Not open for further replies.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
Not you personally. But some governments are, and some of your replies give the impression that you're rejoicing in it.
Grasping reality is different to rejoicing in it. I love V8 and V12 cars but I'm also a realist and know they have no future.

Mikthehun1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'
It isn't quite as simple as that. EV's carry more weight, but they carry it very low down. Most have batteries at floor level (some even under the floor) and so the centre of gravity is extraordinarily low. An ICE engine is a big lump suspended much higher in the car. The front end on a Mustang is hugely compromised by that big lump of V8 and it will always be playing catch up compared to the front end on the Taycan for example that doesn't have that weight high up at the front.

The advantage to the EV is that the roll moment of the car is significantly lower, meaning much less stiff anti roll components in the suspension and a concurrent benefit to ride and handling. It is actually quite spooky how little roll there is, even in SUV type EV cars.

Performance wise the huge instant torque overcomes the extra weight so EV's are often faster than equivalent powered ICE cars.

They are different for sure and the techniques to setting up an EV based chassis are different to those of an ICE based chassis, but the crucial word is different not better or worse.
Didn't ask about where the engine is. I asked about the curb weight of the vehicle. Part of the fun in a Mini is whipping the light car around corners. No matter where you put the weight, more of it will change the behavior. The body might not roll, but the absolute cornering experience will change.

I'll give you an example. My Charger feels good in corners. The body is very low, and very stiff. The inertia of pushing all that mass still makes the car want to slide, where the Mustang will just grip. Mini's ride like go-karts. Add 500lbs and you take that feeling away.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
Like I said, and like many others have said, convincing us would be easier if you weren't trying to bully us into it. A child will eventually eat his/her vegetables if you take away every other kind of food, but convincing them that they taste good will be impossible after that.

I get it - you love your Model 3. Good for you. But can't you just enjoy it without trying to force everybody else to like it?
Personally, I am not trying to force you to like it. I’m trying to clear some misconceptions and outdated information people have. Most people here however don’t event want to listen to that because of their set in stone opinions.

Sponsored

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Most people here however don’t event want to listen to that because of their set in stone opinions.
OK then, let's leave out our opinions and talk facts. What electric coupé with rear wheel drive and 450 HP could I buy today for fifty thousand dollars?
Let's say I love the idea of an EV. I would love to have an electric replacement for my Mustang GT. It must look and feel exactly like my GT (except for the engine sound, of course), and also be able to do long journeys. I do occasionally drive 600-700 miles; it must be able to do that in one leg, without compromising speed or comfort.
What would that be?

Last edited:

I <3 Boost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP 10 Speed Automatic
Personally, I am not trying to force you to like it. I’m trying to clear some misconceptions and outdated information people have. Most people here however don’t event want to listen to that because of their set in stone opinions.
I am not attempting to sway the opinions of anyone either. I personally respect the opinions of anyone within reason. For me and my passion for cars, I do not see a way that an EV can be as enjoyable for me. Is change coming...? Absolutely!

When I purchase a vehicle, I solely purchase it due to the build capabilities of the platform. In my personal opinion, there is nothing special about a stock Mustang. I can't think of a single car south of $100,000 that I would be content with the factory performance. I love wrenching on my vehicles, personalizing them, making them my own, making them unique, and adding 100 or more wheel horsepower to them. I love the sounds and smells associated with performance cars! I love the ability to simply change from 93 octane to E-85 and gain significant amounts of power on various platforms! I love manual transmissions and the ability to blip the throttle to rev-match!

Again, I know that EVs are the future. Nothing about an EV appeals to me and that is just my opinion. At some point, I could possibly drive an EV as a daily driver, but it will never appeal to me or provide me with the sensations I love about a vehicle with a combustion engine. Regardless of the power or adrenaline rush that an EV might offer, it will never fulfill my performance car wants/needs.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
OK then, let's leave out our opinions and talk facts. What electric coupé with rear wheel drive and 450 HP could I buy today for fifty thousand dollars?
Let's say I love the idea of an EV. I would love to have an electric replacement for my Mustang GT. It must look and feel exactly like my GT (except for the engine sound, of course), and also be able to do long journeys. I do occasionally drive 600-700 miles; it must be able to do that in one leg, without compromising speed or comfort.
What would that be?
Well if we believe the rumor you will have that in about 7 years.

The argument right now is BS considering even the mustang is having a hard time selling right now. You are not going to target a niche segment of the market for your first EV. You target the mass market as you have seen. The closest to what you are asking is a model 3 AWD or performance (around $50k and beats the GT on the track)

Even a current EV is capable of doing what you are asking, they just don’t look as good yet.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Didn't ask about where the engine is. I asked about the curb weight of the vehicle. Part of the fun in a Mini is whipping the light car around corners. No matter where you put the weight, more of it will change the behavior. The body might not roll, but the absolute cornering experience will change.

I'll give you an example. My Charger feels good in corners. The body is very low, and very stiff. The inertia of pushing all that mass still makes the car want to slide, where the Mustang will just grip. Mini's ride like go-karts. Add 500lbs and you take that feeling away.
But you can't explain the difference without referencing where the weight is positioned.

I'm used to driving Lotus's and the Evora and Elise ride and handle in a very similar way. One ways 950kg and one weighs 1350kgs. So nearly 400kgs heavier in the Evora and yet it drives the same way.

Modern Mini's (BMW) handle in a very similar way to the old Mini's (BL) but are 500kg heavier.

In Harry's video I posted earlier he said the Taycan drives just like any other Porsche and yet is 600kg heavier.

It isn't the weight per se but where it is positioned and the impact it has on vehicle dynamics.

It is the difference between nailing a 300Kg anvil on the bonnet of your car and spreading it evenly at floor level. One would be horrendous to drive, the other you may not notice. Both carrying an extra 300kg but the impact on handling is very different.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Perfectly put

Sponsored

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Even a current EV is capable of doing what you are asking,
Actually, none is. None looks and feels like a Mustang (except perhaps the Taycan, but that's way out of my reach). And none can do 700 miles in one go.
Will they eventually do that? Perhaps. But today they don't.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
What would that be?
What ICE coupe with 450PS could you buy for $50k other than a Mustang ? (OK other US equivalents if LHD) Probably you will have to wait for a hybrid / EV Mustang coupe.

Mustang can't do 600 miles without stopping !

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
Actually, none is. None looks and feels like a Mustang (except perhaps the Taycan, but that's way out of my reach). And none can do 700 miles in one go.
Will they eventually do that? Perhaps. But today they don't.
Your mustang can’t do 700 miles in one go either...

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I didn't say without stopping. Stopping for five minutes to fill up doesn't count.
In one go means without having to spend the night halfway through the journey, nor to go for a two hour walk or visit a museum while the car is charging - only to gain 40% more range during that time.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
I am not attempting to sway the opinions of anyone either. I personally respect the opinions of anyone within reason. For me and my passion for cars, I do not see a way that an EV can be as enjoyable for me. Is change coming...? Absolutely!

When I purchase a vehicle, I solely purchase it due to the build capabilities of the platform. In my personal opinion, there is nothing special about a stock Mustang. I can't think of a single car south of $100,000 that I would be content with the factory performance. I love wrenching on my vehicles, personalizing them, making them my own, making them unique, and adding 100 or more wheel horsepower to them. I love the sounds and smells associated with performance cars! I love the ability to simply change from 93 octane to E-85 and gain significant amounts of power on various platforms! I love manual transmissions and the ability to blip the throttle to rev-match!

Again, I know that EVs are the future. Nothing about an EV appeals to me and that is just my opinion. At some point, I could possibly drive an EV as a daily driver, but it will never appeal to me or provide me with the sensations I love about a vehicle with a combustion engine. Regardless of the power or adrenaline rush that an EV might offer, it will never fulfill my performance car wants/needs.
I don't disagree with any of that but (and it is a very big but) you are in an incredibly small minority in your needs for a car. This isn't me trying to provoke a response just simple reality. I am a petrolhead so sympathise with what you say but I'm also a realist.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.