Sponsored
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikthehun1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'
@Mikthehun1 GPS also known as "time to beat". I'm the same. I leave work and my phone tells me I'm 30 minutes from home. I make it there in 25ish, part of the game.

Chocolate make me poop so can't have any form of it. Vanilla is my go to for the last 20 years because of this. Never been a fruity sweets guy. Caramel or butterscotch on that vanilla for the win!
One time I had was meeting a vendor in Manhattan (back when you did that kind of thing). We had a lot to discuss, and the whole group was very friendly. As a result, I didn't leave until 2PM, which is after the cutoff for traffic. The GPS said it would take me 4 hours to travel 25 miles. I refused to accept this. Basically flew out of the city with the jaws of soul crushing traffic snapping shut behind me. I made it home in an hour 20. That's the best I've ever beaten the time.
Sponsored

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
One time I had was meeting a vendor in Manhattan (back when you did that kind of thing). We had a lot to discuss, and the whole group was very friendly. As a result, I didn't leave until 2PM, which is after the cutoff for traffic. The GPS said it would take me 4 hours to travel 25 miles. I refused to accept this. Basically flew out of the city with the jaws of soul crushing traffic snapping shut behind me. I made it home in an hour 20. That's the best I've ever beaten the time.
My best was from Washington state to Colorado. GPS said something like 23 hours I think on a Sunday morning. Made it in 19 hours without sleep and only stopping for gas and energy drinks. Made it just in time to get to my hotel room, shower, and then go work a 10 hour day lol.

Worst was going someplace I'd never been in a state I wasn't used to and letting the GPS ruin my life. Had co workers in the car with me and we tried a few different routes but all was fruitless. The cause was a semi truck exploding at a junction causing 2 freeways to be closed. 50 minute drive turned into 6.5 hours in a car with some differing opinions. Someone almost got kicked out of the car lol.

Mikthehun1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'
My best was from Washington state to Colorado. GPS said something like 23 hours I think on a Sunday morning. Made it in 19 hours without sleep and only stopping for gas and energy drinks. Made it just in time to get to my hotel room, shower, and then go work a 10 hour day lol.

Worst was going someplace I'd never been in a state I wasn't used to and letting the GPS ruin my life. Had co workers in the car with me and we tried a few different routes but all was fruitless. The cause was a semi truck exploding at a junction causing 2 freeways to be closed. 50 minute drive turned into 6.5 hours in a car with some differing opinions. Someone almost got kicked out of the car lol.
In my cars, the driver is the Captain. As such, mutineers can be made to walk the plank.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
No. I will miss the V8's but also appreciate, understand and agree with the reasons for it. I'm certain there will be fun sports cars in the future as much as the past.
I guess that's where we differ, and we may eventually just have to agree to disagree.

But I think you have to first live through a situation where something about cars that you strongly prefer has been taken away from you before you can fully understand the level of resistance you might have to having unwanted change forced on you. It's far from secret what I'm referring to here . . .

I know what I'd need at minimum to even start thinking about considering an EV. What I don't know yet is whether that would be enough.

Norm

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
In my cars, the driver is the Captain. As such, mutineers can be made to walk the plank.
Shared rental but I was driving. There are a few people I work with who I make sure to the best of my abilities never park by me when we're home. They're also the same people we never let drive the rentals.

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
You might be singing a different tune if you experience the instant acceleration and 0-60 times under 2-3sec
I can tell you that those things aren't relevant to any of my driving. While I use lots of WOT when I'm out on a road course, that's mostly confined to speeds of 60 mph and up. At slower speeds I'll either be in a corner where I can't use full power or on the street where I don't use it all.

Basically, the biggest part of what a performance EV is good for doesn't line up with the way I drive.

in addition to the extremely low center of gravity.... Then consider the fact that these cars were not designed as sports cars and imagine what a purpose built EV sports car can do.... (yes manuals could be included in that purpose built EV)
A low CG height is not an end, in and of itself. It's more about what you do with it (or need to do with it) that really matters. Once you've got the roll and pitch motions under control you'd be surprised at how much of those motions you might not even notice.

But yeah, an EV that'd fit me well enough that I could at least tolerate it probably could be built. Trouble is, nobody's even trying to do that yet.

Norm

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I commend you for fighting the good fight but you are simply not going to convince some people no matter how many times you try to explain it. These are the people that will be dragged along kicking and screaming while the rest of the world moves forward.
Would you gladly trade your 1970 429 Mustang in on an EV Mustang? That's basically the same thing.

It's in large part a matter of finding what you like and why you like it. When you've satisfied yourself all around that you've come to a very good place, why would you give that all up just to jump on somebody else's bandwagon?

Norm

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
The advantage to the EV is that the roll moment of the car is significantly lower, meaning much less stiff anti roll components in the suspension and a concurrent benefit to ride and handling. It is actually quite spooky how little roll there is, even in SUV type EV cars.
Probably true, though roll moment also depends on suspension geometry and the geometric roll centers / front view instant center locations.

I realize that many people consider roll to inherently be a bad thing. But that's too simplistic of a view, and I strongly suspect fostered by the average drivers' average driving where he never experiences much roll. Except in emergency avoidances, where the last thing he's going to think about monitoring is how much his car is rolling.

Performance wise the huge instant torque overcomes the extra weight so EV's are often faster than equivalent powered ICE cars.
Best Kool-aid flavor to be found as far as a great many car enthusiasts are concerned.

What "huge instant torque" amounts to is too much in the wrong place and not so much up where you could use it. Rein it in with torque management? Then why even have it?

Norm

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
... just trying to explain that EV doesn't automatically mean bad as some are suggesting. In fact EV has some distinct advantages over ICE that if you close your mind to it you will miss.
What if those advantages don't matter to you in your driving? You'd be deciding against EVs from a point of understanding something about the EVs and something about yourself. That's not the same thing as a closed mind.

Norm

Last edited:

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I don't disagree with any of that but (and it is a very big but) you are in an incredibly small minority in your needs for a car. This isn't me trying to provoke a response just simple reality. I am a petrolhead so sympathise with what you say but I'm also a realist.
Being a 'realist' doesn't mean you have to be as ready to throw in the towel on ICEs as a fairly strong pro-EV stance tends to suggest.

Norm

llinthicum1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Mustang
I would buy a BEV Mustang fastback coupe if it's a better car, i.e., fast, sporty, long hood, short rear deck, etc. at a reasonable price. I would not buy one or any BEV vehicle for that matter to control global warming. I understand climate change and it's definitely happening. We are fooling ourselves to think we can stop or reverse it, but if we want to try, that's fine.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
I realize that many people consider roll to inherently be a bad thing.

Norm
I doubt you ever had the Citroen Xantia Activa in the US. It had Citroens Hydractive II active suspension and when initially tested was set up with zero roll. All the test drivers then got the engineers to add in some roll because zero roll is really quite unpleasant and removes a huge part of the connection with what the car is doing.

And in other useless facts - The Xantia still holds the record in the 'Moose test' because of that roll control.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
What if those advantages don't matter to you in your driving? You'd be deciding against EVs from a point of understanding something about the EVs and something about yourself. That's not the same thing as a closed mind.

Norm
Agree, but also of course there are inherent flaws in ICE cars as well which in some cases EV's solve or are less compromised.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.