Sponsored

10 Speed Auto or 6 Speed Manual, what say you?

MIDLYFE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible
When I first started looking at the 2019 Mustang I went to the local dealer to test drive 5.0 ten speed auto and a 5.0 six speed manual. Having owned an 87 GT 5 speed, I fully expected I'd like the manual more. Well, I walked away shocked knowing with absolute certainty that I'd be getting the 10 speed. It's an engineering masterpiece. When driven hard its unbelievable how the it feels as though you're perpetually in the power band. I liked the 6 speed but I can't afford two GT's so the automatic was the obvious choice.

In short, the 10 speed is a rush I want again and again and again.

Sponsored

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
Excellent choice, now get a pro to tune it and you’ll love it even more..

Last edited:

Labradog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Guard Metallic
This has been beat to death, but...the only manual I'd consider is in the Mach 1 or the 350. Otherwise my 3 months with an MT-82 was enough.

Sponsored

Avispa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS convertible
They've been engineering masterpieces since the Cruise-O-Matic. Now they're even better. Keep the stick if that's what you prefer to drive, but automatics are objectively better.

OP
OP
MIDLYFE

MIDLYFE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
Excellent choice, now get a pro to tune it and you love it even more..
Was thinking about going with the JLT performance cold air intake and Lund Racing nGauge. Would love to hear from someone who has had it done. Any suggestions on how to best find a good tuner suited to the project.

OP
OP
MIDLYFE

MIDLYFE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
Was thinking about going with the JLT performance cold air intake and Lund Racing nGauge. Would love to hear from someone who has had it done. Any suggestions on how to best find a good tuner suited to the project.
Rev X Tuner rather

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
Lund is an excellent choice, they’ll get that horse to eat..

fatbillybob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT pp1 A10 Orange
I'm still learning racing the A10. I find new things about it. It is a really good box you just have to keep it cool. For street it isn't a problem. A10 shifts almost as good as a DCT and in some cases it shifts faster. It really is very close to the porsche pdk without all the PDK breakdown drama. The main problem I find with the A10 is I am always shifting. The A10 might shift 2x as fast as the manual but I'm shifting twice as much so the speed is sort of a wash...I think. BMW and Porsche have it right a 7speed DCT. It is the best compromise IMO. One of the cool things I learned about the A10 is that when I downshift it will not blow up the motor. My racecar is pretty quiet and other loud racecars around me and the wind with helmet on I have a hard time and sometimes can't hear the car shift. It is so smooth that the chassis is not upset shifting so I can't feel it shift either! That is a big wow! So diving into a corner I can just bang the down paddle and the car will go to the gear that will not overrev the motor. So I can get back on the gas and just upshift. So I do not have to remember what gear I am in or how far the car has downshifted on my manual command. On my 1st races I was hitting down twice to go down 2 gears. Under certain conditions it may or maynot do as I ask. But as I reach minimum turn in speed banging the down always finds the right gear and off I go. So just like heel toe downshifting there is a learning curve to paddle shifting.

Sponsored

RonsterGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
‘22 5.0 GT/‘16 F150 XLT/‘21 Explorer Platinum
Once I installed the Ford Performance CAI and calbration (M-9603-M8B) the A10 completely transformed - in a good way! No gear hunting, no bogging, no hesitant/rough shifts.

Line pressures are increased, so shifts are crisper.

WOT in Sport, Track and Drag bang hard, Track and Drag especially.

I drive in Sport mostly, drive aggressively, and the rev-matched downshifts are pure sex to the ears if that’s a thing lol. Upshifts are delayed, keeping the engine in the powerband longer.

Throttling and all around engine performance is also improved. Sound tube is removed, so it sounds phenomenal.

Best part is warranty is intact 100%.

fatbillybob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT pp1 A10 Orange
Once I installed the Ford Performance CAI and calbration (M-9603-M8B) the A10 completely transformed - in a good way! No gear hunting, no bogging, no hesitant/rough shifts.

Line pressures are increased, so shifts are crisper.
Is there a way to do the calibration for the A10 without the CAI? The CAI is not legal in my race class.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Alot to like with the 10 speed. Even when you just compare it to the 15-17 6 speed auto.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Fast autos are fun and easy, but to me the third pedal is necessary or I get bored. No auto can ever replace slamming the lever 2-3 at wide open, lol.

I had a nice dual clutch for a while before the Mustang but it just got boring. The only sad thing is with manual you give up a lot of performance. You'll never be stop light king, if that matters to you.
Sponsored