Sponsored

10 Questions from a New GT350R Owner

lightrules

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
Buying a 2018 GT350R today. Been thinking about the following. Please note the car will mostly be street-driven around so-Cal throughout the year with relatively low mileage annually and kept for a long time (that's the plan). Hopefully this will help others in the same boat. Appreciate the input!

1) Is buying an ESP and/or Maintenance Plan worth it?

2) Must the car be towed only by a flat-bed?

3) Do locking lug nuts for the wheels come with the purchase? If not, please link a good set.

4) What tire PSI (cold) should I keep the Cup 2's at for longest treadwear?

5) What are the cheapest and best-looking wheels for a 2nd set, street-use?

6) Where do you get tires changed for the carbon wheels? (Worried about 18 year old at Discount Tires messing them up)

7) Any reason not to get oil separators on both sides? JLT or Ford Performance?

8) Are rock blockers behind the front tires a no-brainer?

9) First oil change at what mileage?

10) What other things should be done (or bought) during the 1st week of ownership?
Sponsored

JR369

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Iconic
1. I bought the tire/wheel replacement that included Key FOB replacement
2. Yes
3. No. At least not with mine
4. Recommended PSI on the door jam sticker mine is sitting at ~35
5. Still trying to learn more about the Vibe Forged Monos. They are not cheap tho. Project6G spun forged are much cheaper but the longer studs on the R front wheels stick out. Vibes do not and you can use EOM lug nits.
6. I dunno
7. I haven't installed an oil separator yet. have 380 miles on it. Obviously no oil usage.
8. Yes imo. My car is black. Chips will show more. Have ZL1 deluxe GT350R on the way.
9. I was going to 1000 miles before I change to Amsoil 5w 50.
10. Black is a pita to keep clean and easily swirls the paint. I have an appointment to get the car paint corrected, polished, ceramic coated this week. Not sure if I will ceramic coat the wheels. I need advice an opinions on the CF wheels for this.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Buying a 2018 GT350R today. Been thinking about the following. Please note the car will mostly be street-driven around so-Cal throughout the year with relatively low mileage annually and kept for a long time (that's the plan). Hopefully this will help others in the same boat. Appreciate the input!

Ask 5 people, you'll get 5 answers.

I would. But why? Are you going to cars and coffee right away or...? Jk. Yes, ideally flatbed but it's not a requirement.

3) Do locking lug nuts for the wheels come with the purchase? If not, please link a good set.
No. Gorilla is perfectly fine but some will be adamant that you need to spend hundreds on titanium lugs because of weight savings. Really? Hundreds of dollars over 2lbs? And the weight is very close to the center of rotation of the wheel.

Longevity and Cup 2's should never be used in the same sentence. Regardless, expect no more than 5,000 miles out of them but give or take. It just is what it is. Leave them at factory recommended inflation.

Ask 5 people, you'll get 5 answers. MRR and Forgestar all of reasonable offerings.

6) Where do you get tires changed for the carbon wheels? (Worried about 18 year old at Discount Tires messing them up)
Just go to the dealership and if they boink it up, you're working directly with who's going to be liable.

Passenger side is where most blow by happens.

I don't have them and have zero plans to. I DD and track my car.

3 - 5K. Whatever.

10) What other things should be done (or bought) during the 1st week of ownership?
Drive it like you stole it. Break in period...lol. What a joke.
EDIT: And BED. YOUR. BRAKES. IN.

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)

Based on your R being street driven mostly along with putting on relatively low miles annually I would be more than comfortable with the factory warranty and no ESP.

2) Must the car be towed only by a flat-bed? If you are talking long haul transport from a Ford dealership to your home then obviously an enclosed car carrier is essential and even locally I would recommend an enclosed single car trailer. I have used roll backs on local moves numerous times but much prefer a single enclosed car trailer if possible.

3) Do locking lug nuts for the wheels come with the purchase? If not, please link a good set. No and the ones I have seen look very ugly IMO therefore I choose never to use them on any of my cars.

4) What tire PSI (cold) should I keep the Cup 2's at for longest treadwear? Can't recall what the tire pressure recommendation on the door jamb is but probably around ~35 PSI therefore stay with factory recommendations.

5) What are the cheapest and best-looking wheels for a 2nd set, street-use? Don't know as quite happy to run the CF wheels on the street.

6) Where do you get tires changed for the carbon wheels? (Worried about 18 year old at Discount Tires messing them up) Suggest that you make numerous phone calls and look for recommendations from local car enthusiasts in your area after which time your need to meet with the owner/senior manager of the tire shop explaining your concerns and making sure that they choose the best person that they have at their shop to do the work.

7) Any reason not to get oil separators on both sides? JLT or Ford Performance? Since I don't track any of my cars anymore I do not install oil separators on them but most of my car buddies that do track their cars have them installed and very happy with them.

8) Are rock blockers behind the front tires a no-brainer? From my standpoint they are a no-brainer as like everyone else I hate having small stones/pebbles sitting right behind the front tires.

9) First oil change at what mileage? With oil changes being the cheapest way to maintain a car especially with these high strung FPC engines I personally would not go much beyond ~1000 miles and of course that is coming from an old school guy that has done it that way for many years, right or wrong.

1. Check to make sure that the polyurethane shipping blocks have been removed from the front and rear suspension.
2. When cleaning the windshield on the drivers side make sure to not lift up the wiper blade all the way into the leading edge of the hood which obviously will remove paint from the aluminum hood.
3. Request a second window sticker from your dealership as most can get an extra one for free as always nice to have a second window sticker for resale or whatever.
4. Since we have bumper to bumper warranties do an in depth check on bumper gaps, acid rain or any paint blemishes, small paint chips, etc. and if any noticed get back to the dealership for any paint corrections, etc.
5. Arrange for the Ford Track Attack event sometime down the road.
6. With some of these FPC engines going through more oil than expected keep a close watch on the dip stick and you might initially want to set up a log of your oil consumption or lack thereof and hopefully like most of us this will not be an issue.
7. Check your CF wheels closely as my 2018 had a small nick on the front passenger wheel which probably happened during transportation and getting it replaced.

Most of all have fun with your great car and once broken in don't be adverse to taking the engine up to 8250 RPM as that is something to behold as most here all know!

:like:

Sponsored

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350

I can't stand locking lug nuts. Hate dealing with them and hate the way they look, so I roll the dice. I don't have an R, but yes, my sentiments would be the same if I did.

Don't know about cheapest, but you will not find a better looking, lighter, better made, more accurate replica than the Vibe. They are quality kit. Do not go cheap on this car sir; it'll show.

No reason to spend money on the drivers side unless you're a track rat. I've never seen anyone collect anything, not even mist, on the street. It's not even cheap insurance, it's a waste of money for a street car.

I say yes.

I did ~1,200. Amsoil. Will do oil analysis from here on out to determine (with no track use)

Like nastang said...drive it like you stole it! Yes, during the 1st week of ownership.

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated

'bout time you get this. You have been saying for days that you were "getting one today" in more than one thread. As you implied, you are getting the $64,999 special on sale. I am jealous, as I am sure a couple of other people are too for getting such a good deal. I will give you $65,100 for it.

OP
OP
lightrules

lightrules

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
'bout time you get this. You have been saying for days that you were "getting one today" in more than one thread. As you implied, you are getting the $64,999 special on sale. I am jealous, as I am sure a couple of other people are too for getting such a good deal. I will give you $65,100 for it.
paid in full 1 hr ago.

thanks for the tips, folks. pls keep them comin.

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated
paid in full 1 hr ago.

thanks for the tips, folks. pls keep them comin.
Congrats. At least don't redline it for 100 miles. But basically, break it in like you are going to drive it. Don't baby it, but slowly bring her up to speed. I know there are a ton of other things to think about during breakin, but remember, it is against the law in at least 3 states to not enjoy a car like that.

Sponsored

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated

Hawkspring

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Darrin
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 2017F450
10) Consider getting the car cleaned, clayed, polished, and ceramic coated as soon as possible. The cost is all in the prep/polish and removal of imperfections so the sooner you do it the cheaper it will be. I had quotes around $1300. I decided to do my own and spent $400 at autogeek to get the supplies and tools. In my case the car is white and I have done a lot of detailing in the past so I feel confident.

Paint protection film up front is a good idea as well. My 2009 GT500 was black and I waited too long to apply ppf. Hit a sand storm on the I8 between San Diego and Phoenix and pitted the front.

Alot of folks jump right into warranty/maintenance plans, but you have 12 months to commit to that. I would take care of the paint stuff first. Flood ford online has the cheapest maintenance and warranty prices. Bought both on my 2017 F450 through them.

OP
OP
lightrules

lightrules

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
are the steeda lite jacking rails a direct , easy bolt on for the R? any drilling required? or is there another set that works better. looking for ease of installation.

also anyone using the zl1 addons splitter guard washers? easy also install?

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated
Any thoughts on AC Delco 5w50 full synthetic oil? How does it compare to Motorcraft and Amsoil?
ACDelco for performance oils is Mobil 1. ConocoPhillips makes Motorcraft. There are a lot of better oils then Motorcraft.
Sponsored