn’t feel bad, so I’d be surprised if it’s going to fail soon. Regardless, I’ll cross that bridge when/if it happens. Going to the track in January a couple times so hopefully I see some improvement.
Sponsored