Sponsored

10 Speed Auto or 6 Speed Manual, what say you?

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
Barking up the wrong tree. Norm still waxes nostalgic over carburetors and crank starts :giggle:
Norm can find the most esoteric reasons for manual transmissions! I expect to read about how he enjoys how the phases of the moon effect the feel of the clutch pedal. :crackup:
Sponsored

fatbillybob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT pp1 A10 Orange
This is one of the exact reasons I'll always buy a MT.

The best an automatic can do is assume you want it to shift a certain way, based on what somebody who's "not-you" thought you wanted (whether this be mode-specific or not). Personally, I don't want any shifts to be 'hard' . . . ever. No matter how enthusiastically I may be driving at the moment, and never mind if somebody else thinks I'm supposed to want the transmission to shift that way

Norm
But you actually have it wrong. With the A10 you can be 100% auto and just enjoy or hate the Ford programing. Or you can manually shift the A10 even in the highest sport mode and basically shift your car with your fingers instead of clutch and arm on stick shift. The performance advantages are unquestioned. I'm racing only and the A10 is so smooth shifting in manual mode that often I can't feel or hear if it has shifted upon command. The A10 is smooth as buttah! It has protections in it that prevent harm to engine and I'm 100% convinced that this is the source of complaints about not shifting on command in manual mode. When a driver is at his limit many things going on diving into a corner he may command a downshift when the resultant rpm is not allowed. He may think he should be able to shift but he isn't looking at the RPM dial because he is target fixated on the corner! We are also used to the range of acceptable RPM with fewer 5 or 6 gears. The 10 speed is defacto close ratio and that demands a better driver to optimize the benefits of that closer ratio.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
The A10 learns your driving style and has enough modes to make just about anyone happy.
Know what? I'd defy it to guess how enthusiastically I was about to drive. And like I said, hard shifting would be a hard no (how many modes would that affect?).

Norm

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Barking up the wrong tree. Norm still waxes nostalgic over carburetors and crank starts :giggle:
No, not that far back. I'd really rather tinker with laptop-tunable EFI than mess with carburetors/points/condensers. Done both.

Norm

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
But you actually have it wrong. With the A10 you can be 100% auto and just enjoy or hate the Ford programing.
I don't think I could even bring myself to run an AT in a fully automatic mode. Seriously.

Or you can manually shift the A10 even in the highest sport mode and basically shift your car with your fingers instead of clutch and arm on stick shift. The performance advantages are unquestioned.
I could have told you all that at least 55 years ago, except for the '10' part of A10 anyway.

I'm racing only and the A10 is so smooth shifting in manual mode that often I can't feel or hear if it has shifted upon command. The A10 is smooth as buttah!
That's exactly my goal for shifting a MT. Every shift, whether on the street or at the track. But I want to have it on me to make it happen, not have it handed to me on a silver platter for the price of touching a glorified microswitch.

When a driver is at his limit many things going on diving into a corner he may command a downshift when the resultant rpm is not allowed. He may think he should be able to shift but he isn't looking at the RPM dial because he is target fixated on the corner!
I can see this easily happening with the A10 or with a DSG, especially if the driver has a lot of seat time driving them in a full automatic mode where he need not pay any attention to what rpm the engine is turning.

Can't say as I've ever intentionally gone for a gear that was too low for the road speed. Had the S197's OE shifter (known to be somewhat problematic in the upper rev ranges) try to give me 2nd once when I couldn't get 3rd on a downshift and tried to go back to 4th, though.

We are also used to the range of acceptable RPM with fewer 5 or 6 gears. The 10 speed is defacto close ratio and that demands a better driver to optimize the benefits of that closer ratio.
I get this . . . The middle gears on the 10R80 average something like 1.20:1 spacing, which is more like a motorcycle (and too many gears for any reasonable H-pattern shifting). Sequential or conventional automatic are the only ways that make sense. Dunno, maybe I'll run a comparative acceleration sim starting from some corner exit speed and ending at the distance to the next braking zone.

Norm

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
It "guesses" as well as the ECU does.
As long as the ECU doesn't stumble, its guesses have to be considered "close enough". You wouldn't be able to do what an ECU (or a carburetor and points/condenser ignition, for that matter) does in real time like you can with choosing what gear to engage next and how smoothly or harshly you want to engage it.

Norm

txpat3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pat
Vehicle(s)
2019 Velocity Blue PP1 5.0
6MT for me. The performance of the 10 speed is incredible, but I just love the connection a manual provides. I don't really care if the auto is slightly faster, driving a manual is just more fun to me!

I drove a 2011 5.0 with the 6MT for six years before trading it in on a Scatpack Charger. Took me three years with the Charger (which I loved) until I sorely missed a manual transmission. Traded the Charger on a 2019 5.0 with the 6MT and never looked back.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I’m still trying to imagine why an owner with a MY08 is spending his time on this forum.
Because I believe that exposure to cars you don't own (but might in the future) is a good thing. And some things translate to the newer cars that you learned from your time with the older ones.

You could probably blame thePill for me even being here . . . and I'll just leave it at that.

Norm

Sponsored

fatbillybob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT pp1 A10 Orange
Maybe we can just enjoy the attributes of both and team up for our hate against EV's! Long live ICE and the sound of cubic inches.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Maybe we can just enjoy the attributes of both and team up for our hate against EV's! Long live ICE and the sound of cubic inches.
Nawwwww that would be the death of the internet.

JBGun10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, 2001 Corvette Z06
the 6sp MT is the way to go for me. I cant imagine owning a Mustang GT which is used for the normal street driving and having a automatic transmission

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
Because I believe that exposure to cars you don't own (but might in the future) is a good thing. And some things translate to the newer cars that you learned from your time with the older ones.

Norm
At least when you go on the WRX forums and extoll the virtues and zen experience of the manual transmission, you won't get any argument.
Sponsored