Sponsored

10 Speed Auto or 6 Speed Manual, what say you?

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
So.....Dad went ahead and replaced the clutch again and he went for a test drive with the guy. He saw the dude hovering his left foot over the pedal and told him to turn around and head back to the house. They pulled into the driveway and Dad gave him a earful about how to properly drive a manual transmission and then told him to never show up with that car again! It was a very effective demonstration of the lesson Dad taught me several years before and I've taken it to heart with every MT car I've ever owned since then.
IIRC, you couldn't just drop the transmissions in those Sprites/Midgets down and out of the car from below due to the car's fully boxed 'backbone' chassis design. I don't blame your Dad one bit for chewing that guy out.

Norm
Sponsored

Intrepid175

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
IIRC, you couldn't just drop the transmissions in those Sprites/Midgets down and out of the car from below due to the car's fully boxed 'backbone' chassis design. I don't blame your Dad one bit for chewing that guy out.

Norm
Well, I was just a teenager at the time. I remember watching him do the work and handing him tools as needed but I don't remember him having any particular problems with it. He had a good friend and the two of them really enjoyed the old British sports cars. They were well practiced in disassembly, rebuilding, and reassembly of those old cars. We had MG's, Triumph's, and Austin Healey's in the driveway through the years when I was growing up. That's why I have a soft spot for convertibles. My 2016 GT is a ragtop and I love it. I don't think I'd fit in a Midget anymore.

One thing I remember Dad being able to do relatively easily is just bench press the tranny back into position when the time came. I doubt very many will be doing that with the Mustang! :wink:

DeadBroke3.7

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
james
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford mustang gt premium 10r80
The smoothness of the shift, by driving mode, all depends on how you're driving. In Sport and especially Sport +, yes it definitely shifts harder, but it's also expecting you to be in that mode to drive a little harder. Go somewhere secluded, put it in sport + and floor it. You will see how smooth and quick it shifts. At least that's been my experience.
Agreed. The mode you put it in should match on how you plan to drive. If you continually drive in sport+ In daily busy traffic conditions the adaptive learning will eventually alter or soften the sport+ mode. Match the mode to your style.
Sponsored