10 quarts oil still not full on dipstick

nick20s

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stangfan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 10R80 201A
After adding 10 quarts of oil, my dipstick still won’t read as full. It is 1/4 th below the indentations even when warm. Should I add 11 quarts instead? Thanks!
Sponsored

CS19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
When new, the oil was on the top line "Full". After the 10 quart oil change, the oil was a little below that. I bought another quart and added about 8 ounces to bring it up the the full line.

OP
OP
nick20s

nick20s

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stangfan
Vehicle(s)
When new, the oil was on the top line "Full". After the 10 quart oil change, the oil was a little below that. I bought another quart and added about 8 ounces to bring it up the the full line.
Interesting! Thanks. I will add 8 oz and check the level again.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
After adding 10 quarts of oil, my dipstick still won’t read as full. It is 1/4 th below the indentations even when warm. Should I add 11 quarts instead? Thanks!
I always end up with below full after putting in 10 quarts. I think the true capacity to full is slightly more - which stinks since you need a little more oil than two 5 quart jugs.

CS19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
It's quite possible that the 10 qts is correctly full and that the factory put 10 qts in and added 8 oz of anti scuff break in additive. Honestly, the 10 quarts is fine, I'm just a little compulsive. LOL.

Sponsored

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
10 quarts is what this engine needs.

I have read many time that engines would much rather be a quart down than an oz over. I expect that is why ford left this extra space. Many places drain oil for limited tIme, shove plug back in and drop in ten quarts, then check it meets the marks. Overfilling is a real risk it oil is left in the car.

Overfilling is much worst than under filling.

I expect perfection on the board in this aspect I just wanted to frame fords mindset in putting extra capacity to the full line.

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
The owners manual shows that anywhere between the marks is ok, and to add oil if the level is at the lower mark. Seems ok to me.

Twizzty

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bones
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro 1SS 1LE MT
Vehicle Showcase
It's so you can add Ceratec and not overfill...

Last edited:

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
10 quarts is what this engine needs.

I have read many time that engines would much rather be a quart down than an oz over. I expect that is why ford left this extra space. Many places drain oil for limited tIme, shove plug back in and drop in ten quarts, then check it meets the marks. Overfilling is a real risk it oil is left in the car.

Overfilling is much worst than under filling.
If overfilling was that bad (which btw it isn't) then Ford would not have left that extra space, because it is open for interpretation and people would add extra oil and it would still be within the recommended zone. Ford would have put a HARD stop line, but since they didn't and even if you add another half quart and it's still within Ford's recommendation on the dipstick should tell you even Ford does not believe overfilling is bad.

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
If overfilling was that bad (which btw it isn't) then Ford would not have left that extra space, because it is open for interpretation and people would add extra oil and it would still be within the recommended zone. Ford would have put a HARD stop line, but since they didn't and even if you add another half quart and it's still within Ford's recommendation on the dipstick should tell you even Ford does not believe overfilling is bad.
Ford lives in the real world. The world that most oil changes are done in 15 mins or less at your local quick lube. Under-draining and over filling happen. Hard lines sound nice but good engineering is a better solution.

I didn’t say how bad overfilling is because it’s open to interpretation.

I will say splashing oil on the bottom of the crank leads to bubbles. Ford spent a lot of time and effort on pan baffles and scrappers for this reason among others. Bubble destroy the lubricating properties of oil due to displacement. A quart low won’t cause this problem. To much will. Like I said how much is open to debate.

Sponsored

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
It’s 10 quarts, your engine is 10, mine is 10, all 18+ are 10 quarts.. ford didn’t make a special 10.2 or 10.5 or 10.8 or 9.7 they are all 10. There may be a small volume change in manufacturing parts, but it’s still 10 quarts. You’ll have a bigger variable at the dip stick tube and dip stick itself that may only count for a mm if that.... in the end it’s 10 quarts. Change it, fill it, start it, warm it up, then after 15 mins measure, and that’s the level your particular car will read.

pits not going to hurt anything adding that extra few oz. but you don’t have to.

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
It’s 10 quarts, your engine is 10, mine is 10, all 18+ are 10 quarts.. ford didn’t make a special 10.2 or 10.5 or 10.8 or 9.7 they are all 10. There may be a small volume change in manufacturing parts, but it’s still 10 quarts. You’ll have a bigger variable at the dip stick tube and dip stick itself that may only count for a mm if that.... in the end it’s 10 quarts. Change it, fill it, start it, warm it up, then after 15 mins measure, and that’s the level your particular car will read.

pits not going to hurt anything adding that extra few oz. but you don’t have to.
I drained it, put in 10 quarts, checked the dipstick and it was between the marks. Done! :)
But mine is actually a 10.005 qt engine...

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
Is the capacity 10 qts + filter capacity? That could explain needing a little more. Mine takes 8 qts exactly, but I add oil to the filer before installing. I never install a filter dry.

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
Is the capacity 10 qts + filter capacity? That could explain needing a little more. Mine takes 8 qts exactly, but I add oil to the filer before installing. I never install a filter dry.
10 with filter change. I fill my new filter up also.

OP
OP
nick20s

nick20s

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stangfan
Vehicle(s)
I’m OCD about it too. I added 16 oz and
it touches the max level when cold. I also confirmed with Scotty Kilmer and he said this is the right way.
Sponsored