Sponsored

10HP Loss, Not compression! Real reason exposed with Dyno Proof

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10 / 23 Mach 1 A10 / 23 Mach 1 Tremec
I kept the plastic parts in on mine, so it easily go back to stock in needed. Super easy to just pop out the filter and put the air box back on.

IMG_0089.jpg
Hey Mspider and hivolts, that sounds like a good solution. Does the plastic cage that holds the actual filter just pop open somehow without surgey to give you access to the filter? It looks like the filter is designed to be easily replaceable.
Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
. . . And how many dolla bills did the YouTuber get from all the "clicks" to find out what we already knew from the threads in the M1 sub-forum where the retrofit on was found by early adopters and the recent threads in here detailing the "find" in the 2022's?

LMAO....

:devil:šŸ™ƒ

AvalancheSVT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 6spd
. . . And how many dolla bills did the YouTuber get from all the "clicks" to find out what we already knew from the threads in the M1 sub-forum where the retrofit on was found by early adopters and the recent threads in here detailing the "find" in the 2022's?

LMAO....

sounds like a smart feller to me :D

Coastal-Mach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2023 BMW M440i, 2020 Ram 1500, 2021 Jeep JK

LMAO....

Correct, I did a write up on it last month when I made the swap. Tony seems to be a good guy, from speaking with him. But a lone guy on a forum will not get the word spread like a YouTuber.

Mspider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
Hey Mspider and hivolts, that sounds like a good solution. Does the plastic cage that holds the actual filter just pop open somehow without surgey to give you access to the filter? It looks like the filter is designed to be easily replaceable.
The cage can open without any surgery or tools yes. The hardest part of the job was removing the top of the air box cover.

Its simple

-loosen the clamped connection with a flat head screwdriver only tool to ever be used.
-with your hands unclip the airbox (hands)
- reposition the air box cover so you can see the carbon filter. This will be the hardest part. (hands)
- Then with your hands open the cage and remove the filter. (hands)

All of this can be done while keeping the mass air flow sensor on.

This video helped me get started

Sponsored

LikeMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
Thatā€˜s interesting.

Can you expound a little about what you mean by ā€œrolling resistanceā€œ?
I cant coast the car unless in 6th gear or neutral. Otherwise my foot is on the pedal. In slow traffic I find myself tapping the gas in 2nd gear

Are you serious? If you are getting 10MPG you are either on the track or there is something wrong with your car. Is your parking brake on?
Driving is a mix of sport+, normal, and rain. Mixed driving is say 70% highway 30% city/traffic. Exhaust is always on track, always on premium gas. Buying a full tank ($60) every 4 days or so (I daily the vehicle). AC generally off, gets super icy when I accelerate.

I will reset the trip and stay on normal mode. See what I get and then remove the filter. The do it again
20220910_124101.jpg

Jjmoberg

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 on order
If removing the filters results in increased power it makes me really think about a Soler ported throttle body as well. I feel like the ECU can adjust for these air mods easily.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I cant coast the car unless in 6th gear or neutral. Otherwise my foot is on the pedal. In slow traffic I find myself tapping the gas in 2nd gear

Driving is a mix of sport+, normal, and rain. Mixed driving is say 70% highway 30% city/traffic. Exhaust is always on track, always on premium gas. Buying a full tank ($60) every 4 days or so (I daily the vehicle). AC generally off, gets super icy when I accelerate.

I will reset the trip and stay on normal mode. See what I get and then remove the filter. The do it again
OK, so all joking aside it sounds like either your parking brake of regular brakes are not fully disengaged. You should not feel like the car is holding you back nor should you be seeing such low gas mileage on a brand new engine.

So exhaust and A/C has nothing to do with either of your issues. Using 93 although not required is also a good move (make sure you are using TopTier gas just because). Your mixes of driving modes and road use should return mileage in the high teens, low twenties so long as you are not beating it too much (I hope not on a new engine).

So either get the car back to the dealer or if you are a DIY king of guy start pulling wheels off and check your brakes.

And lastly do not go down the filter rabbit hole. The reality is that the filter may rob you of a few HP but nothing the seat of your pants dyno is going to notice. But if it makes you feel better go for it. :like:

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The cage can open without any surgery or tools yes. The hardest part of the job was removing the top of the air box cover.

Its simple

-loosen the clamped connection with a flat head screwdriver only tool to ever be used.
-with your hands unclip the airbox (hands)
- reposition the air box cover so you can see the carbon filter. This will be the hardest part. (hands)
- Then with your hands open the cage and remove the filter. (hands)

All of this can be done while keeping the mass air flow sensor on.

This video helped me get started

Mspider thank you for your patience with these instructions. If you can tolerate one more request for clarification, how do you ā€œopen the cageā€ so that the filter can be removed? You indicate by hand while another poster indicates the rivets must be drilled out. Does the plastic cage somehow unsnap by hand and the other poster just missed it?

Thanks again!

Mspider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
Mspider thank you for your patience with these instructions. If you can tolerate one more request for clarification, how do you ā€œopen the cageā€ so that the filter can be removed? You indicate by hand while another poster indicates the rivets must be drilled out. Does the plastic cage somehow unsnap by hand and the other poster just missed it?

Thanks again!
I believe they are talking about removing the entire thing. Look at the picture I posted. Everything in red square can be released by fingers/hands. I don`t think I even opened it all the way. Just enough to snake the filter right now, then closed it back up.

E474F5CE-60A5-4B4D-A958-D079CF3A9188-edit.jpg

Sponsored

Mach VII

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 401A, 1989 Lincoln Mk VII LSC
OK, so all joking aside it sounds like either your parking brake of regular brakes are not fully disengaged. You should not feel like the car is holding you back nor should you be seeing such low gas mileage on a brand new engine.

So exhaust and A/C has nothing to do with either of your issues. Using 93 although not required is also a good move (make sure you are using TopTier gas just because). Your mixes of driving modes and road use should return mileage in the high teens, low twenties so long as you are not beating it too much (I hope not on a new engine).

So either get the car back to the dealer or if you are a DIY king of guy start pulling wheels off and check your brakes.

And lastly do not go down the filter rabbit hole. The reality is that the filter may rob you of a few HP but nothing the seat of your pants dyno is going to notice. But if it makes you feel better go for it. :like:
I see that Mike's location is NYC. His highway driving is not the same as our highway driving lol. Stoplight to stoplight driving will net those kind of numbers, the inability to coast though sounds off but I don't have an auto so no real world experience...

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
Except the power kit uses the same intake as the bullitt, gt350, and now mach 1. The mach 1 has this hydrocarbon filter added. There's technically no reason why they couldn't update the kit to use this new carbon filter contraption and sell it for the '22. I say technically because cost analysis could've ended with a fat "not worth it" for the last two MY of the s550.

I think the old design has the carbon trap, too. Unless I was seeing things, I could've sworn I saw one flush with the tube, right after the air filter. Except that doesn't obstruct airflow, which is a big no no for the EPA.

Well my reasoning was because that kit would remove the carbon trap. It looks like Ford is going to make a kit after all, it will be interesting to see how they got around this.

2022 Mach 1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cameron
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1...2014 Mustag GT whipple supercharger
Well my reasoning was because that kit would remove the carbon trap. It looks like Ford is going to make a kit after all, it will be interesting to see how they got around this.
The kit won't remove the HC trap. Ford still has to sell parts that meet EPA regulations.

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The kit won't remove the HC trap. Ford still has to sell parts that meet EPA regulations.
Thatā€˜s what Iā€™m thinking too. Going a step further maybe we can piggyback this mod on top of the FP kit for a sure enough worthwhile gain. Then thereā€™s always a K&N drop in on top of all that but I personally have no idea how much more air the ECU can adapt to. I remember being shocked at how much additional airflow Harley ECUs could suck up.
Sponsored

Last edited: