Sponsored

10 Speed Auto or 6 Speed Manual, what say you?

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Clutch knee - exactly why I sold my '16 5.0 GT.
Yeah, it stinks....luckily mine hasn't forced me out of my '15 yet.....
Sponsored

RonsterGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
‘22 5.0 GT/‘16 F150 XLT/‘21 Explorer Platinum
Yeah, it stinks....luckily mine hasn't forced me out of my '15 yet.....
Got to a point where I was dreading getting behind the wheel. 30+ years of playing hockey and 20+ years of weight training/bodybuilding took its toll.
It was a blessing in disguise - I can now drive in comfort AND enjoy a coffee :)
The A10 is awesome!

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve had a 15GT with MGW shifter for last 6 years and although I love driving stick, I’m ready to change over to the Mach1 with Auto and all the cooling to go with it.
I think it will still be very fun to drive.
Will I miss the stick, yeah but I’ll get over it.

BigRed550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
Once I installed the Ford Performance CAI and calbration (M-9603-M8B) the A10 completely transformed - in a good way! No gear hunting, no bogging, no hesitant/rough shifts.

Line pressures are increased, so shifts are crisper.

WOT in Sport, Track and Drag bang hard, Track and Drag especially.

I drive in Sport mostly, drive aggressively, and the rev-matched downshifts are pure sex to the ears if that’s a thing lol. Upshifts are delayed, keeping the engine in the powerband longer.

Throttling and all around engine performance is also improved. Sound tube is removed, so it sounds phenomenal.

Best part is warranty is intact 100%.
So would you say the performance pack is worth the price? And how much did install run you?

Arthonon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
It's interesting to read about the different experiences with the 10-speed. I've read some people say it's great in Sport or Sport+ mode, but clunky in normal, or that it would hunt gears, etc., and I've had a different experience with mine.

In Normal mode, it's silky smooth, with almost undetectable shifts, and no hunting that I've noticed, but in Sport or Sport+, the shifts can be so hard you can feel the wheels shift, especially if cornering. It seems to get better after driving a little after first switching to Sport/+, but the next time, it does the same thing, so I don't think it's a "learning" issue.

For me, manual mode with the A10 is only good for really sporty driving - it's too many gears for just driving around town, but on a twisty road, you can keep it between 3rd and 6th in most cases, and I find it to be a lot of fun.

Sponsored

derklink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach 1
I’ve had a 15GT with MGW shifter for last 6 years and although I love driving stick, I’m ready to change over to the Mach1 with Auto and all the cooling to go with it.
I think it will still be very fun to drive.
Will I miss the stick, yeah but I’ll get over it.
Can you recommend the MGW shifter? Have been thinking about installing one but not sure if it increases NVH and whether it affects warranty...

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
Can you recommend the MGW shifter? Have been thinking about installing one but not sure if it increases NVH and whether it affects warranty...
I would absolutely recommend it! Night and day difference. Solved all the lockout into 3rd issues
I also changed fluid to BG
I could not notice any NVH
Just make sure they use the sound deadening stick on stuff when installing
It comes with it.

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
If I was younger, didn't have to drive much in traffic, and the tremec from the GT350 was offered in the GT, I'd have the manual. But the A10 is a lot of fun and I'm content with it for my current situation.

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
If I was younger, didn't have to drive much in traffic, and the tremec from the GT350 was offered in the GT, I'd have the manual. But the A10 is a lot of fun and I'm content with it for my current situation.
40 so guessing a little younger maybe. The MT82 works perfectly fine for my non track use. Traffic in a manual is a misconception imo. This car is crazy easy to drive no matter the transmission. I have been in freeway closure traffic where it took hours to get home from 10 miles away and never once got tired or felt bothered by having a manual transmission. Saying that, I know all our legs are in different conditions so more years may change my opinion on this. Just my .02 on traffic. More than happy to hear you're enjoying your A10 mustang!

Andrew@Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2003 10th Anniversary Cobra / 2003 Ford Lightning
When I first started looking at the 2019 Mustang I went to the local dealer to test drive 5.0 ten speed auto and a 5.0 six speed manual. Having owned an 87 GT 5 speed, I fully expected I'd like the manual more. Well, I walked away shocked knowing with absolute certainty that I'd be getting the 10 speed. It's an engineering masterpiece. When driven hard its unbelievable how the it feels as though you're perpetually in the power band. I liked the 6 speed but I can't afford two GT's so the automatic was the obvious choice.

In short, the 10 speed is a rush I want again and again and again.

The 10 speed is unmatched. Great choice.

Sponsored

hossman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
I was a diehard manual guy but got tired of it on my 17 and sold it, and went auto on my 19 and glad I switched.

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
I have enjoyed my E tuned A10 for 2.5 years now. A manual would be fun too although I would want a tremec myself.

RazzaRossa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
I asked this in another thread a while back. What would stop a '18 thru '20 MT6 owner from swapping to the 6 speed that would be offered in the new Mach 1? Yeah I know cost and all that, but 5-7 years down the road, or whenever a clutch is due, I'll bet you could find salvage yard trannys relativly cheap and upgrade to the better manual. I know there may be some programming changes possibly required for ratio differences (maybe not) but how different are the 2 transmissions?

RonsterGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
‘22 5.0 GT/‘16 F150 XLT/‘21 Explorer Platinum
So would you say the performance pack is worth the price? And how much did install run you?
For me personally, worth the price, but we all perceive value differently.
The value for me lies in solid hp/tq gains and improved transmission performance (I just traded my C7 Z06 ‐ so I have a decent yardstick).
Sound tube is removed, so the motor sounds like a "real" NA V8 ‐ free breathing and powerful. Sounded "canned" with sound tube.
Keeping warranty intact is awesome as well.
The kit is legit!
I paid for 1.75 hrs labour ($175 CDN).

Online, the best price in USA I saw was levittownfordparts.com. Use discount code "5off". I did this, screenshotted, and my dealer parts dept matched the price. I get treated well because I bring them donuts when I visit 😁.

Last edited:

friedmud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
When I bought my GT 1.5 weeks ago, I was really excited to get back to driving a manual after about a 5-year absence in my life...

BUT - now I've already run into transmission issues: https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/grinding-when-letting-off-clutch.153986/

I drove a manual for 20 years previously and loved every minute of it, but I hope I don't regret the MT82.

After the warranty is over, I will definitely be replacing it with something more interesting...
Sponsored