Status
Not open for further replies.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
but introducing any SUV flavor into the image evoked by the name "Mustang"
My bet Ford is playing the long game and running classic 'influencing' operations. When the S750 shows up on a thinly disguised SUV platform, just lowered a couple inches very few 'new' customers will have any recollection of a "sports sedan" being associated with the name Mustang. Like our favorite novel 1984, the Mustang name will have always been the name of a CUV lineup. Just as we've always been at war with Euroasia and the Chocolate ration was increased from 30 grams to 25.
Sponsored

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
While the sub brand part may be true, neither Lexus nor Acura (nor Infiniti, for that matter) came into branding with any history of their own. Brand new names for . . . brand new brands.

It's clear that Ford only wants to build trucks and SUVs, but introducing any SUV flavor into the image evoked by the name "Mustang" - soon to be the only non-truck, non-SUV in Ford's catalog at least for North America - is just plain wrong.

Norm
I suspect Porsche owners said the same thing when they started selling SUV's. Lucky they did or Porsche wouldn't be selling anything at all now. Doesn't seem to have damaged the brand at all.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I suspect Porsche owners said the same thing when they started selling SUV's. Lucky they did or Porsche wouldn't be selling anything at all now. Doesn't seem to have damaged the brand at all.
Yes, but they had the decency not to call that SUV a "911".

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
But plenty got hot under the collar about them calling it a Porsche.

It makes no odds what anybody on here thinks in reality. You will buy it or not, and certainly I wouldn't stop buying an S550 Mustang because of the Mach E, and plenty will buy the Mach E because of the branding, who would never have bought an S550 anyway, so what not to like for Ford ?

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
56 pages and 800+ posts and we are all still arguing over something that is in the past instead of what hopefully will be a great future for Mustang owners.

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
My bet Ford is playing the long game and running classic 'influencing' operations. When the S750 shows up on a thinly disguised SUV platform, just lowered a couple inches very few 'new' customers will have any recollection of a "sports sedan" being associated with the name Mustang. Like our favorite novel 1984, the Mustang name will have always been the name of a CUV lineup. Just as we've always been at war with Euroasia and the Chocolate ration was increased from 30 grams to 25.
That's what scares me.

Norm

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
But like Toyota, Honda, and Nissan, Porsche came up with entirely new names for their SUVs. They left all of the 9xx model names alone. BMW has done much the same with their SAVs (they didn't use number-series, or M-series without an X SAV-indicator). How did it not make sense to Ford if they really were targeting especially those European marques that they should follow a similar path for naming a new model?

Norm

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
How did it not make sense to Ford if they really were targeting especially those European marques that they should follow a similar path for naming a new model?
Ford doesn't know the definition of 'logic' it seems.

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
And THAT is EXACTLY the point we all have been trying to make since Ford announced the “MACH-e” would be labeled as a “Mustang”, which it’s not and never will be (by heritage).

Mustang isn’t a Brand - just as the F-Series is not a brand.

The BRAND is: FORD
The PRODUCTS are: Mustang and F-Series
The SUB-MODELS under the Products are: “Shelby”, “Mach 1”, “Bullitt”, “King Ranch”, “Raptor”, etc., etc.

Porsche is the BRAND and they didn’t take their “911” and turn an SUV into a “911-e”, they introduced an entirely new product in their line and called it a “Cayenne”. That is a totally new model and had absolutely nothing to do with their Heritage sports car.

Ford thinks “Mustang” slapped onto a POS Escape/VW ID4 skateboard hybrid is a “Brand”...

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang isn’t a Brand - just as the F-Series is not a brand.
Is now !

Citroen did it with DS - a whole range of DS models

I do think it is all a storm in a teacup. It is what it is and the Mach E is selling well so clearly Ford got it right from a marketing point of view.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I do think it is all a storm in a teacup. It is what it is and the Mach E is selling well so clearly Ford got it right from a marketing point of view.
What I've said from the beginning has been if the Mach E was a good enough product, it wasn't going to need the 'Mustang' tag. And if it wasn't a good enough product, the 'Mustang' tag wouldn't save it.

Time will tell . . .

Norm
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.