Sponsored

$1,000+ a month for new vehicles: Car payments "look more like mortgage payments"

NFG19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang GT PP1
the problem is you never own property. With rare exception the local gov't has a non-revocable permanent lien on it - just like communist China. A primary residence should be excluded from tax-based extortion nation-wide but alas...
Right your house isn’t yours even if it’s paid off! Don’t pay your property tax someone can pay them and legally own it for pennies of what you paid! Don’t pay your vehicle registration then you get tickets that eventually will lead to your car being impounded and sold if you don’t pay up.
Sponsored

Mike00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Z06, Jeep Grand Cherokee, Triumph Thunderbird
I know, I go against the grain I guess. 🤦🏻‍♂️
I think I just sleep better at night knowing that I don’t owe people money.
Out of the 3 properties I own, I have mortgages on 2. My financial guidance says do not pay either one of them off, but I’m paying off our rental property here in the next few months and then will only have my primary residential mortgage left, which is hopefully paid off in another 6 years. I’m 41……so I have a ways to go…..hopefully God agrees 🤣🤣🤣🤣
We have stocks/IRA/401K’s etc - so a broad portfolio.
Nah it’s more me .When I hear Ramsey in a thread I shake my head and cringe inside. one his advice is from a time when rates on home were like 8-12% and two it’s just flat out bad advice UNLESS you are somebody who can’t control his spending.

For example he preaches CCs are bad the reality is if you pay them off every single month they ar best mode of payment possible. I run everything through my Platinum card for the points. Haven’t ever paid interest in my 38 years.

As to the properties I get it and more aligned with you. I have 4 currently (3 rental 1 primary). My original rental was first property I lived in and was an FHA loan at 3% down when I was 25. That one I paid off for similar reasons like yours. Now a days though I do 15 year on rentals with a fair ammount down. Profitable from the get go and profit roughly goes up 2.5x after they are paid off. Goal is 10-12 by 50 which is my retirement Plan on top of the 401ks.

OP
OP
Bikeman315

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
For example he preaches CCs are bad the reality is if you pay them off every single month they ar best mode of payment possible. I run everything through my Platinum card for the points. Haven’t ever paid interest in my 38 years.
If you are paying off your credit cards monthly then there are not really "credit" cards, they are charge cards. They are bad you if you are paying for your daily/monthly essentials with them and caring high balances with double digit interest.

Back at the beginning there was a charge only card. Balance had to be paid every month. could have been Diners Club or Carte Blanche. Do not remember which.

OP
OP
Bikeman315

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60

Mike00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you are paying off your credit cards monthly then there are not really "credit" cards, they are charge cards. They are bad you if you are paying for your daily/monthly essentials with them and caring high balances with double digit interest.

Back at the beginning there was a charge only card. Balance had to be paid every month. could have been Diners Club or Carte Blanche. Do not remember which.
That’s my point though. A lot of the “cult” of Ramsey followers think using it as charge card is bad. And Amex is still a charge card if you don’t activate the pay schedule. I still get emails all the time about activating that feature for a large bucket Of bonus points. Haven’t done it and doubt I ever will even for The free bonus points.

And yes in general I have an issue with Ramsay’s advice because his concept is all debt is bad. Unless you are one of those people caring high balances on credit cards - I just don’t find that accurate. That said if you have no self-control Dave is perfect for that person..

Sponsored

Mike00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prices have been starting to level out a bit. If we hit a bit of a recession maybe we will get down to MSRP regularly on all new cars. But still some months away before that possibility.

Reposssed cars and missed payments are up. As those Cars hit the marketplace of used maybe that will slow also. But the used market is so tight it’s going to be years to level out.

TundraOnKings

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
T
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT PP1 A10, '20 Armada,'15 Tundra,14' GS350F
Nah it’s more me .When I hear Ramsey in a thread I shake my head and cringe inside. one his advice is from a time when rates on home were like 8-12% and two it’s just flat out bad advice UNLESS you are somebody who can’t control his spending.

As to the properties I get it and more aligned with you. I have 4 currently (3 rental 1 primary). My original rental was first property I lived in and was an FHA loan at 3% down when I was 25. That one I paid off for similar reasons like yours. Now a days though I do 15 year on rentals with a fair ammount down. Profitable from the get go and profit roughly goes up 2.5x after they are paid off. Goal is 10-12 by 50 which is my retirement Plan on top of the 401ks.
That totally makes sense on your 8-12% for homes comment. That was many years before either of us were capable of working and owning a home I'm guessing LOL. Thankfully me, like you - had an FHA back 20 years ago on our first home purchase and interest was 4-5%. I agree with your long term retirement plan! That's what I'm working on as well. After I pay this rental off in a few months, I'll continue to save for a large down on another rental, and do it again.

We run some of the large monthly purchases through our Alaska Visa - so we can rack up free air miles, and enjoy the buy-one get-one for $99 every year. We are set to just auto-pay the balance every month so we don't every pay interest.

So I guess I'm not on a full blown Dave plan - lol.

TundraOnKings

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
T
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT PP1 A10, '20 Armada,'15 Tundra,14' GS350F
the problem is you never own property. With rare exception the local gov't has a non-revocable permanent lien on it - just like communist China. A primary residence should be excluded from tax-based extortion nation-wide but alas...
Ownership in the way of a deed, but yes, you are right. It can be taken away if you don't pay Big Brother. Which I do not believe in either.

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
I don't know how much house payments are nowadays, but they can last for 30 years, not 5 or 6.

NFG19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang GT PP1
I don't know how much house payments are nowadays, but they can last for 30 years, not 5 or 6.
I think the average is around $1300 a month. However it’s cheaper than renting in ALOT of places. The good thing about houses are typically they go up in value. Plus you have a way to make passive income renting it out.

I think most people now days go 8 years on car loans! If they take that loan to term. They are paying almost double the price on a depreciating assets!

Sponsored

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
You may want to check your math. Auto loans are still around 3% here for good credit. Not sure how you get to paying double or remotely close on a loan that runs its term. 84 months is the longest term available I’ve seen from most credit unions.

I think the average is around $1300 a month. However it’s cheaper than renting in ALOT of places. The good thing about houses are typically they go up in value. Plus you have a way to make passive income renting it out.

I think most people now days go 8 years on car loans! If they take that loan to term. They are paying almost double the price on a depreciating assets!

NFG19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang GT PP1
You may want to check your math. Auto loans are still around 3% here for good credit. Not sure how you get to paying double or remotely close on a loan that runs its term. 84 months is the longest term available
You may want to check your math. Auto loans are still around 3% here for good credit. Not sure how you get to paying double or remotely close on a loan that runs its term. 84 months is the longest term available I’ve seen from most credit unions.
Was basing that off people with subpar credit! Read somewhere people were taking out auto loans at 20%+

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
So, we just traded in my wifes 16 4runner for a 19 4runner, to get 4wd mostly, as I am selling the 250, which we use the 4wd around the property toget out mowers/tractors, pull trailers etc. we need it.

I'd run the numbers, the payment should be about 620 a month, less than it was on the 16 with the trade in.

their paperwork had it at 900 a month!!. got to looking, they had gap, and warranty, and life insurance, nad so much other shit they just expected us to take, and this was at a ford dealer. guy got all pissed when I scratched all that shit out. knocked 300 bucks a month off the payment. wtf. hell, my new mach 1 did not even cost that much!
Just went through the car buying process with the Mrs. The car was listed for $22.9 (2019 Civic with <16k). The dealer had about 7,000 in tack on warranty/care items that would’ve made it almost $30k out the door. Mind you, this car is still under warranty and they pushed hard for it. Clueless people are probably eating thousands in extra push items and services.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
I worked the last 25 years as an IT consultant, so I didn't have regular income. I had no choice but to pay for everything in cash, even my house. It certainly requires a lot of discipline and at times was really frustrating. But, I'm glad I did it now.

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
Was basing that off people with subpar credit! Read somewhere people were taking out auto loans at 20%+
Wow! 20% apr?!?! LOL Good luck with those payments and God forbid you miss a payment or are late with a payment. lol
Sponsored