Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Mustang December 2021 Sales & Production Highlights
  • Mustang Sales: 4,564 vehicles. Sales (YTD): 52,414 vehicles.
  • Mustang Production: 7,495 vehicles. Production (YTD): 65,590 vehicles.
  • Combined Mustang Mach-E and Mustang sales totaled 79,554 vehicles in 2021 – up 30.2 percent.

Mustang December 2021 Sales and Production Figures 1.jpg

Mustang December 2021 Sales and Production Figures 2.jpg

Mustang December 2021 Sales and Production Figures 3.jpg

Mustang December 2021 Sales and Production Figures 4.jpg
Sponsored

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
So nothing on the Mach 1 or GT500??

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
So by the numbers... almost 40% of the mustangs produced this month are unsold and sitting on the lots somewhere?

Year to date looks like 13000 mustangs are out there right now. Basically 20% of what was produced did not sell.

I have no idea if this is good or bad but that’s a lot of unsold cars if you asked me. What are typical numbers for similar models? Any big incentives going on?

Interesting none the less. Again, I have no knowledge of what’s good or bad but if I had 20% of my product left over and the last month was close to 40% left over, I’d be wanting to wash my hands of it.

Sponsored

Classic Lover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Dodge Challenger T/A 392 6 speed manual.
2021 marks the worst mustang sales year ever unless you count the Mach E, also the first time challenger has outsold the mustang.

traxiii

Mustang is my middle name
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Thunderbird F150 & '22 Mach 1 on order.
So by the numbers... almost 40% of the mustangs produced this month are unsold and sitting on the lots somewhere?

Year to date looks like 13000 mustangs are out there right now. Basically 20% of what was produced did not sell.

I have no idea if this is good or bad but that’s a lot of unsold cars if you asked me. What are typical numbers for similar models? Any big incentives going on?

Interesting none the less. Again, I have no knowledge of what’s good or bad but if I had 20% of my product left over and the last month was close to 40% left over, I’d be wanting to wash my hands of it.
My local dealer had zero or next to zero Mustangs in stock during the last half of 2021. They now have 4 or 5, pre virus they would have a dozen or more. Looks like they are still building inventory, though there has been talk around Ford of going to a majority custom customer order based model.

How many dealerships are there in the U.S. and do those numbers include over seas sales and production? Just wondering what the average dealer has on the lot, and where that compares with 2019? Also, how much are production numbers a product of the chip/parts shortage, and how much from demand? I'm thinking that most of it is due to the parts shortage, seeing the price of used cars sky rocketing, people still want cars.

Kermut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach M5413

I'm not quite sure how you are getting that number, but it doesn't seem right. A quick search on Autotrader for my hometown of Omaha, NE shows exactly 1 Mustang listed (all trims) within a 50 mile radius, where in a normal year there would be 15-20. So regardless of what those tables show, I would say inventory is still very low.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Any big incentives going on?
Ford just activated 500 cash + 0-1.9 financing. I'm trying to get my Private Offer re-issued. I didn't know I had one and it expired on the 3rd.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
My local dealer had zero or next to zero Mustangs in stock during the last half of 2021
several of the Metro DC have 50+ mustangs on the lot or in-bound. Admittedly this is across the multiple (typiecally 4) locations under the same ownership banner.

Around here several dealers are offering Invoice price or 1-2% below.
Huh, I just checked Lindsay and they're back to below invoice again. Problem is all the cars they have that I might be interested in have the damnable A10 trans.

up till ~March 2020 the same dealers would have 150-200 Mustangs across the same set of properties.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
I'm not quite sure how you are getting that number, but it doesn't seem right. A quick search on Autotrader for my hometown of Omaha, NE shows exactly 1 Mustang listed (all trims) within a 50 mile radius, where in a normal year there would be 15-20. So regardless of what those tables show, I would say inventory is still very low.
I just used the numbers from the original post and did the math as far as percentages and remaining units.
~7500 produced and 4500 sold for the month.
~65000 produced and 52000 sold

Kermut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach M5413
I just used the numbers from the original post and did the math as far as percentages and remaining units.
~7500 produced and 4500 sold for the month.
~65000 produced and 52000 sold
Oh, gotcha. Maybe there are fleet sales (Avis, Hertz, etc) that are unaccounted for?

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Oh, gotcha. Maybe there are fleet sales (Avis, Hertz, etc) that are unaccounted for?
very much doubt it. The Mustang as rental is history I think. Or 1000 units at most. If it was available to buy, Hertz et. al. would have snapped up everything they could get their hands on. As it is they were buying any random junk they could off the big clearing houses and paying $$$$$ for the privilege.

Kermut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach M5413
very much doubt it. The Mustang as rental is history I think. Or 1000 units at most. If it was available to buy, Hertz et. al. would have snapped up everything they could get their hands on. As it is they were buying any random junk they could off the big clearing houses and paying $$$$$ for the privilege.
Eh they still have a few; when I was buying a house in OK in April '21 the last car on the lot was a brand new GT with 500 miles (quite the upgrade from the Jetta I had reserved), and I just reserved a convertible in FL for our family vacation next week....both of these were Avis.

The Demon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 N5809, 2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Vehicle Showcase
Eh they still have a few; when I was buying a house in OK in April '21 the last car on the lot was a brand new GT with 500 miles (quite the upgrade from the Jetta I had reserved), and I just reserved a convertible in FL for our family vacation next week....both of these were Avis.
Just out of curiosity how much are they charging you for the vert. I am going to FL at the end of January and my ass is still hurting from the raping. Rental cars are stupid priced right now.
Sponsored