Sponsored

'09 GT500KR or '19 Supercharged Bullitt?

Solarhermit

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 black/tech/handling no ADM +$10K tax
Yup, I'm not on the list for a new GT500KR with 900hp and all but I do have the opportunity to trade my low miles, all options, Whippled '19 Bullitt for a mint, black, low miles '09 GT500KR. Am I crazy to even think about it?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Solarhermit

Solarhermit

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
thanks much for your sage advice

Sponsored

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
I would not consider the ‘09. Just not going to happen UNLESS I was only looking at an investment and not actually drive the car.
YMMV.

Just my worthless opinion

noac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
A 08/09 KR with around 1-3k miles would be around 58-60 in todays market. I don’t know how much a modded Bullitt would be but I would guess a stock, similar mileage Bullitt would be around 46-48k.

noac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs

oregongt350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 HE, 1967GT Fastback S code,
Killer price right there. For those that don’t know these are pre title CSM# cars, in other words, real Shelby’s.
Bullitt

Sponsored

shelbykr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 2009 Shelby GT500KR 2008 Shelby GT-C
Stick with your Bullitt. The "S" badge is the premium what you are paying for.
You would be going back in technology. Guarantee you will hate the ride.......🐏
There is not much that was changed to be a KR for what the dealers were asking for them new. I have one.
The Roush 427R is better value as far as the extensive parts Roush changed.
I do like the Roush Black Jack, were limited numbers made.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Solarhermit

Solarhermit

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
Well, it looks like everyone is saying to stick with my Bullitt. And that's from GT500 owners! Even the owner of our local, licensed Shelby shop says to stay with the Bullitt. And now a few words on my decision but please add-on your opinion also.

I have read that the '09 GT500KR is a forgotten, limited edition car that was bought for its rarity (728 or so made) and thus its future investment potential. But then Ford basically duplicated the car with the 2010 GT500. A '09 GT500, new price of $80K USD + dealer admin costs + taxes + mark-up resulted in many selling for $85-90K. And then when the 2010 GT500s came out, the KR started to drop in price. Then the 2013/14 GT500s killed the car's investment potential for good.

And, as far as I am concerned, I don't give a hoot about future investment potential. The stock market's S&P index and even a lowly government bond have generally outperformed all but a few of the very rare exotic cars. For instance, a compounding 5% bond will double your money in about 14 years. So, to match that, buying a $90K car in 2009 would have to be worth $180K today. And let's not forget about the added costs of storage, insurance, maintenance etc. during that time. It was a nice car to look at until the S550s hit the market. Maybe a life-size poster on the wall might satisfy a craving for automotive beauty. But then, just buy a plain Jane Mustang, if that's what you desire. And you don't dare take the wrapper off of it or even drive it for fear of that proverbial $10K rock chip.

That then begs the question of buying a new GT500 CFTR HE or a new GT500KR, if you can get one.

I am 72 years old and I can't wait 14 years for a car to double in value. The market is overheated now and nothing goes in a straight line except maybe the Hellcat Redeye. Collector car prices have risen over the past 2-3 years and I expect they have a reasonable chance of falling over the next 10+ years.

Nope, I bought a slightly used Bullitt for the fun factor and some say that I ruined its resale value by bolting on a supercharger to get 800hp. Total all-in cost is under $50K USD. I could have bought a 2013/2014 GT500 for the same price but then that's more than 100hp of less fun. And, the '09 GT500KR, with a 260hp deficit, doesn't have IRS, the stunning S550 body, magneride, digital dash, active exhaust, electronics (w/BSM and GPS and touch screen and voice activated everything), rev matching, stability control, traction control (saves greatly on rear rubber) and the green paint that I absolutely love. I am sure that I have missed a few things in favor of my Bullitt but that pretty well covers it.

Now, to add another strike against the '09 GT500KR, it has 12,000 miles on it and is 10 years older than my 4,000 mile '19 Bullitt.

Yes, i guess I would be crazy to trade my 800hp Bullitt for only a 540hp '09 GT500KR. However, my wife thinks that I am really crazy when she is absolutely in love with her 2012 AWD Toyota Matrix with a whopping 160hp!

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
Killer price right there. For those that don’t know these are pre title CSM# cars, in other words, real Shelby’s.
Depends on the car. I have 2020 GT500 that I sent to SA, post title, for the Signature Edition and I would much prefer this caliber car being built by Ford Performance first, then sent to SA.

CSM# = real Shelby, regardless. Now, I am a believer of GT500 born cars being converted by SA to be the pinnacle cars produced Shelby American.

OP, if the current value of the KR is higher than the Bullitt (I think it is), I would seriously consider it. That said, they are two completely different cars. In my opinion, I would not want to go back to solid rear axle. That and the technology alone would steer me away from doing the swap.

Jaime

OP
OP
Solarhermit

Solarhermit

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
Thanks Jaime.

My measurement of value is the "fun factor" and not the "$$$factor". I am seriously looking at a 2022 GT500 CFTP HE and there is one sitting in a showroom only a few minutes away. With trade, I 'only' have to come up with $80K USD. But how could I possibly justify that car for my daily driver? I would have to hire a guard to watch over it when it is sitting in a parking lot and I am doing my grocery shopping etc.

Or, I could just go for a plain Jane '22 GT500 for $50K + trade. How much extra fun will that buy?

I have less than $50K into my Bullitt now and with double the price, I don't think it would double the fun factor.

noac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
Fun factor is subjective. At 72, being an old school guy, you will definitely appreciate the rawness, sound,, the shifter and the old school retro looks of the KR. See if you can test drive the KR. Go to YouTube and watch some videos. They have a terrific factory exhaust and whine.
Sponsored