Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
You should look into Starlink....

https://www.starlink.com/
Oh, I've done that fairly long time ago, sometime last year when the major tests were announced I signed up for information email.
Currently, it looks like this for me (see attachment) - to pay $100 now, then $100 a month and $500 for hardware for something I'm not guaranteed to have working or even the fact that they've only tested around 40Mbps end of 2020 in non-rural environments doesn't fill me with much hope.
I currently pay $50/mo for 18Mbps. To go to more than double for double the price is still acceptable-ish to me, but until I see reliable speed tests, this seems like a risky investment (despite the disclaimer of "fully refundable.")

Our community in NJ was half cable, half fiber. I, of course, lived on the wrong side of the tracks. Now here in Myrtle Beach we have fiber. Started at 50Mbps in 2017, then went to 100Mbps. We were just increased to 300/300Mbps. The cost has remained the same.
That's how developed nations (which arguably I'm starting to think the US is not, at least in some areas) should work - technology advances, makes things more affordable, so savings/service improvements are passed onto the consumer.
Good for you, glad it's working for you. I wish I had those speeds.

2021_02_18_09_20_45_Starlink.png
Sponsored

Mikthehun1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'
How silly. Emeritus Fellow of Oxford University at a public event, not some 2 bit 'youtoobist'

If you can't tell the difference then you really do have a problem :cwl: :cwl: :cwl:
Yootoobist with credentials, got it :like:

tenor.gif

I know who the fuck Dawkins is, ya Jabroni :giggle: :facepalm:

You should look into Starlink....

https://www.starlink.com/
Very interested to see where this goes, but my concern is that they won't ever get the latency down low enough to be of interest to me. I hardline everything from input to output.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
Here’s an interesting read. Unless we can reverse this downward spiral the US as we have known it for 200+ years will cease to exist.

https://www.axios.com/america-cant-...age-6f61660e-61e2-448a-85ed-d284a82a5b2c.html
Unfortunately we seem to have become violently opposed to any “changes” in this country whether it be technological advances or simply social changes... There has been a narrative spun in this country that these changes are destroying the “American way of life”. This of course creates some pretty strong resentment and cements opinions opposing changes. We take whatever issues we can find about that change and blow them up into some impossible challenge that we can’t possibly overcome to justify the narrative... At some point this has got to stop......

Right????........

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
Oh, I've done that fairly long time ago, sometime last year when the major tests were announced I signed up for information email.
Currently, it looks like this for me (see attachment) - to pay $100 now, then $100 a month and $500 for hardware for something I'm not guaranteed to have working or even the fact that they've only tested around 40Mbps end of 2020 in non-rural environments doesn't fill me with much hope.
I currently pay $50/mo for 18Mbps. To go to more than double for double the price is still acceptable-ish to me, but until I see reliable speed tests, this seems like a risky investment (despite the disclaimer of "fully refundable.")

That's how developed nations (which arguably I'm starting to think the US is not, at least in some areas) should work - technology advances, makes things more affordable, so savings/service improvements are passed onto the consumer.
Good for you, glad it's working for you. I wish I had those speeds.

2021_02_18_09_20_45_Starlink.png
Considering they have a tiny fraction of their full constellation in orbit right now I understand the hesitation.... From all the reviews and speed tests I have seen though, the system seems pretty stable even now with close to 200mb/s downloads and 20-30 upload.

It is supposed to grow to gigabit speeds as the constellation is filled out which should justify the cost more. My area doesn’t get service until later this year. I’ll see where they are at when that happens and go from there because I’m itching to ditch the ONE service provider my area has....

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
Here’s an interesting read. Unless we can reverse this downward spiral the US as we have known it for 200+ years will cease to exist.

https://www.axios.com/america-cant-...age-6f61660e-61e2-448a-85ed-d284a82a5b2c.html
Love it. Sooner be left sitting around a burning oil drum than let them Feds take control. With people like that in control you are in big trouble.

Meanwhile, Rick Perry — the former energy secretary under Donald Trump and Abbott's predecessor as Texas governor — said Texans are willing to sacrifice and endure blackouts to keep the feds from taking over the energy grid

Sponsored

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
Very interested to see where this goes, but my concern is that they won't ever get the latency down low enough to be of interest to me. I hardline everything from input to output.
Anything under 20 ms is excellent and they are currently in the 20-30 range with a fraction of their constellation in orbit on top of the fact that most of the sats in orbit do not have the interlinks that will further bring down overall latency....

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Exactly that. The convenience of being able to charge your EV at home and not having to find a fuel station is missed by many :wink:
It's a convenience only if (and when) it's available. Neither of which can be guaranteed.

Norm

Mikthehun1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'
Anything under 20 ms is excellent and they are currently in the 20-30 range with a fraction of their constellation in orbit on top of the fact that most of the sats in orbit do not have the interlinks that will further bring down overall latency....
I'm a crazy person who chases single-digit latency. It's like with how I feel about EV's. Unless the wireless is 1-to-1 with my fiber line, I'm not buying.

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
4. I agree. Right now they can’t fit EVERY lifestyle but they can fit the majority. In fact, almost 80% of people in the US have a commute less then 30 miles. For those people, an EV can be a direct replacement. ICE vehicles are not going to disappear overnight.... New ICE vehicles will still be a part of the market up until the 2030’s. Look at how far EVs have come in the last 10 years (pushed forward by a startup by the way) and consider that the next 10 years will likely solve the issues for the remaining people an EV might not quite fit right now.
Even if I was to stipulate to agree with every other argument you've posted, an EV still isn't going to solve - for me individually here - the issue of actually wanting to buy and live with an EV.

That that's not a problem amenable to direct technical solution does not mean it's not a problem. In actuality, it's probably a bigger problem than either range or recharging.

Norm

Bit_the_Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Considering they have a tiny fraction of their full constellation in orbit right now I understand the hesitation.... From all the reviews and speed tests I have seen though, the system seems pretty stable even now with close to 200mb/s downloads and 20-30 upload.

It is supposed to grow to gigabit speeds as the constellation is filled out which should justify the cost more. My area doesn’t get service until later this year. I’ll see where they are at when that happens and go from there because I’m itching to ditch the ONE service provider my area has....
Right, understand and agree.
I will GLADLY pay $100 instead of $50 monthly, if I go from 18Mbps down/1Mbps up to 200/20-30. That's for sure worth it, even with the expensive equipment fees etc.

I guess it's a bit of a catch-22. To me, the proof of concept or better service is not YET there. But once it is, EVERYONE will want this, at which point better get in line and wait few months to get it all. I guess it might be worth biting the Bullitt (teehee) now, get set up and be rocking and rolling once it's game on.

Mikthehun1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'
Even if I was to stipulate to agree with every other argument you've posted, an EV still isn't going to solve - for me individually here - the issue of actually wanting to buy and live with an EV.

That that's not a problem amenable to direct technical solution does not mean it's not a problem. In actuality, it's probably a bigger problem than either range or recharging.

Norm
Dead serious, what if someone made an EV with a proper manual transmission? Instead of direct drive to the wheels, hook the motor to a flywheel like an ICE drivetrain. Back in college I actually started designing an electric piston motor that was driven by coilguns. The idea was to have an electric that revved and felt like an ICE. I had the budget of a college student, so I wasn't able to get it working in anything beyond a demo capacity though. Unlimited time and money, I could probably build an electric "motor" that produced Coyote levels of power, while also being lighter.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I know it's late but the Plaid did a 1:30 around Laguna Seca...faster than the GT500, C8 Z51, Porsche 911 Turbo S, Lamborghini Hurracan Evo, and faster than a Ferrari F8 Tributo. Range is a good discussion point though.

My argument is 99.9% of the market will rarely track their cars and when they do its for a couple laps. We also have to think on grudge nights at a track we only get 5 passes max.
I doubt that 5 passes adds up to only two laps at HPDE. Now figure 10 laps per session and four or five sessions (OK, TNiA only runs 3 sessions).

I believe what will need to happen is the infrastructure for charging needs WAY expanded, and Tesla has fast charging headed down the right path. 0 to 80% on under 30 minutes. If we had faster charging stations at tracks, and had them like gas stations I'd be happy.
The faster you recharge, and the more times you quick-recharge, the faster your batteries will degrade. And if you had to wait for only one other car to drive away from the bank of rechargers at a road course, you'd barely have enough time to recharge your car before being called to grid for your next session. If you're 3rd in line, my guess is you'd be SOL as far as running your next session at a pace that would justify you being out there.

Norm

Bit_the_Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Dead serious, what if someone made an EV with a proper manual transmission? Instead of direct drive to the wheels, hook the motor to a flywheel like an ICE drivetrain. Back in college I actually started designing an electric piston motor that was driven by coilguns. The idea was to have an electric that revved and felt like an ICE. I had the budget of a college student, so I wasn't able to get it working in anything beyond a demo capacity though. Unlimited time and money, I could probably build an electric "motor" that produced Coyote levels of power, while also being lighter.
I think I'd be ALL OVER THAT. Honestly, I'm mental when it comes to manuals. I hate automatics. I get the benefits etc., but I can't stand them.
If we're going to lose ICEs eventually, getting some sort of manual in an EV to me sounds awesome.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.