Sponsored

univurshul

First Name
J.F.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2001
The bitching about the MPGs this morning SMH… I’m stoked on 24 for the TH & PRO. I thought it would come in ~19mpg. Toyota crushing it, they’re gonna sell a lot of these tacos with the hybrid config.

my 2001 work truck 5.9L full size gets 12mpg right now. Doubling fuel economy. Still get a 6’ bed in TH, factory lift, and that insane 1.21gigawatz Doc Brown Back to the Future inverter.

Rivian for $95k anyone? 😆

2024 Tacoma 💰 MSRP Pricing (U.S. / Canada) & MPG for Hybrid 2024 Tacoma TRD Pro, Trailhunter, TRD Off-Road, TRD Sport, Limited! IMG_4959
Sponsored

Irvin

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Outback
I just don't understand exactly what the extra HP and Torque is for. I get a truck for hauling and towing yet even with the extra "power" the towing and payload capacity are decreased on the hybrid (I get that it weighs more). Is it seriously just so you can speed up and pass slightly faster or brag about HP/torque?

So, what's the point of the hybrid other than a larger inverter because 26/27MPG at the same ICE HP/torque would have been much more useful. What is the power good for? Is there something I'm missing?

univurshul

First Name
J.F.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2001
I just don't understand exactly what the extra HP and Torque is for. I get a truck for hauling and towing yet even with the extra "power" the towing and payload capacity are decreased on the hybrid (I get that it weighs more). Is it seriously just so you can speed up and pass slightly faster or brag about HP/torque?

So, what's the point of the hybrid other than a larger inverter because 26/27MPG at the same ICE HP/torque would have been much more useful. What is the power good for? Is there something I'm missing?
More efficient mall crawling.

AlexT

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado ZR2
Pricing is about where I predicted it to be, 63-65k for TH and Pro. At that price it’s competing against the Ranger raptor for a little less, ZR2 for a lot less, or ZR2 Bison for about the same. It’s going to be a great truck for those that decide to pony up for the Toyota tax but the value proposition isn’t there for me.

mcrwlrpro

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Tacoma TRD Pro, 2016 Lexus ES 350

You need all that torque for Costco runs.

North

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 Lexus LX470. 2022 Can Am Commander XT-P Max

You are missing that an extra 2 MPG is not going to get most truck buyers to pay the premium for a hybrid in the same way that an extra 148 pound feet of torque is. Toyota wants to sell trucks. They have many other offerings for people who want fuel efficiency. The extra torque and the electric motor filling in the turbo lag gives a better overall driving experience and helps with towing, climbing grades, off roading, running larger tires, and acceleration, all things people want their trucks to perform well at over fuel economy. These hybrids still deliver quite good fuel economy considering the power on tap and weight.

I think some people want one extreme or the other. Either they want maximum performance and are fine getting 12 MPG to achieve that or they want max fuel efficiency and aren't concerned with performance. Note that even with the hybrid power numbers some reviewers still say the iForce Max isn't exactly a sports car when it comes to acceleration. You can always min/max specs and say "well X gets better mileage" or "X has more horsepower" but Toyota seems to prioritize balance, reliability, and safety over spec sheet numbers. And even with that said, 465 pound feet of torque and 23 MPG combined are class-leading (or close to it) numbers for body-on-frame midsize trucks.

rchrds

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Tacoma TRD
Pulling my Taxa camper off road. I'm absolutely smoking clutches in my 2004 TRD trying to haul a 1500 lb camper with 2000 lbs of dive gear in the bed. I'm really looking forward to the extra power. 13 hour highway drive to the other side of the country, or northern Mexico, with all the gear and camper, then full on 4wd on crappy mexican roads with all this weight. Tons of 1st gear shifting and clutch feathering even in 4LO with the axle locked. All the stuff on the trailhunter will get used.
2024 Tacoma 💰 MSRP Pricing (U.S. / Canada) & MPG for Hybrid 2024 Tacoma TRD Pro, Trailhunter, TRD Off-Road, TRD Sport, Limited! IMG_8186

Last edited:

BourbonRunner

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport, German Money Pit, Rusty Toyota

It isn't about bragging- When I'm merging onto the highway under a heavy load I want as much power as I possibly can afford.

I'm not disagreeing with you on the lowered capacity, but something to keep in mind: the add-ons (bumpers, skids, rock rails) of the Trailhunter specifically are already calculated in the weight, so you can remove that from your calculations as you add components. This was pointed out to me by another member when I had the same complaint and it made a lot of sense.

And-- That added armor adds up and fast. My ARB front on my 1st Gen was 175-ish lbs and each of the sliders was 50lbs, rear bumper was another 80-90lbs, and fiberglas cap was 150lbs. . That's another 450lbs+ in payload. Add me at 240lbs and the dog at another 40lbs and the 1625 total payload is now cut to under 900lbs. Add the boss and our gear for a full week of camping and you're now firmly in Overloading while Overlanding territory.

The other consideration: If you were to invest in a 2400w inverter, charge controller, and batteries to match up with the electrical capability of the TH, you're easily spending $2-3K+ on high quality (Redarc) components, not accounting for additional weight.

bitrunner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru, Audi
They easily could've hit 30 mpgs with the hynrids, they just think Tacoma buyers prioritize power over efficiency. I'm just saying I disagree.

Plus I've been waiting for this information to make my final decision on a truck. I think I'm disappointed because I'm realizing the Tacoma isn't going to happen/doesn't make sense.
Yeah, I meant with the known HP and torque numbers, 30mpg wasn’t on the table. They obviously could’ve designed the hybrid for maximum fuel efficiency but it has been pretty clear that that wasn’t in the cards

I do feel like it leaves most people more confused about the offerings than anything else, and the bumps in power are a harder sell for some people who would normally be drawn to it because of the added complexity of a newer hybrid system. It's not bad at all overall, just not fantastic, not immediately compelling, and not something to get in line and pay ADM's for.

zachavm

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester & Subaru Ascent
The bitching about the MPGs this morning SMH… I’m stoked on 24 for the TH & PRO. I thought it would come in ~19mpg. Toyota crushing it, they’re gonna sell a lot of these tacos with the hybrid config.

my 2001 work truck 5.9L full size gets 12mpg right now. Doubling fuel economy. Still get a 6’ bed in TH, factory lift, and that insane 1.21gigawatz Doc Brown Back to the Future inverter.

Rivian for $95k anyone? 😆

IMG_4959.jpeg
This is probably something you already know. However, for those that are not aware (or as a reminder), be careful buying a hybrid thinking you are going to save money on gas. In most circumstances the mat doesn't support it.

Here's an example. Let's use the combined MPG number, assume $4/gallon gas, and 20K Miles a year. These numbers are likely way over the average that most will see in real life.

I-Force:
(20,000 Miles / 21 MPG) * $4.00 Per Gallon = $3,810 Per Year

I-Force Max:
(20,000 Miles / 24 MPG) * $4.00 Per Gallon = $3,333 Per Year

So even with these VERY extreme numbers, an owner still only sees $477 per year in savings. Most will likely sell the vehicle long before they would break even.

In other words, only buy the hybrid if you want the power and consider the MPG a nice bonus.

zachavm

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester & Subaru Ascent

Power is not the limiting factor on either Payload or towing.

Also, if you are getting a truck for hauling and towing and are concerned about the limits I'm curious why you are looking at a mid-size? I would think most buying a mid-size are rarely if ever going to be pushing up against the limits. That is why I think Toyota didn't bother trying to compete in that segment. 6,000 lb towing may be low relative to the market, but it is far more than most owners will ever use it for.

evlfred

First Name
Monte
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Tundra Plat
Heck I'm thrilled with the 23MPG my new Limited Hybrid will get, my 2012 tundra is pulling about 12 around town...
Sponsored