Sponsored

The01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
8 hours šŸ˜‚ wow thatā€™s just a bit dramatic..

According to the article, the 5-95% SOC session took about 52 minutes. As MotorTrendprovides only a handful of data points, we did our best to estimate the time.

The estimated time from 20% to 80% SOC is about 27 minutes. Starting at 10% SOC would require 29 minutes.

Tesla says that 15 minutes should be enough to replenish 187 miles (301 km) of range and the data indicates very close results in narrow optimum charging window

so get supercharged station which plenty in Florida, you can get just under 200 miles in 15 min of charge as if the near 400 miles you can get on a full charge isnā€™t enough for daily commute such as driving to Atlanta from Orlando 6-7hr drive given traffic and best of all

no excuses of attitude and DA like all these slow car slob generation complaining about everything but themselves driving and setting up the car.
Sponsored

Last edited:

LOL WUT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 GT
According to the article, the 5-95% SOC session took about 52 minutes. As MotorTrendprovides only a handful of data points, we did our best to estimate the time.

The estimated time from 20% to 80% SOC is about 27 minutes. Starting at 10% SOC would require 29 minutes.

Tesla says that 15 minutes should be enough to replenish 187 miles (301 km) of range and the data indicates very close results in narrow optimum charging window
As a former model S owner Iā€™m well aware of the capabilities.

I always find it really comical when people say EVs are lame due to the charging aspect and ā€œscarcity of chargersā€. It usually just comes down to being uneducated about them.

But I get it, EVs are not for everyone.

Garfy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT, 2012 Honda Fit Sport
ā€œRoll racingā€ is a new thing at drag strips. Much easier on the clutch/tires and the rest of the driveline.
Wonder why NHRA doesn't use that for TF & FC?

Garfy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
Well. I own a ā€˜20 GT500 myself and dislike electric cars in general so you wonā€™t hear a disagreement from me.
Yep, I'm still waiting for someone to do a race between a stock Mustang GT and a Tesla S with 2-man teams (for 24 hour racing) going from NYC to LA. Which one would win? I suspect the GT because refuel/recharge time is much faster on the GT than the Tesla, even if they use a Supercharger station.

lightrules

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
At Laguna Seca, people timed the Model S Plaids doing 1:29.9-1:32.6.

Randy Pobst drove a GT500 to a 1:33.8.

The Red Model S that did 1:29.9 had active aero, but the black one seemed pretty close to normal production.
pobst ran the plaid S yesterday at laguna seca @ 1:28.2. he did the gt2rs @ 1:28.3 and the senna @ 1:27.6. note that the plaid S had upgraded aero, brakes, and was gutted inside.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a37197895/tesla-model-s-plaid-laguna-seca-record

Sponsored

Garfy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
Electric is going to win the power wars very soon. It is what it isā€¦

Some of you older members will remember the AFX HO slot carsā€¦? Made you dizzy to watch how fast they went. Lolā€¦
True for slot cars which had an abundance of energy (transformer plugged into wall outlet; EVs don't). If you've ever used a battery powered tool (weed trimmer, drill, circular saw, etc.) you know that once the battery discharges enough, say half charge, the power drops dramatically as the battery can no longer deliver the amount of current needed for maximum torque. As it gets down to 1/4 charge or less, it really falls on its face and must be recharged soon. Same with EVs; the published power and acceleration specs are based on a fully charged EV pack. With ICE cars, they run slowest with a full tank of gas; at 1/4 tank it actually runs a bit faster due to being lighter.

Garfy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
You're being too literal. I don't think you really believe someone is saying soul meaning a gas powered car is alive. I think really you understand, and you have no answer for it, so you choose to pretend you don't understand.

People turn off the radio in their car because they prefer to hear the sound of a gas engine. This is not an uncommon thing. I shouldn't have to tell you this.

The radio, artificial engine noises from car's speakers - none of that stuff compares to the enjoyment people get from listening to a really well built piece of machinery making power.

I'm sure riding fast in a Tesla can be thrilling. But the radio is a poor substitute for the sound of an ICE at full song.

I think Ford's advertising budget for the Mach E is quite large. I noticed there has been an awful lot of coverage for the Mach E in the automotive press. One show I watch that usually has different vehicles every time featured the Mach E on three episodes in a row. Maybe I'm too cynical of a person, but I doubt whether C&D best of the year is proof that I would prefer the Mach E over a Tesla. If I were in the market for an EV, I would do my research rather than trust this.
Frankly, if I lived on the mainland where electricity is cheaper (ours is 300% higher) I might opt for the F-150 Lightning (if I had an enclosed garage large enough to park one) due to the practicality of it and the range (300 miles with the extended range battery). Fully charged it's got more power/torque than my Mustang though it's slower due to it's much heavier weight. Also, having 9.5 KwH of power for my house if there's a power outage is a nice touch. I'd probably miss the nice rumble of the Coyote though.

Garfy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
But the GT500 can refuel and be ready to go again in 5 minutes. While the Telsa will be ready to go again in 8 hours. Plus the GT500 will be much faster on a road course.

The last road course test I saw of a Tesla (at VIR Grand), the car the car overheated and started pulling power halfway through lap 1.
Actually the Tesla can recharge in about an hour with a Tesla Supercharger station. It would still have to play catch-up against the GT500 or even a plain old GT.

LOL WUT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 GT
Actually the Tesla can recharge in about an hour with a Tesla Supercharger station. It would still have to play catch-up against the GT500 or even a plain old GT.
The new Teslaā€™s can charge far quicker than 1 hour.

stanger1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2013 Shelby GT500-Sold, 2017 Roush RS3
So several things come to mine with the Tesla vs Laguna Seca lap times.
So a 1,000+ hp Modified Tesla vs a Stock 700 hp Porsche 911 GT2 and it was just barely faster a round the track. Wow.
How about on lap 5? lap 10?
Plus, changing gears here. Pun intended.
When I go out for a drive, for fun, vacation, etc. The idea is to get away from things. I don't want to have to reply on a computer telling me I have to go here or there to " Recharge"
Small town America will not have places to Recharge your Appliance, but I can find Gas dam near everywhere.
Some people can and will deal with that, but I don't want to have to go somewhere and find out , Oh, no charging stations within XXX miles, but Gas is down at Bill and Marys Corner Store.
Loosing more Freedom everyday.

Sponsored

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
The new Teslaā€™s can charge far quicker than 1 hour.
When an EV sets the cannonball record, I'll seriously consider one. Until then, I don't want the hassle.

Kennysum1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Alfa Romeo Quadraflio, 2018 TT GT Prem, 22 GT
So several things come to mine with the Tesla vs Laguna Seca lap times.
So a 1,000+ hp Modified Tesla vs a Stock 700 hp Porsche 911 GT2 and it was just barely faster a round the track. Wow.
How about on lap 5? lap 10?
Plus, changing gears here. Pun intended.
When I go out for a drive, for fun, vacation, etc. The idea is to get away from things. I don't want to have to reply on a computer telling me I have to go here or there to " Recharge"
Small town America will not have places to Recharge your Appliance, but I can find Gas dam near everywhere.
Some people can and will deal with that, but I don't want to have to go somewhere and find out , Oh, no charging stations within XXX miles, but Gas is down at Bill and Marys Corner Store.
Loosing more Freedom everyday.
Lol if you do not have to deal with some of the same issues then your car is probably slow and you do not even have to worry about it.

Hell my Mustang on a full tank of E85 is only going about 110-120 miles. Then I have to find another E-85 station and either test the E-85 or hope it has good ethanol. Less miles obviously if I drive the shit out of it.

I do not just buy gas anywhere either. Bill and Marys rink a dink ass corner store can keep their gas.

Nothing wrong with EVs. Change is not bad it is just a part of life. I do agree with a lot of people here that the rumble/sound and feel of a ICE car is not replicable. So I have ICE cars it is what I want.

But lets not pretend that the ultra high performance cars that can match the times of EVs do not have their own set of issues.

stanger1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2013 Shelby GT500-Sold, 2017 Roush RS3
Well,
If a 2017 Roush RS3 at 727 hp is slow, then so be it. It is what it is.
This would just be one of 4 Gas vehicles that I have.
I have not made the switch to E85 as availability is an issue and reduces the miles you can go on a tank of fuel.
I do need at least 91 octane, but always have a can of Boostane, just for what if.
I know this conversation will never end. I like what I like, others, like what they like.
I will not switch to an EV until there is no choice, but I will not choose an EV when there are still Coyote"s, Hemi's, LS's, etc out there.

The01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Well,
If a 2017 Roush RS3 at 727 hp is slow, then so be it. It is what it is.
This would just be one of 4 Gas vehicles that I have.
I have not made the switch to E85 as availability is an issue and reduces the miles you can go on a tank of fuel.
I do need at least 91 octane, but always have a can of Boostane, just for what if.
I know this conversation will never end. I like what I like, others, like what they like.
I will not switch to an EV until there is no choice, but I will not choose an EV when there are still Coyote"s, Hemi's, LS's, etc out there.
Yes a Stage 3 roush is slow idc if itā€™s 725 crank or wheel horsepower. Dyno #s are Ego #s because 90% of the people on here canā€™t properly set up suspension but rather make more power to offset and e85 ainā€™t making it fast so as I said thereā€™s not many ppl here who own fast cars. As for this ā€œboostaneā€ once again people not setting up their cars properly. Stop being cheap and get a few gallons of something premium and use it as a mix rather than rely on that stuff to foul out your plugs. Anyone else comparing a GT2/GT3 RS being over 200k if not closer to 3 spending options, itā€™s a purpose built track vehicle and for a tank of a Tesla to not only perform in the 1/4 and then around a track on par with such vehicles also including Viper ACR, Performante, McLarensā€¦to be in denial about its track #s is just being ignorant. For me, looking into purchasing a 570S or Huracan has been mainly for the craftsmanship and the engine noise as they are slow in stock form but itā€™s becoming apparent this EV is the new thing and would like to see this new corvette. Once again having 4 cars I can set aside a gas vehicle for 1 full EV and why not do something like a Plaid since the GT500 just doesnā€™t seem impressive anymore considering the mark up from dealers and have built enough vehicles. Just another 15-17 mustang with better motor and premium asking price. Just isnā€™t worth over 100k at 80ish maybe but even then still not entirely sold. Iā€™ll stick with a built twin set up for going quicker than 9s and try dipping into the 7s but come across a Plaid on the street and Iā€™ll get handed unless itā€™s roll racing which I donā€™t care for all those non driving people who prefer it.
Sponsored

Last edited: