Sponsored

$1,000+ a month for new vehicles: Car payments "look more like mortgage payments"

NFG19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang GT PP1
Wow! 20% apr?!?! LOL Good luck with those payments and God forbid you miss a payment or are late with a payment. lol
Yes it was 20%+ some were even at 30% with very poor credit! plus at 96 months to boot!
Sponsored

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I have mixed feelings on that. The problem with these absurd rates is, people are willing to sign for them all day long. People either donā€™t care, or have no financial literacy and donā€™t question it. Then you have the issue of living beyond your means. The dealer is there to provide a service and canā€™t force you to do anything.

The industry I work in is sales based as well and I can tell you that those that want something the most and will do ANYTHING to get it are people with bad credit. In our case, what we sell is not anything that can ever be considered a necessity, yet people still make financial decisions like their life depends on it.

People buying new or near new cars paying a 20% interest rate should be looking at well maintained, older used vehicles. Pay cash or at least greatly minimize the financial damage if you HAVE to finance at a stupid rate. But people want the newest and flashiest thing. Had an acquaintance that bought a used BMW (about 3 years old) and put it on his credit card with a high-teens APR because his credit was trash and he wouldnā€™t qualify for a loan. I about slapped the crap out of him.

NFG19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang GT PP1
I have mixed feelings on that. The problem with these absurd rates is, people are willing to sign for them all day long. People either donā€™t care, or have no financial literacy and donā€™t question it. Then you have the issue of living beyond your means. The dealer is there to provide a service and canā€™t force you to do anything.

The industry I work in is sales based as well and I can tell you that those that want something the most and will do ANYTHING to get it are people with bad credit. In our case, what we sell is not anything that can ever be considered a necessity, yet people still make financial decisions like their life depends on it.

People buying new or near new cars paying a 20% interest rate should be looking at well maintained, older used vehicles. Pay cash or at least greatly minimize the financial damage if you HAVE to finance at a stupid rate. But people want the newest and flashiest thing. Had an acquaintance that bought a used BMW (about 3 years old) and put it on his credit card with a high-teens APR because his credit was trash and he wouldnā€™t qualify for a loan. I about slapped the crap out of him.
Damn put it on a credit card!šŸ˜³
I think itā€™s like you said they donā€™t understand how it works! I bet a lot of them think itā€™s just like a flat interest rate. They donā€™t understand APR%. I wish finance was mandatory in schools. Like start in the 4th grade! Itā€™s sooo vital to everyday life! Even teach about investing in stocks.

Sponsored

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Damn put it on a credit card!šŸ˜³
I think itā€™s like you said they donā€™t understand how it works! I bet a lot of them think itā€™s just like a flat interest rate. They donā€™t understand APR%. I wish finance was mandatory in schools. Like start in the 4th grade! Itā€™s sooo vital to everyday life! Even teach about investing in stocks.
Yeah. It truly should be a core subject thatā€™s taught from an early age forward.

I have plenty to learn myself about finances but I know I am ahead of many others, especially when I hear about stuff like in my example. Lol.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT

Low credit score = poor impulse control. Pretty much always. So it's not surprising those with the least impulse control are overextending themselves buying the new shiny.
Sponsored