FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I will own whatever is available at the time I need a car, till then both my gas sippers are 100% functional.
Sponsored

v8hgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
It makes sense to me. I can’t imagine any car manufacturers out there doing an ICE only platform redesign in 2021. It’s too close to the end of ice date set in many markets. If you are doing a clean sheet design today you design for BEV or at a push, hybrid. Best option for ford will be to extend the current platform into a hybrid with a mild make over and swapping out the motor for an ISG assisted ecoboost. That should buy them 5 yrs or so to deliver on the BEV platform. They have the machE out there now to use as a production test bed after all. 2028 seems very do-able

Fordified

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several Mustangs thru the years
Ford is more than ready for the EV future ahead. And the Mach E is just the start. What they've developed and learned from this model alone will set them up quite nicely for the next 15+ years, if not longer.
It's no secret why Ford uses the Mustang Mach E nameplate; brand recognition for what is to come, that'll make a nice transition to the EV-only offerings.
But I highly doubt the next gen will be solely EV. AWD and hybrid, yes, but I think the 5.0 will be around for awhile yet. I'm sure demand will ultimately be a deciding factor in how long the Mustang keeps its ICE available. But the end is coming. When? Who knows?

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
As long as it's a proper pony car Mustang (2+2 seating/long nose/short tail/fastback or convertible) I welcome an EV version. It'll be a sad day when you can no longer buy a Mustang with a V8, but we know its coming eventually.
Lot's of Ford executives stated that there always will be a Mustang V8 so i don't believe a report made by a website that can't even get S650 release date correct (also stated numerous times to be MY' 23).

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
Yep and both will smoke a new 80k GT500.
Probably not around a track, and definitely not for more than a very limited distance race.

But, 1/4 mile, sure. I find that somewhat trivial.

Sponsored

Sergeant Gearhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
If this news is true (which I don't think it is), then what ever happened to Ford dropping that new 6.8-liter engine into it?

Super-Genius

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2020 Oxford White Mustang GT
I'm 52 years old, and pretty far away from what you would call "old school". Honestly, I haven't gotten on board with EV's (yet) ... so I'm going to avoid that transition as long as possible.

XS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
I'm not opposed to an EV. I've been mulling over an electric motorcycle, and to my motorcycling buddies that's sacrilege - but I don't know, I find it interesting. That said, I don't use my motorcycles like I use my cars. I'm used to going on 1000 mile road trips in the summer. Sometimes I'll put away 1000 miles in one day of road tripping. This is what I enjoy, time to myself to think and cruise, and see the county, and see amazing places. And no matter how fast an EV is, it's already lost the race if I have to stop after 400 miles and wait, minimum, half an hour for a charge - provided you can even find a charge station when there's an increasing amount of EVs on the road, all waiting for a charge at a rest stop with only 4 stations. I can push the 'stang 400 miles, ten minute fill up and wee, then I'm on the road again. The EV might destroy me at every traffic light but it will look a bit silly as I go cruising by while it's sitting in line waiting for a charge station in the middle of nowhere. Until the tech and infrastructure catches up, I'm sorry, they're just not for me. Once they do, sure why not I'll get one too.

Sponsored

fmc_smt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 gt , 2015 Escape , 2015 F250
Vehicle Showcase
I drove a 2021 Powerboost f150 the other day . Impressive package . 3.5 with an a10 with a hybrid motor sandwiched between the engine and transmission . Gobs of torque compared to the normal 3.5 . Might make a nice package in the s550 platform .

MikeyV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT Premium - Brembo - Race Red
That’s for a truck from what I read
Right? I know nobody think this engine will end up in the Mustang, but...
Riddle me this:

Why would Ford offer the 6.8L and the 5.0L in the F150. The 7.3 is only for Super Dutys.
-What is the take rate on the 5.0 in teh F-150?
-How much more does a 5.0 cost to manufacture than a 6.8 w/ iron block?
-Can the F150 support two V8s (lol, no way)?
-If the 5.0 is gone from the F150, why would it not die completely? It's subsidized my the truck line.

Ford sells a crate 7.3 for like $8K. The amount of money they would save by killing the Coyote and using the 6.8 (with cylinder deactivation, stop/start, all that) would be great.

They only sell like 30K V8 mustang each year. I think CAFE numbers could absorb that.

Dodge and Chevy sell >6.0L engines by the millions.

MikeyV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT Premium - Brembo - Race Red
I know the Coyote is about $9.5, and Godzilla can be had for $7.5K.

-half the valves/guides
-half the valve springs
-half the rockers
-one quarter the number of cams
-one timing chain instead of four
-one cam phase instead of four
-half the aluminum in the head
-all the less time labor to put all that crap together.

I'm sure the difference in cost to build for FORD is much greater than the street price would indicate.

v8hgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
I drove a 2021 Powerboost f150 the other day . Impressive package . 3.5 with an a10 with a hybrid motor sandwiched between the engine and transmission . Gobs of torque compared to the normal 3.5 . Might make a nice package in the s550 platform .
Some may say it could be the perfect solution for the next mustang refresh. It’s cheap, well packaged, already proven. Expect they can do the same with the 2.3 litre 4 pot and offer multiple levels of performance. If the coyote gets dropped from the f150 and replaced with the cheaper pushrod 6.8, does 30k mustangs a yr warrant the cost of running a coyote production line? Or is it cheaper and more beneficial to use the proven 3.5 + ISG from the f150 power boost?

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
Probably not around a track, and definitely not for more than a very limited distance race.

But, 1/4 mile, sure. I find that somewhat trivial.
The point is electric is coming and 1000 hp with 500 plus mile ranges in luxury cars (not performance coupes) is not to shabby. That Lucid only takes 20 minute charge for 300 miles. Straight line on the street those will kill any new internal combustion setup on the market. Trivial or not....
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.