Not open for further replies.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
The point is electric is coming and 1000 hp with 500 plus mile ranges in luxury cars (not performance coupes) is not to shabby. That Lucid only takes 20 minute charge for 300 miles. Straight line on the street those will kill any new internal combustion setup on the market. Trivial or not....
None of that means I have to like it.
Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
1000 hp is 745 KILOWATTS. That Tesla won't be doing 1000HP for very long. Yea, you might get 500 miles driving on a flat interstate at 65 MPh. I doubt you will be able to get 4 1/4 mile runs at full throttle. Maybe 5 to 10 laps at a road course.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
That 745 KW will also require a commensurate cooling load, which they can't easily provide. It also requires some bad-ass brakes, which they don't have (you can't shunt the regen braking back to batteries all that fast).

People only want 1000 HP on paper. Driving 1000 HP, particularly in anger, is a significantly different matter.

MikeyV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT Premium - Brembo - Race Red
None of that means I have to like it.
This. All electric cars don't interest me. I like cars specifically because of V8 engines.
No V8? I'm not interested.

If I have to drive one in 2050 to get around, so be it. It won't give me the feels.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
I don't think any current battery will be able to supply 700+ Kw's of power for more than a few fractions of a second.

I think they are rating the power like the old pyramid car stereo power boosters back in the 70's.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
As long as it's a proper pony car Mustang (2+2 seating/long nose/short tail/fastback or convertible) I welcome an EV version. It'll be a sad day when you can no longer buy a Mustang with a V8, but we know its coming eventually.

Personally, I'd like to see the EV version sold alongside the V8, but if they're going to build a pure EV Mustang, it would make sense that its new from the ground up.

I still want to see a hybrid (especially if its a V8 with electric assist) for S650 though.
I hope for people like you that whatever hybrid or EV "Mustang" eventually comes out is good looking and you enjoy driving it.

I won't probably buy one. IMO the entire reason for the shape of the Mustang is that you have a big V8 engine in the front. It won't be the same with a bunch of batteries in there.

I can slightly understand in 1974 when gas was really expensive and cars didn't last very long why people sold their 1969 Mach 1s and bought Mustang IIs. It seems to me that those people were short-sighted, however. This transition to electric is a lot less understandable to me. I just don't see anything desirable about it.

And a modern Mustang can easily last 20 or 30 years. They are plenty fast enough for street driving and have enough power to be fun on track. They are still fairly easy to work on. Definitely a lot less dangerous than working around high powered electrics. Possibly performance ICE cars will come back again. And I'll have money for engine swap upgrades in the meantime.

jrsimon27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2016 PP
well the future is here and when you get gapped by a mach E GT electric we will reconsider getting an electric car.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
well the future is here and when you get gapped by a mach E GT electric we will reconsider getting an electric car.
I don't race, so I don't get gapped. im the slowest driver on the forum, my decisions for wanting things are based on what I want. Lol not because someone in a 1000 hp car passes me. but im sure there are people who would be like oh hell no. brb ordering 1100 hp engine

Mustangpursuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT/CS 2019
Vehicle Showcase
Yep and both will smoke a new 80k GT500.
How many times can it go Plaid? Did Tesla have some built in limit on using Ludicrous speed?

Mustangpursuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT/CS 2019
Vehicle Showcase
I prefer plug-in Hybrid trims for piece of mind. not everyone has a charger near at home especially some apartment renters or street parkers?

Sponsored

WhinRR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
1988 Ford Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Mustang GT
Two completely different experiences. I always felt Teslas were just fast appliances not cars. There is more to a car than just raw numbers. Just my humble opinion...YMMV.

Dave
What are you missing? Honestly for me the feeling cars give you when you smash the gas is what draws me personally to cars.

WhinRR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
1988 Ford Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Mustang GT
Horse pucky.

And a Tesla is not an automobile...anymore than a golf kart.

And an electric only mustang won't be either.

I'm fixin' to buy a '7 1 Mach w/ 3514V. That'll show em.
There are gas powered golf carts-- are these cars?

Last edited:

Mikthehun1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'
How many times can it go Plaid? Did Tesla have some built in limit on using Ludicrous speed?
Two, maybe three times. It's not a built in limit so much as the physics of batteries. They can only go full stink when everything is in the exact right condition. Not too hot, not too cold, at or close to full charge, etc. Another way to beat EV's is from a highway roll. Yes it's a little ricer, but they really fall on their faces around 70+. That or challenge them to an endurance race exactly one mile longer than their advertised range. In the winter :giggle:

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
One of my golf buddies has a tesla model S. We are in the hills of KY. He says it is a great car to go to and from work. Also it is fun to show up a Vett or.......

But his 300 mile range is really 200 since we have hills. If he uses the power it becomes 50 miles.

750 Kw is a lot of power, no battery yet made can support that draw for any length of time.

250 amps at 110 volts = 21 Kw

The stick welder in your garage is 225 amps at 25 volts

Is 4 Kw

Troutwrangler

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP2 Magnetic Metallic
Me personally, not into the electric/autonomous vehicles now and most likely for many more years.
With that said... if I ever make it to 90 years old and can no longer drive, I think I would love to be able to climb into a car and say "Take me to ______" and just sit back and enjoy the ride.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.