Sponsored

10 Speed Auto or 6 Speed Manual, what say you?

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
+1 for man pedal...

...I don’t give a flying hoot if it’s 3 seconds quicker, full stop.

[\thread]
My dude said man pedal and flying hoot in the same sentence. :cwl: In all seriousness I’m glad they make a transmission with a (MAN PEDAL) for you guys @ girls who enjoy it.
Sponsored

RonsterGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
‘22 5.0 GT/‘16 F150 XLT/‘21 Explorer Platinum
Is there a way to do the calibration for the A10 without the CAI? The CAI is not legal in my race class.
That’s a good question, but above my knowledge level. The “tune” is downloaded ftom Ford Performance via a ProScan 4. I don’t know how you could seperate the engine and tranny tunes.
Maybe you could install the included larger throttle body and adapter, load the tune, and use the stock airbox with a high flow filter? Just a shot in the dark...

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
For me, the question is are you after all out power and speed or do you simply enjoy the extra involvement a manual brings willing to sacrifice some performance for that enjoyment. I guess manual guys have been lucky all these years. It has only been since 2018 that an auto has been on top in a Mustang. They never had to make that choice.

When the time comes, if it ever does, will you choose to be slower just to have some desirable trait or will you simply be chasing speed?

I prefer driving to be fun even when the velocity is constant. An auto , for me, would only be fun while I have that 'pushed into the seat' feeling. Unfortunately, that feeling is over within a few seconds in daily driving. A manual is fun to me all the time. Every turn, every acceleration and every deceleration. Even in traffic, I make driving a manual a game seeing how far I can go without shifting. On days where I cannot drive fast, I make it a game to see how smoothly I can shift. Others, I enjoy working on double clutching even though there is no real need to do it or I work on heel toe coordination. All of these things endear me to a manual. A manual also makes you work for your dinner. It is not a forgone conclusion that you mash the pedal and the spec sheets declare the winner even before you have left the line. In a manual, so much can happen that the winner can swap between the cars at the line.

Accelerating fast is fun but gets old eventually. Also, you cannot always accelerate fast. I find more to a car than just that. In a manual, there is all those things which is what makes an auto boring for those that enjoy those activities. This is just my sentiment. Yours could differ and that is fine too.

I always am curious, does getting beaten by a Tesla sedan make you angry or all those other cars that are faster than the GT A10? Will you be modifying the car to beat them? At what point to do simply accept that someone is always faster than you and just enjoy the car?

Will a car that is slower be less enjoyable to you?

What happens when you find a car that is finally too fast? Will you stop buying cars or will some other metric turn your fancy? If that happens, you might relate more to a manual guy since, for many, the Mustang is already fast enough and they want something besides going fast.

Soon, electrics will take the V8 sound and the feeling of shifting from the driving experience. I am curious if you will enjoy mashing the potentiometer hearing next to nothing, feeling a single kick and then no shifting of gears if that will make you long for the V8 A10? Then again, the rest of the driving experience will be the same as an auto. At least you will once again be the fastest on the road but to get there, the character of a Mustang will have all been gone. It will still be a sports coupe, 2+2 and it will go fast but there, at least to me, was so much more to a Mustang than those few metrics. The sound of a V8, the simplicity of a manual and the feeling of driving a car and being one with it will be lost. I think most will long even for the automatic. There is still some thrill to feeling a car shift. I say this because no one wants a CVT and the manufacturer had to put in fake shift points into the CVT to make the experience more enjoyable. If you hate a CVT, I cannot wait what you will say when the electrics take over.

Yes, the A10 is fun but it has taken a chip out of the soul of the car for many who love it. Not all, but for some it has. For many, the manual Mustang has more soul. I think we will all feel the soul chipped away a ton when the V8 is gone regardless of the transmission.

Either way, I hope you enjoy your car for a long time to come.

Sponsored

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
Drove manual transmissions mostly for over 60 years and there really is no place to enjoy them around here any more. I do miss it occasionally, but not enough to go back. The modern automatics are so much more entertaining with all those modes. I predict the ZF 8 speed auto (or next version) will replace dual clutch transmissions before long. Jaguar and BMW switched to it. It is as good as any dual clutch transmission I have driven and a lot less complex.

Even if I didn't prefer the automatic, there is no way I'd buy that Chinese manual.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
I would have never believed the hype until I bought my '19 F150 with the 5.0/A10. I have drank the kool-aid, and it is good.

Add in my sometimes on, sometimes off clutch knee, I can see the appeal in a Mustang.

WhiteyDog

WOOF!!!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT PP
I don't have anything against an A10 or who prefers them. Actually, I've never driven one. To me, having the windows down and listening to the headers and exhaust when I shift and the way it feels is like having sex while drinking a rum and coke and a second hot chick sprinkling $100 bills on us. At least in my F'ed up world, anyway.

derklink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach 1
I'm glad we all still have the option to choose. To me, with the ever-growing abundance of look-alike, boring, and soulless vehicles, an affordable and beautifully designed, RWD V8 coupe with a manual is a real treat.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Is there a way to do the calibration for the A10 without the CAI? The CAI is not legal in my race class.
I was the FP chat line with one of their techs and he did say there is talk about doing another level Power Pack with just the tune and no CAI (ala the Power Pack 1 from the Gen 2). No confirmation yet of timeline or even if it's going to happen, but that's what you would need to wait for if your class doesn't allow the CAI.

However though, the CAI used is an OEM unit, just not what came with the car but it's still a Mustang part. Would that not work for you?

Sponsored

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6

shampoo-is-better.png

Deleted member 35644

If I was shopping for a Mustang today, it'd be a manual. At 5/10 or above, the A10 is a masterpiece. Crisp shifts, always in the power band, almost telepathic downshifts. Mine was just never happy cruising on the freeway or dealing with the commute stop & go. Rough and un-refined. Got a little better after the re-flash, but was never cured. Getting back into a Focus ST reminded me how much I love the manual experience.

Roger Blose

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 1988 Mustang GT, 2009 Lincoln MKZ
If Ford had put the Tremec 6 speed in the Mustang GT from the beginning, more folks would have bought it. The Chinese Getrag is not well received and the word is out. The A10 is so good and makes the GT faster than the GT350. And Ford throws in the terrific remote start feature as a bonus. Drive the A10 in sport + mode and you will never look back. Paddle shifters, rev matching down shifts, manual shifting override, and remote starting all seal the deal.

RonsterGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
‘22 5.0 GT/‘16 F150 XLT/‘21 Explorer Platinum
I would have never believed the hype until I bought my '19 F150 with the 5.0/A10. I have drank the kool-aid, and it is good.

Add in my sometimes on, sometimes off clutch knee, I can see the appeal in a Mustang.
Clutch knee - exactly why I sold my '16 5.0 GT.

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
Drove both and while the A10 is great, I prefer manual. A co worker got an EB with the A10 and when I give him a ride he says "I bet its more fun with the stick though". To each their own, I'm completely sure I would also be happy if I had the A10.
Sponsored