10 Speed Auto or 6 Speed Manual, what say you?

Mikthehun1

Reaction score
First Name
Mik
Vehicle(s)
19 GT a10, 19 Charger Scat Pack
Sold review, explains what's so good about the A10. But what I highlighted in bold is what I just can't get past. No matter how good an automatic is, it doesn't replace slamming the clutch in and slamming that lever into the next gate. If I didn't already come from an automatic performance car, I would have gotten the A10, no question. But I'm glad I already had that experience beforehand and knew I would miss that too much. I daily drive an automatic, so I need my fun car to check ALL the boxes.

But I agree, you literally can't go wrong with either choice. This discussion comes up on this board and every other car discussion board in history, including every facebook group, pretty much once a month at the least. Stick jerkers versus D for drivers. And the consensus is always that somehow everyone is wrong. I love it. This discussion will never truly die until the manual itself does, which is coming very soon.
Even if/when manual transmissions go away, people will still argue about how much better driving was with them. Same with anything: the future is scary, change is bad, and I want things to be the way they were before. That's really what every manual evangelist wants, to go back to when automatics were inferior by every metric.

Advertisement

ice445

Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Even if/when manual transmissions go away, people will still argue about how much better driving was with them. Same with anything: the future is scary, change is bad, and I want things to be the way they were before. That's really what every manual evangelist wants, to go back to when automatics were inferior by every metric.
Yep, pretty much. And the only thing they can hold over an auto driver's head now is "driving skill" or "driving experience". And they're salty about it. The funny thing is that for me, even though I prefer manual overall, some days I HATE it. My brain just doesn't understand how to jerk the stick and work the clutch at the same time. Or I get butthurt over a bad shift, start, or some traffic. Auto never has those issues. If I had to drive only one car, it wouldn't be a manual for that reason alone.

But, just like a hot girlfriend who's bipolar, you keep coming back for more.

CJJon

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
Got called a pussy by a buddy who thinks my A10 GT should have been manual. I just laughed at him.

Rapid Red

Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
RaceRed>GT PP2 >RXCAIL2
Vehicle Showcase
It's the golden rule " The one with the gold gets to make the rule"

That equates to your money your call, period.

What I call fun others call a hassle. That might equate to a lack of coordination. Having to think beyond stepping on the gas to move. Instead of a natural skill, that can adjust on the fly without thinking..

Wax on wax off, brake on brake off

Trap

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium
I gotta go with the 6 speed stick side, the reaon for buying one is the driving experience and fun factor. If I strictly want to 1/4 mile i would pick the auto, but I am all stick for now

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
At least when you go on the WRX forums and extoll the virtues and zen experience of the manual transmission, you won't get any argument.
With over 80% MT fitment in the WRX - well above the MT take rate for any of the domestic ponycars - discussions of MT vs AT (of any type) hardly ever come up.

Mik - Subaru seems to have gone CVT for all of their automatics. Even the 3.6L Legacy, which had been an A5 holdout for a few years after dropping the M6. CVTs are even lower on my transmission preference list than conventional automatics.

Norm

Last edited:

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Balr14 said:
At least when you go on the WRX forums and extoll the virtues and zen experience of the Fart Can, you won't get any argument.

Fixed it for you:)
If you're a dyed-in-the-wool Subie fanboi, probably not.

But there's been plenty of opposition to putting the "traditional Subie rumble" back into the 2015-up WRX, directed particularly against an unequal-length header designed specifically for that purpose. Some of that push-back was mine - the H4 rumble (H4 rattle in original VW Beetle-speak) is one exhaust sound I never did like and I'm really glad that I don't have to drive to avoid it.

Norm

Qcman17

Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
Balr14 said:
At least when you go on the WRX forums and extoll the virtues and zen experience of the Fart Can, you won't get any argument.

If you're a dyed-in-the-wool Subie fanboi, probably not.

But there's been plenty of opposition to putting the "traditional Subie rumble" back into the 2015-up WRX, directed particularly against an unequal-length header designed specifically for that purpose. Some of that push-back was mine - the H4 rumble (H4 rattle in original VW Beetle-speak) is one exhaust sound I never did like and I'm really glad that I don't have to drive to avoid it.

Norm
Hi Norm,

I was just having a bit of fun with that crack...... We've all experienced them with the sideways ballcaps at stop lights. Funny my old neighbour bought a 2017 WRX in a manual. He traded in his 2009 Mustang GT manual for it. The Mustang was still a nice car too. That WRX was gone in no time. I never understood how he could go from his sweet sounding 3 valve to that car.

I know very little about Subies but he showed me the exhaust setup on it. Basically one header or manifold to the back and split & then to 4 tips or something like that. No wonder it lacked any sound. It was a nice car but it was just to sedate looking for my tastes.

O/T- I drove manuals for many years & I just lost the fever for them. These new autos do so much more than the older ones. My only complaint with the 10 speed is shift quality can be harsh or jerky at times but as far as it knowing what gear to be in it seems really good at that.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Every time he posts on a Manual vs Auto thread I just hear "Hey kids, get off my lawn!"
Every time I stumble across a Manual vs Auto thread I can count on the pro-AT side trying to convince me that the performance improvement is worth what I'd be giving up (and what it would take for me to adapt to it) to get it.

For me, the gains simply aren't worth the costs.

Norm

Last edited:

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Hi Norm,

I was just having a bit of fun with that crack...... We've all experienced them with the sideways ballcaps at stop lights. Funny my old neighbour bought a 2017 WRX in a manual. He traded in his 2009 Mustang GT manual for it. The Mustang was still a nice car too. That WRX was gone in no time. I never understood how he could go from his sweet sounding 3 valve to that car.

O/T- I drove manuals for many years & I just lost the fever for them.
No offense taken, and I wouldn't have ever traded my '08 GT in to get our WRX even if they offered me a stupid amount of money for it.

It's strictly in the spirit of this thread that we did end up with a WRX - we've insisted on getting a MT even in our "family sedans" for nearly 50 years and that still hasn't changed. It's just the way we expect our cars to work.

These new autos do so much more than the older ones. My only complaint with the 10 speed is shift quality can be harsh or jerky at times but as far as it knowing what gear to be in it seems really good at that.
I'm not convinced about any automatic always knowing what gear I might want it to be in. Not as long as there is any connection between throttle position and the transmission module's shift logic under any operational mode, and if those things are not kept separate, I'm never going to be happy with it.

Norm

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Same with anything: the future is scary, change is bad, and I want things to be the way they were before.
Point taken . . . but 'change' should be defined in terms of individual assessments regarding specific changes. Not as the "you gotta go with the 'new' just because it's new" whispers that I keep hearing in the background to a number of topics.

That's really what every manual evangelist wants, to go back to when automatics were inferior by every metric.
No, not all of us. Doesn't matter to me how many metrics an AT might be superior to a MT by, as long as the AT has any automated gear selection capability.

Norm

Arthonon

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
The smoothness of the shift, by driving mode, all depends on how you're driving. In Sport and especially Sport +, yes it definitely shifts harder, but it's also expecting you to be in that mode to drive a little harder. Go somewhere secluded, put it in sport + and floor it. You will see how smooth and quick it shifts. At least that's been my experience.
My post was to point out that it seems different for different people. I know it is supposed to learn, but maybe I just don't drive it enough (9000 miles in 2.5 years) for it to settle in.

If I did as you suggest (flooring it in a secluded area) and it was smooth, great, but what if I am driving some twisty roads, speeding up and slowing down? To Norm's point I could make that a smooth shift with a manual, but as I am driving and I slow down for a corner or curve, then speed up, then slow down again for the next one, flooring it is not an option, and the shifts are often hard, even as I am accelerating out of the curve.

Qcman17

Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
I'm not convinced about any automatic always knowing what gear I might want it to be in. Not as long as there is any connection between throttle position and the transmission module's shift logic under any operational mode, and if those things are not kept separate, I'm never going to be happy with it.

Norm
No I wasn't suggesting it is always right I'm merely saying it does a pretty good job for an auto. If I want to be in certain gears at a certain time I use the paddles and then I get to choose much like you do.

I always get a kick out of these threads. No one is going to convince me I should have bought a manual anymore than I could convince someone about the auto. Nor should we. I bought the car I wanted as did the manual owners and it should be that way. In the end we are really debating our own personal likes and dislikes and there is no right or wrong answer.

jrsimon27

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2016 PP
should have made a poll OP but i would get a manual tranny just more fun but it all depends on what you want.

Advertisement

51 - American Racing Headers - 1

Advertisement