Sponsored

Exhaust Questions (I already know what I want)

Hatter Shappy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP
Hey all,

Just bought my third s550... It's bad, I have a problem, and I fully admit it.

Anyways, I already know what I want to do with the exhaust and that is an x-pipe with a muffler delete. It's loud as :censored: but I love it.

My problem is that as great as it sounds on the road, the cold start is brutal and frankly my neighbors don't love the initial cold start punch. Our houses are pretty stacked in here. It's really just the first 3 or so seconds that are really bad.

Ok to my question: I know this sounds kinda dumb but is there a way I can build some sort of like foam half-box or something that I can put in my garage that I back the mustang into to help muffle the cold start sounds just a little bit? Or anything else someone can think of for that matter, just a simple DIY solution. I've done the x-pipe already and it sounds good but I need more and hope I don't have to leave it this way to keep good relations with the neighbors.

Also, side question, the exhaust shop says that in order to cut the muffler out for the muffler delete, they need me to buy new tips because the old ones aren't salvageable. Has anyone had an experience other than this with a muffler delete/swap? Now that I have 4 tips on the 2018, it can get a little pricey for a basic muffler delete. Just want to know if they are trying to swindle me, I really don't love working with this shop but they're all I got around me.

Thanks all for all the wealth of info on this site, I spend way too much time here!
Sponsored

blackyote_317

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
I believe if you have a tune there is a way for the tuner to limit some of that initial noise. That being said, I'm sure you could build some sort of sound deadening box.

I know I was able to re-use my tips on my 2017 but it's not dual tips. I can't really imagine what the limitation would be to using them again though.

OP
OP

Hatter Shappy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP
Thanks for the reply! Yeah that's actually what they said about my 17 with the single tips too, not just the 18, so I'm thinking they're just trying to make a few hundred bucks extra on fancy tips

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
My Lund tune quiets down within the first 3-4 seconds after starting the car. I'm sure my neighbors appreciate it especially at 6 am. I usually start the car with my garage door shut and open it after a few seconds. The stock tune is nuts with the warm-up idle.

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
I'd just build a plywood box, about 2' tall by 2' deep by 6' wide, with one side open. Once that's constructed, line it with a layer of rock wool insulation along all sides (top, bottom, sides, back) and then put a layer of egg crate acoustical insulation. Back your car into the garage so that the exhaust fires directly into it. Rather than the sound bouncing off the back of the garage and out into the neighborhood, the insulation will deaden the sound.

We do things like this with certain types of server racks and other equipment to reduce noise.

JR

Sponsored

Rambl3r

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 PP GT
attachment.jpg

You mean something like this? I know my pal [MENTION=19543]msweet[/MENTION] made something similar. Maybe he can give us a DIY.

OP
OP

Hatter Shappy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP
Now that looks nice [MENTION=24980]Rambl3r[/MENTION] ! Is it something he just pops on for the startup for like 2 or 3 minutes and then pops it off and drives away?

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
attachment.jpg

You mean something like this? I know my pal [MENTION=19543]msweet[/MENTION] made something similar. Maybe he can give us a DIY.
What in the name of all that is holy?

Rambl3r

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 PP GT
Now that looks nice [MENTION=24980]Rambl3r[/MENTION] ! Is it something he just pops on for the startup for like 2 or 3 minutes and then pops it off and drives away?
Exactly. Its just slipped on for the startup. Once the idle drops, remove and leave in the garage or trunk. Although not visually appealing, its a great idea.

OP
OP

Hatter Shappy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP
[MENTION=19543]msweet[/MENTION] [MENTION=24980]Rambl3r[/MENTION]

If this really does make a noticeable difference, I would love to figure out what goes into making them!

[MENTION=20773]jacknifetoaswan[/MENTION]

A box like that was always my initial idea, I'm just really unsure how much of a difference it would make for my neighbors :D Because that would be a simple afternoon project

Sponsored

Rambl3r

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 PP GT
[MENTION=19543]msweet[/MENTION] [MENTION=24980]Rambl3r[/MENTION]

If this really does make a noticeable difference, I would love to figure out what goes into making them!

[MENTION=20773]jacknifetoaswan[/MENTION]

A box like that was always my initial idea, I'm just really unsure how much of a difference it would make for my neighbors :D Because that would be a simple afternoon project
After some digging, I found Matt's DIY and video link. :thumbsup:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/145261781@N02/sets/72157673240998454

msweet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby GT PP 10A w/ Magride, Recaros
Thanks [MENTION=24980]Rambl3r[/MENTION] :thumbsup:

Yes, I'm aware that it's not the prettiest thing in the world, but if it looks stupid but works - it ain't stupid haha

My Corsa Xtreme is crazy loud on cold start, so if I leave early I just slip these on for 10-15 seconds until the idle has dropped

More pics and videos to show the difference here https://flic.kr/s/aHskHDXT4m

Honestly, with these on the cold start is down to stock level, it's way more effective than I even anticipated

Ingredients
- 3" PVC pipe
- 3" step down pipe screwed on
- rubber adapter (use size that will fit your exhaust tips)
- 2 foam plugs (with some holes poked through)
- foam insulation roll
- any form of gap filler to seal everything

Took me about an hour and cost me $50AUD, all in all a lot cheaper than an EPA notice

OP
OP

Hatter Shappy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP
[MENTION=19543]msweet[/MENTION]

Awesome, thanks man! Does there have to be any sort of air escape on there or do I just seal it all up? Not much of a car guy haha

Thanks for the pics and vids, seems like it's quite effective.

msweet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby GT PP 10A w/ Magride, Recaros
[MENTION=19543]msweet[/MENTION]

Awesome, thanks man! Does there have to be any sort of air escape on there or do I just seal it all up? Not much of a car guy haha

Thanks for the pics and vids, seems like it's quite effective.
Don't know if it's really required since they're only on the car for like 15 seconds at a time, but the ends of mine are open, with a few holes in the foam plug as can be seen in the photos

One thing to note, mine aren't overly tight on the tips, so I have to just push something heavy up behind them so they don't blow off when I start the car. I could redesign the fitting, but it's never bothered me enough since I use them infrequently. Quad tips might require some thinking, I'll cross that bridge when my 18 gets here

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/black stripes
attachment.jpg

Here's what you do. You back into the garage, stick these things on and you tie a string to them and attach to the wall (install an eyelet). You start up and after 15 seconds or so you just drive away and they get pulled off!

What could go wrong?
Sponsored