Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Both the Mustang and a Tesla are machines. Neither has a soul, that's a projection or personification.

I've been in a Tesla being driven hard in a motorsports event. It was a thrilling experience. Its a different car but its not missing some 'core' essence. If you can ride shotgun in one and not crack a smile, you're the one missing a soul. If you find the auditory experience lacking, play the radio.
You're being too literal. I don't think you really believe someone is saying soul meaning a gas powered car is alive. I think really you understand, and you have no answer for it, so you choose to pretend you don't understand.

People turn off the radio in their car because they prefer to hear the sound of a gas engine. This is not an uncommon thing. I shouldn't have to tell you this.

The radio, artificial engine noises from car's speakers - none of that stuff compares to the enjoyment people get from listening to a really well built piece of machinery making power.

I'm sure riding fast in a Tesla can be thrilling. But the radio is a poor substitute for the sound of an ICE at full song.

You should read the Car and Drivers Best EV of the Year. They evaluated 11 EVs to include 3 Tesla’s. The Ford Mach E won and the Tesla’s finished last (mostly due to their poor quality).
I think Ford's advertising budget for the Mach E is quite large. I noticed there has been an awful lot of coverage for the Mach E in the automotive press. One show I watch that usually has different vehicles every time featured the Mach E on three episodes in a row. Maybe I'm too cynical of a person, but I doubt whether C&D best of the year is proof that I would prefer the Mach E over a Tesla. If I were in the market for an EV, I would do my research rather than trust this.
Sponsored

Blwnsmoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
It’s not just the sounds either, it’s all the vibrations and rumbles that go through your body with an ICE car especially a manual.
100%. The reckless and pops of my exhaust when changing the gears, bouncing off walls and while going down hill off throttle is so intoxicating.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
I'm actually looking forward to cooler weather so the windows can be down. With the current oppressive heat, all you can tolerate is a few seconds with them down so I save those for a local road I frequent that has nearly continuous privacy fence at the sidewalk for about 1720. Perfect acoustics. <smile> No EV "simulated" sound can ever even begin to compete IMHO.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
People turn off the radio in their car because they prefer to hear the sound of a gas engine. This is not an uncommon thing. I shouldn't have to tell you this.

The radio, artificial engine noises from car's speakers - none of that stuff compares to the enjoyment people get from listening to a really well built piece of machinery making power.

I'm sure riding fast in a Tesla can be thrilling. But the radio is a poor substitute for the sound of an ICE at full song.
I can count on one hand (and not using all the fingers) how many times I've had the sound system turned on in my S550. Twice I believe, once just to make sure it works and once to hear how well a CD sounded.

It's not what I bought and use the car for, and I wish I could have ordered it radio delete.

Sponsored

stanger1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2013 Shelby GT500-Sold, 2017 Roush RS3
I do not care what an EV can do, will do, etc. I have no desire for this. Yes, I raced Slot Cars when I was younger and they were just that, Slot Cars.
Just like others have said, and any Real Gear Head understands, it's all that goes along with an ICE. Sights, Sounds, vibrations, Pops, Smells.
The ability to change and modify to make Louder, faster. Cams, Gears, Exhausts, tunes.
An EV will never allow this overall experience.
An EV, you get in and drive to work, where ever.
It is taken away an big part of Americana.
I have seen the video of the Ford EV Cobra Jet.
Fast, Yes, Thrilling or Exciting? NO!

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F56, R55
Tesla is a one trick pony, and only from a dig.
Nope, not anymore.

Test: 60-130mph

2011 Ferrari F1: ~2.6s (purely for reference, current F1 cars are much faster even, but I can't find data).

2021 Rimac Nevera: 3.39s Lol WTF BBQ, I guess sets a target for the future Roadster to beat

2021 Bugatti Chiron Sport: 4.1s (I don't think we'll see a pure ICE production car exceeding this ever again).

2021 McLaren 765LT (ECU tune): 4.16s (only non-stock car on this list, but the modification is minimal and only shows how much McLaren sandbagged their turbo cars like usual).

2021 Tesla Plaid Model S: 4.71s

2021 McLaren 765LT (stock): 4.76s

2013 McLaren P1: 4.8s (this was mind bogglingly fast when it came out 8 years ago)

2021 Ferrari SF90: 4.97s

2013 Ferrari LaFerrari: 5s

2017 McLaren 720S: 5.37s (for a mainstream supercar, this was a performance landmark when it first came out 4 years ago)

2020 Ferrari F8: 6.21s

2021 Porsche 992 911 Turbo S: 6.7s

2019 Porsche Taycan Turbo S: 8.1s (the previous king of production EVs)

2020 Tesla Model S Performance (Raven): 9.4s (This is why people called the old Model S a one trick pony of 0-60. It wasn't competitive against actual ICE performance cars back then).
And that's ignoring that they're clearly pretty strong on a road course, now, too.

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Yeah a 1000hp GT500 won't do 20 minutes either. Out of gas, maybe overheating.
But the GT500 can refuel and be ready to go again in 5 minutes. While the Telsa will be ready to go again in 8 hours. Plus the GT500 will be much faster on a road course.

The last road course test I saw of a Tesla (at VIR Grand), the car the car overheated and started pulling power halfway through lap 1.

RDM0912

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
Multiple Fords
Both the Mustang and a Tesla are machines. Neither has a soul, that's a projection or personification.

I've been in a Tesla being driven hard in a motorsports event. It was a thrilling experience. Its a different car but its not missing some 'core' essence. If you can ride shotgun in one and not crack a smile, you're the one missing a soul. If you find the auditory experience lacking, play the radio.
Tesla’s are lame!

Sponsored

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F56, R55
But the GT500 can refuel and be ready to go again in 5 minutes. While the Telsa will be ready to go again in 8 hours.
More like an hour for a full charge or ~30 mins for an 80% charge at a Supercharger.

It doesn't need 8 hours of charging to replace 20 minutes of track time, though, even on 240V.

Plus the GT500 will be much faster on a road course.
Don't count on it.

Probably depends on the track.

At Laguna Seca, people timed the Model S Plaids doing 1:29.9-1:32.6.

Randy Pobst drove a GT500 to a 1:33.8.

The Red Model S that did 1:29.9 had active aero, but the black one seemed pretty close to normal production.

The last road course test I saw of a Tesla (at VIR Grand), the car the car overheated and started pulling power halfway through lap 1.
Obviously this isn't the case anymore.

Personally, I'd be happy with either car, or preferrably both. It would be a killer 2-car combo.

wingnutt

Threads
Reaction score
MN, FL, WI, MO, KY, TN, CO, TX, CA, WA, TX again
First Name
michael
Vehicle(s)
350R avalanche gray
I do not care what an EV can do, will do, etc. I have no desire for this. Yes, I raced Slot Cars when I was younger and they were just that, Slot Cars.
Just like others have said, and any Real Gear Head understands, it's all that goes along with an ICE. Sights, Sounds, vibrations, Pops, Smells.
The ability to change and modify to make Louder, faster. Cams, Gears, Exhausts, tunes.
An EV will never allow this overall experience.
An EV, you get in and drive to work, where ever.
It is taken away an big part of Americana.
I have seen the video of the Ford EV Cobra Jet.
Fast, Yes, Thrilling or Exciting? NO!
this...times eleventy 😬👍🏼

LOL WUT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 GT
But the GT500 can refuel and be ready to go again in 5 minutes. While the Telsa will be ready to go again in 8 hours. Plus the GT500 will be much faster on a road course.

8 hours 😂 wow that’s just a bit dramatic..

The01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
GT500, just refill with fuel, which is everywhere. Tesla, find a charging station and wait around while it's charging.
Sorry, but the Tesla is a Toaster, an appliance. No Soul. No connection. I don't care how fast the Toaster is.
Now don't burn my bread.
You think the clientele owning a Tesla Plaid doesn’t own at least 2+ cars already? Do you take a 400+ mile road trip every time you drive? Can your car even make 250 miles without sweating for fuel? Don’t be a clown. Anyone who owns one has a charging station at their residence and unless you plan on road tripping the car, the chances of being stuck without the ability to charge up is next to nonexistent as the Tesla will set up the road trip based on charging stations so you would have to mess that up. There’s no denying the impressive performance and lack of driving needed to support the numbers it puts up. As far as the sound and all the noise, I can agree that there’s something about the noise of the exotic and high horsepower vehicles that’s to be desired but then you think about the 21 speaker sound system in a Tesla and I’m sure that helps ease the pain not to mention taking out your 9 second (soon to be 8s) 4 door family vehicle from the garage and the loudest noise in the garage is the opener. Most ppl on this forum do not own fast cars, will never own fast cars and never drove a fast car but they talk about what if’s all day. Sound like the Honda guy who trashes beating a turbo Gallardo with his tin can gutted heap yet that Gallardo owner probably going to park that vehicle in his own garage at a bad ass House and not some apartment complex where you have to worry about leaving your steering wheel in your Honda so no one steals it.
Sponsored