Sponsored

xecidex

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma 2024 Off Road Premium
Anyone know if the Canadian trims are going to be missing anything like the American Counterparts? My 2024 Off Road Premium already doesnt have digital rear view mirror (Which is a huge dissapointment), Digital Tailgate, and a option for Sway Bar Disconnect.

Does the Canadian Higher Trim levels offer same as the Americans? Also why is the Trailhunter so much more expensive in Canada than the US one???
Sponsored

Taco Azul

First Name
MP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla Model X, Polestar 2, Toyota GR86
The bitching about the MPGs this morning SMH… I’m stoked on 24 for the TH & PRO. I thought it would come in ~19mpg. Toyota crushing it, they’re gonna sell a lot of these tacos with the hybrid config.

my 2001 work truck 5.9L full size gets 12mpg right now. Doubling fuel economy. Still get a 6’ bed in TH, factory lift, and that insane 1.21gigawatz Doc Brown Back to the Future inverter.

Rivian for $95k anyone? 😆

IMG_4959.jpeg
Same here. I've been cross-shopping the TH with a GMC Canyon AT4x. The GMC gets 16mpg!!! It's the main thing that keeps me firmly with Toyota.

Independence Overland

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fj Cruiser
MPG isn't surprising.

On the power numbers, people aren't understanding what's happening here. Reviewers are saying the hybrid isn't a race horse, because it isn't. This is set up like a diesel intentionally. Diesels have lower horsepower numbers, but huge torque numbers.

If you ever lusted for a Toyota Hilux, this is as close as you will get as far as HP vs torque. For those that actually need the power for a heavy built truck (like what mine will be) the torque will pay off in a huge way. Going up mountain passes should be no issue at all, even when loaded. Pushing larger tires should be no issue, even when loaded.

We now get a 250 series Land Cruiser pickup truck. I wish I only had to pay 50k for it, but times have changed. If you want a basic one, and they hybrid doesn't look advantageous to you, then don't buy one. Its pretty simple.

The Tacoma is now similar in pricing to a Tundra because quite frankly, its a very similar truck. The "baby Tundra" comments are pretty true, but not just for looks. These new Tacomas are a more durable truck, at least on paper. That stuff costs money.

A leaf spring 2wd all the way to a truck with floating seats is pretty cool if you ask me.

North

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 Lexus LX470. 2022 Can Am Commander XT-P Max
Also why is the Trailhunter so much more expensive in Canada than the US one???
In the Truck King video they explained that Toyota Canada sets their pricing independently of Toyota US and that they must have just decided to treat Trailhunter as the top trim and priced it accordingly.

Granted the drive reviews so far are mostly short off-road courses, but it seems like the reviewers are picking Trailhunter over the PRO. The main feature outside of the suspension that differentiates the 2 is the ISO seats, which most people seem to hate, and with the PRO priced higher than the Trailhunter in the US I wonder if Trailhunter isn't going to end up being more popular in the US.

One silver lining for Canadians is if you want a PRO, after conversion you're paying $59k USD for that PRO which seems like a bargain at this point :wink:

rchrds

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Tacoma TRD
So even with these VERY extreme numbers, an owner still only sees $477 per year in savings. Most will likely sell the vehicle long before they would break even.
Looks over at 2004 Tacoma with 360k miles... that's $9540 in gas savings by your numbers. Looks good to me. Also, it's likely the last ICE vehicle I'll ever buy.

univurshul

First Name
J.F.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2001
This is probably something you already know. However, for those that are not aware (or as a reminder), be careful buying a hybrid thinking you are going to save money on gas. In most circumstances the mat doesn't support it.

Here's an example. Let's use the combined MPG number, assume $4/gallon gas, and 20K Miles a year. These numbers are likely way over the average that most will see in real life.

I-Force:
(20,000 Miles / 21 MPG) * $4.00 Per Gallon = $3,810 Per Year

I-Force Max:
(20,000 Miles / 24 MPG) * $4.00 Per Gallon = $3,333 Per Year

So even with these VERY extreme numbers, an owner still only sees $477 per year in savings. Most will likely sell the vehicle long before they would break even.

In other words, only buy the hybrid if you want the power and consider the MPG a nice bonus.
I drive a lot of mountain passes, and w/the TH long boi iForceMax spec I gain that higher GVWR (work).

also, the power management system is sick with the inverter output (work & camp). I have a 2023 Yoshino 1.4kWh solid state lithium power station & 4x100w Renogy that’ll daisy chain on the TH invertor doubling the wattage & extending the OEM 1.87 kWh NiMH on the truck. That Yoshino and the panels were $2.2k discounted, the added cost of the TH’s iForceMax is well worth it to me beyond MPGs and torque. The thing is a full blown off grid utility workhorse that features a generator mode that the standard iForce doesn’t have.

Tacoflvrd

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD sport
I just got my trd sport a week ago and I’m already thinking about trading it in for a Pro when they come out. Who knows, if they offer some decent deals in a year or two I just might.

FirstTimeTruckBuyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru, Audi
Looks over at 2004 Tacoma with 360k miles... that's $9540 in gas savings by your numbers. Looks good to me. Also, it's likely the last ICE vehicle I'll ever buy.
If you plan on keeping the 2024 hybrid for that long, don’t forget to factor in the cost of a battery replacement and hybrid powertrain components that can fail (i.e., added complexity)

The reality is that folks who are willing to pay the premium to have a hybrid Tacoma are doing so for reasons other than to save gas. Toyota has always marketed the “i-Force Max” powertrain (starting with the Tundra) as providing maximum power, not fuel economy.

Personally, I likely won’t be buying the hybrid model. The value just isn’t there for what I’ll be using the truck for. And given the current interest rates for new car loans, I am aiming to pay cash for my next truck. So, I’ll be looking for a good deal on a non-hybrid TRD OR this Fall. Whether that’ll be a 2024 or 2025 will depend on inventory and incentives offered (if any). I’ll be curious to see the sales figures for the hybrid vs non-hybrid models later this year.

Anyway, it’s nice to have options. Good luck to everyone!

SaltySam

First Name
Samuel Ferrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Tacoma off-road and 2023 civic type r
Any idea when these actually go on sale? IE - when the first ones will hit the lots?
I already have a build sheet and VIN, I’ll probably get an update with the newly released pricing. I’m assuming end of May or June. My dealer said the hybrids are already getting built beginning of April. Is it true? I’m not 100% sure but my TH should be built by mid May as per the tracker I got.

GL Rockwell

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 tacoma OR
Pricing is about where I predicted it to be, 63-65k for TH and Pro. At that price it’s competing against the Ranger raptor for a little less, ZR2 for a lot less, or ZR2 Bison for about the same. It’s going to be a great truck for those that decide to pony up for the Toyota tax but the value proposition isn’t there for me.
With destination, loaded the RR can be had for just over 59 grand. That's with the 1,500 beadlock wheel option.

Desert4G

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Pricing is about where I predicted it to be, 63-65k for TH and Pro. At that price it’s competing against the Ranger raptor for a little less, ZR2 for a lot less, or ZR2 Bison for about the same. It’s going to be a great truck for those that decide to pony up for the Toyota tax but the value proposition isn’t there for me.
How does it compete with the Ranger Raptor? That starts at $55-56k. $10k less than the Pro

AlexT

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado ZR2
How does it compete with the Ranger Raptor? That starts at $55-56k. $10k less than the Pro
I'm not sure I understand the question, all of the trucks listed compete in the same class of midsize halo off road trims. They each have a unique set of options and packages but at the end of the day are built for the same purpose. I'd argue that the Raptor would be the most "fun" truck with the 400hp TT V6 and the ZR2 is the best value.

zachavm

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester & Subaru Ascent
I drive a lot of mountain passes, and w/the TH long boi iForceMax spec I gain that higher GVWR (work).

also, the power management system is sick with the inverter output (work & camp). I have a 2023 Yoshino 1.4kWh solid state lithium power station & 4x100w Renogy that’ll daisy chain on the TH invertor doubling the wattage & extending the OEM 1.87 kWh NiMH on the truck. That Yoshino and the panels were $2.2k discounted, the added cost of the TH’s iForceMax is well worth it to me beyond MPGs and torque. The thing is a full blown off grid utility workhorse that features a generator mode that the standard iForce doesn’t have.
I completely agree. The hybrid is amazing in a lot of ways. My point is simply for people to calculate their own numbers so expectations are right on MPG savings. Very few will have enough value to get it just because of MPG savings. It is there as an upgraded engine option. Basically what used to be getting a V8 instead of a V6. The plus now is that doesn't cost you again at the pump.

zachavm

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester & Subaru Ascent
If you plan on keeping the 2024 hybrid for that long, don’t forget to factor in the cost of a battery replacement and hybrid powertrain components that can fail (i.e., added complexity)

The reality is that folks who are willing to pay the premium to have a hybrid Tacoma are doing so for reasons other than to save gas. Toyota has always marketed the “i-Force Max” powertrain (starting with the Tundra) as providing maximum power, not fuel economy.

Personally, I likely won’t be buying the hybrid model. The value just isn’t there for what I’ll be using the truck for. And given the current interest rates for new car loans, I am aiming to pay cash for my next truck. So, I’ll be looking for a good deal on a non-hybrid TRD OR this Fall. Whether that’ll be a 2024 or 2025 will depend on inventory and incentives offered (if any). I’ll be curious to see the sales figures for the hybrid vs non-hybrid models later this year.

Anyway, it’s nice to have options. Good luck to everyone!
Note that I've seen dealers in my area offering 0% interest on new car purchases including Toyota. Not sure how they are doing it though. Here's one of my local dealers that advertises it on the front page. 0% for 36 months.

2024 Tacoma 💰 MSRP Pricing (U.S. / Canada) & MPG for Hybrid 2024 Tacoma TRD Pro, Trailhunter, TRD Off-Road, TRD Sport, Limited! 1713927450802
Sponsored