2019 GT350 Upgrades: Tech, Aerodynamics and Other GT500 Track Improvements

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
You have spare springs, shocks and sway bars that are identical to what's on the car, or you have various different parts that you have tried or might try?

How often do you discard and buy replacements?

No way are you wearing out springs, shocks and sway bars in a few months like tires get worn out.
These items you mention have are weat and tear and most definitely not consumables lol
Sponsored

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
The Coyote was just declared one of the most underatted engines produced.
This right?

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/first-drives/a20524720/2018-ford-mustang-gt-quick-drive/

Yeah I read that too. I'm wondering if the Coyote is starting to suffer from LS'ism. Coyotes are being put into all times of swaps and Mustang GT's are starting to become pretty dime a dozen. Not that this is a bad thing by any stretch however just food for thought. :confused: I said hi and complemented a young woman maybe mid 20's on her newly picked up '14 Mustang at a gas station recently. She almost didn't even know it was a 5.0 but the car fit in her budget (to be fair, she didn't exactly get ripped off) and she really liked it.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I just looked up the '15 - 17 ratios and they're surprisingly not that much different. The 350 has just slightly taller ratios in every gear except for 5th. Which I think makes sense because of the RPM capability.

Here's the '15 - 17 ratios:

I believe these are the 2018 MT82 ratios:

The GT350's are:

Very interesting. The MT82 ratios have all been changed since I had my 2011 GT with the 3.73 rear gears. In that car I would start out in 2nd gear and skip shift if I wasn't in a hurry, because that's how steep and close together the gears were. Awesome fun for launching and 0-60 runs, but wouldn't be good for road course. In the GT350 on the street I wish there was a gear lower than 1st, because to me 1st isn't as steep as I would prefer to start out with. I also rarely skip shift unless I'm transitioning from heavy acceleration to steady It's set up for a road course more than for launching on the street. I have no desire to start out in 2nd gear - it would be terrible on the clutch.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Very interesting. The MT82 ratios have all been changed since I had my 2011 GT with the 3.73 rear gears. In that car I would start out in 2nd gear and skip shift if I wasn't in a hurry, because that's how steep and close together the gears were. Awesome fun for launching and 0-60 runs, but wouldn't be good for road course. In the GT350 on the street I wish there was a gear lower than 1st, because to me 1st isn't as steep as I would prefer to start out with. I also rarely skip shift unless I'm transitioning from heavy acceleration to steady It's set up for a road course more than for launching on the street. I have no desire to start out in 2nd gear - it would be terrible on the clutch.
I used to start off in 2nd sometimes as well in my '11 GT 3.73. I would also always start in 2nd in autocross and it worked like a charm especially when tuned. I never start in 2nd in my GT350 except if I'm on a hill that I know will let me roll into it. Nor do I ever skip shift. I think I can count the number of times on one hand that I've ever skip shifted in my 350. I started in 2nd once at autocross. I definitely made a face or three and said to myself "never again" :eek:

likeaboss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Corvette Z51
Hell, even my buddy's old 17 Z06 Corvette doesn't really match the special feeling of the GT350.
I'd disagree...with that said the GT350 is a great car and so is the Vette. I'm glad we live in a world where both exist.

Sponsored

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
I'd disagree...with that said the GT350 is a great car and so is the Vette. I'm glad we live in a world where both exist.
Don't get me wrong, I love that car. The handling is phenomenal. So is the power. But a 6500rpm redline feels pretty MEH compared to a high revving naturally aspirated engine. It's just a regular 'ol LS with a blower on top at the end of the day.

The voodoo is no everyday engine.

autobahnGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT 350
So, what advantage does the new rear spoiler give beyond the 2015-2018 track pack spoiler? Are there any measured reports about how much more downforce their is? Also, the mention that the front splitter was refined makes me wonder what else is up with the total downforce gains. How does the new rear spoiler compare to the R spoiler?

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
So, what advantage does the new rear spoiler give beyond the 2015-2018 track pack spoiler? Are there any measured reports about how much more downforce their is? Also, the mention that the front splitter was refined makes me wonder what else is up with the total downforce gains. How does the new rear spoiler compare to the R spoiler?
Well the new one probably reduces drag and still gives a favorable slip stream profile. Air doesn't really follow the contour of a car's body panels. Most of the air actually will flow OVER the contours as air slows down in pockets such as between the rear windshield and the spoiler. The spoiler is supposed to create a stagnant high pressure zone and allows turbulent air to flow over that high pressure zone. Same concept as to why they say don't put your tailgate down on your truck nowadays for better aerodynamics. The R "spoiler" is in fact a real wing. Wings interact with large areas of airflow for downforce only. Spoilers redirect air for a better stream profile and CAN also produce downforce although not as much as a wing, generally speaking. Wings will ALWAYS give you a drag penalty. Period. That's the trade off for maximum downforce. However spoilers can actually decrease drag and give SOME downforce but a well designed wing will always provide maximum functional downforce. Basically, spoilers make a car slippery at the expensive of minimal downforce. Wings push a car down at the expense of increased drag.

In THEORY, but probably not realistically, the GT350 TP car could have the highest top speed assuming that spoiler gave the car the lowest drag coefficient.......again, in theory as an arbitrary example just to tickle your brain and get you thinking. It's probably not true but just something to think about.

autobahnGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT 350
[MENTION=16326]nastang87xx[/MENTION],

Thanks for the reminder of the slippery when wet analogy. This reminds me of the days when the 87 LX 5.0 had a higher trap compared to the 87 GT 5.0 due to it (LX) lacking any aero.

It makes sense that perhaps with the 19 aero revision, that FP wanted to add some slightly more downforce, but not full wing style, ala R, to keep separation of the two, albeit with the new non-r having a better track focus than previous years due to this supposed better aero package. The new rear spoiler looks like a PP2 spoiler to me, what do you think? Also, based on the increased drag, and if wheels and tires are the same weight, the 15-18s ringers for higher trap speeds compared to the 19 with the same weight and added downforce. Of course this is merely speculation and not to get anybody’s blood pressure up

Will be interesting to see what the FP parts bin adds up to if anyone wants to upgrade to the latest. I am still on the line for the R wing replica and splitter myself.

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track

Thanks for the reminder of the slippery when wet analogy. This reminds me of the days when the 87 LX 5.0 had a higher trap compared to the 87 GT 5.0 due to it (LX) lacking any aero.

It makes sense that perhaps with the 19 aero revision, that FP wanted to add some slightly more downforce, but not full wing style, ala R, to keep separation of the two, albeit with the new non-r having a better track focus than previous years due to this supposed better aero package. The new rear spoiler looks like a PP2 spoiler to me, what do you think? Also, based on the increased drag, and if wheels and tires are the same weight, the 15-18s ringers for higher trap speeds compared to the 19 with the same weight and added downforce. Of course this is merely speculation and not to get anybody’s blood pressure up��

Will be interesting to see what the FP parts bin adds up to if anyone wants to upgrade to the latest. I am still on the line for the R wing replica and splitter myself.
I want the R splitter.. at $900 not at $1300. If the wing is a direct swap i might consider it though. I added the duckbill to my stock TP wing I kinda dig it.

Sponsored

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack

It makes sense that perhaps with the 19 aero revision, that FP wanted to add some slightly more downforce, but not full wing style, ala R, to keep separation of the two, albeit with the new non-r having a better track focus than previous years due to this supposed better aero package. The new rear spoiler looks like a PP2 spoiler to me, what do you think? Also, based on the increased drag, and if wheels and tires are the same weight, the 15-18s ringers for higher trap speeds compared to the 19 with the same weight and added downforce. Of course this is merely speculation and not to get anybody’s blood pressure up��
I believe Ford dropped the drag coefficient without decreasing downforce. The rear spoiler definitely does not look like the PP2 one in my mind. It's way more profiled and longer in length. I think you'd be surprised at the current spoiler even. It's actually quite a piece. It's about 5" tall and about 7" long (aaaaaaaaaaand all of a sudden we're measurin' dongs :ninja:) and the contour is even longer of course. But I'm too lazy to do my calculus to find out how long the contour is.

Bcobb85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Interesting note: the 2019 Kona Blue GT350 that was unveiled looks to actually be a 2018. I was first skeptical with the talk of changes in the interior which looked to be the same as the 18. Now with a high res pic of the interior in the link, you can clearly see the dash plaque starts with a J, same as the 18's:shrug:

https://mustangforums.com/articles/shelby-gt350-mustang-evolution/2/

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
"new lightweight aluminum wheels"... Id be interested to see the weight on the new wheels...
The clearance to brake caliper for the new wheels on that pic looks just as big as my 6GR wheels... as in almost non-existent.

I also don't like that design too much.