Sponsored
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikthehun1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'
Not to worry. I understand my old company, Panasonic, has some incredible technology in the works. Not for tomorrow or the next day but within the next few years.

But I also believe that two other keys are 1. the recharging station network and 2. clean power generation. All of these have to improve for the industry to grow.
There's always been some incredible technology "within the next few years". I've been reading articles about new battery tech for years. I've yet to see any of these ideas materialize as an actual product. Maybe the current interest in EV's will light a fire under some asses.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Tesla:
300-500 mile range
30+ minutes to charge

Diesel:
800-2000 mile range
10-15 minutes to fill

Not exactly a one-to-one replacement. EV's can fill a decent niche in a logistics network, but they aren't near capable of fulfilling a long-haul role.
EV trucks will most likely take over a lot of the "last mile" hauling first. Warehouse to retailer and direct delivery to customer. Which would be at its best for serving densely-populated and otherwise congested areas. That'd be the "low hanging fruit".

Norm

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
There's always been some incredible technology "within the next few years". I've been reading articles about new battery tech for years. I've yet to see any of these ideas materialize as an actual product. Maybe the current interest in EV's will light a fire under some asses.
The incentive hasn’t been there to further develop and market these technologies. Smart phone makers got around battery life concerns buy just making the phone larger (path of least resistance/risk) for instance. The EV market might finally provide that incentive. The first automaker to have an affordable EV capable of 500 miles to a charge and recharge in less then 15min with existing infrastructure would likely have great success and be able to stand out in the market.

Sponsored

Mikthehun1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'
EV trucks will most likely take over a lot of the "last mile" hauling first. Warehouse to retailer and direct delivery to customer. Which would be at its best for serving densely-populated and otherwise congested areas. That'd be the "low hanging fruit".

Norm
This is the best role for them, yes. They need to match/beat the specs of existing fleets to make any headway into the other segments I've mentioned though. Unless we all accept a very big lifestyle change where everything takes longer to get.

bccbca6f71ee718b3e5df0e5687fff11.jpg

Mikthehun1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'
The incentive hasn’t been there to further develop and market these technologies. Smart phone makers got around battery life concerns buy just making the phone larger (path of least resistance/risk) for instance. The EV market might finally provide that incentive. The first automaker to have an affordable EV capable of 500 miles to a charge and recharge in less then 15min with existing infrastructure would likely have great success and be able to stand out in the market.
A big part of the problem is the physics/chemistry. We need to overcome some serious hurdles in materials science to see any major advancements. These are the new breakthroughs I've been reading about for years, but never materialize. A lot of them do in fact work in laboratory tests. The bigger issue is that they can't be manufactured cheaply enough at scale.

You're absolutely right that the research will follow the money. My concern is that this could be a problem without a real solution. The storage potential of batteries does have a finite limit because of the chemistry.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
A big part of the problem is the physics/chemistry. We need to overcome some serious hurdles in materials science to see any major advancements. These are the new breakthroughs I've been reading about for years, but never materialize. A lot of them do in fact work in laboratory tests. The bigger issue is that they can't be manufactured cheaply enough at scale.
Thats my point about R&D.... Most of these technologies do work in the lab and DO have the potential for mass production with a bit more development. No significant technological hurtles exist for a lot of these lab batteries. The problem is getting a company invested in the technology and getting a manufacturer to completely retool their production facilities for the new technology. That isn’t going to happen unless there is a significant incentive (money or market dominating opportunities) to do so....

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Thats my point about R&D.... Most of these technologies do work in the lab and DO have the potential for mass production with a bit more development. No significant technological hurtles exist for a lot of these lab batteries. The problem is getting a company invested in the technology and getting a manufacturer to completely retool their production facilities for the new technology. That isn’t going to happen unless there is a significant incentive (money or market dominating opportunities) to do so....
Just watch my old company.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/gregga...nch-joint-ev-battery-venture/?sh=806c3fa4c3a8

Look at the revenue and market cap.

Screen Shot 2021-02-11 at 12.52.33 PM.png

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
I'm approaching 59 and expect that I will drive the current car for the next 20 years, as a fair weather car in retirement. Our 2015 Rogue will perhaps get replaced at some point, maybe 10 years, and it may very well be replaced by a full on EV. Beyond the 20 year horizon, I don't know, and am not really worried about it at this point.

For the younger crowd, yes, this will eventually be an issue. Although I think there will be a lot of swallowing of pride going on. Are you going to deny yourself the pleasure of owning a Mustang, in whatever form that may take? Your option will be to drive whatever else is in the market, a sedan or SUV, which in all likelihood will be electric.

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
This is the best role for them, yes. They need to match/beat the specs of existing fleets to make any headway into the other segments I've mentioned though. Unless we all accept a very big lifestyle change where everything takes longer to get.
My son subscribes to an Owner-Operator trucking periodical (he's got his CDL-A). Saw this article in the print copy a couple of days ago so I chased the online version down . . . so apparently they're on the verge of being out there already.

Volvo launches VNR Electric model in the U.S., Canada - Land Line

Norm

Mikthehun1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
Our next cars will be: EV + Gas Engine-Generator.

Again, they work together to make the vehicle limitation nill.

Mikthehun1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'
Our next cars will be: EV + Gas Engine-Generator.

Again, they work together to make the vehicle limitation nill.
Mazda is supposedly doing that with the next RX model. A little gas motor weighs a hell of a lot less than 100kw of batteries, but can deliver the same range.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.