Replaced center speaker...now my bass from the doors is better?

OP
OP
SVT-DADDY

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
I am reluctant to replace a component speaker with a co-axial speaker. I'm afraid it's gonna mess up the sound stage and cause harsh highs. But I want better highs, and this seems easier than replacing the pillar tweeters. For those who have done this and only this, can you describe the difference it made, pros and cons?

It's not too harsh. You'll actually have highs after this upgrade.

If you don't like it you can just reinstall your stock speaker. Not hard at all, and there is a robust market for single Polk 351's.

Trust me, you'll like it. Not one person on this forum hasn't.

Nuked

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GTPP w/Recaros
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah the market is pretty good for the other speaker if you buy the pair. I think I sold mine on the FB group in less than an hour of posting.

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Magnetic/Showstopper Red, 401A, Active Exhaust
It's not too harsh. You'll actually have highs after this upgrade.

If you don't like it you can just reinstall your stock speaker. Not hard at all, and there is a robust market for single Polk 351's.

Trust me, you'll like it. Not one person on this forum hasn't.

Would you do this first or the pillar tweeters?

SWallace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GT Vert
I did Polk rears and the 6.5" component Polk's in the lower door with Kicker tweeters (i think they were Kicker). I probably did it the hard way but didn't want to do coaxial speakers in the lower door for fear it would be too bright. I left the 3.5's in the door alone and did the Polk 3.5 with a capacitor in the dash. I also did a JL dual 8 Microsub in the trunk because I have a vert and they make next to nothing for boxes.

I also altered the As-Built codes to set the EQ to 0 and remove the DSP setting that cuts the base when the top is unlatched.

All in all I'm happy now, but wish the amp was of better quality. It starts to clip above 20.

OP
OP
SVT-DADDY

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Would you do this first or the pillar tweeters?
This first, I didn't notice much difference with the pillars.

catchthecarp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 White Platinum Premium GT
Keep up updated, I am curious how the Kickers sound. I have been thinking about doing this upgrade.
Now that I have spent more time getting acquainted with the new tweeters I can provide some feedback. First, I have no experience with car audio, never dabbled with it before. One of my hobbies is home audio so I have a little bit of experience on what to listen for. For evaluating tweeters I have learned to start with music that features high hat cymbals - for me that's rock and jazz. Do they sound natural? They should sound metallic with no dullness. Pay attention to the attack and decay of cymbal strikes. Strings are another good test for tweeters. All the things I listened for were improved upon, much more clarity and detail and no more dullness. For the treble setting I have it at about a third, half way and above the sound became overly bright. I listened at different volume levels, 7 - 22, most of my listening was done in the 10 - 15 range. Using the supplied x-overs I don't find these tweeters to be harsh, shrill or fatiguing. I'm older than most here so my ears aren't susceptible to the higher frequencies anymore so take that into account.

I made one rookie mistake on the install. I re-used the factory plug connectors and somehow managed to flatten one of the pins when I reconnected them. I heard and felt a click and figured I was good to go so I buttoned up the A-pillar without checking that the new tweet was producing sound. If you use the factory connectors eyeball the male plug and make sure the pins are straight and aligned. Check that you have sound before continuing further.....
:headbonk:

ryanr24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt350
Does anyone have an extra 351 they wanted to sell?

EastTNMustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Roush Stage 3
Here’s a comparison of the two center speakers (db351 on left, original on right)
F576DE2A-AC98-43C1-8AC2-5B4F3DF012AF.jpeg

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
Has anybody just disconnected the center and compared the sound?

OP
OP
SVT-DADDY

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Here’s a comparison of the two center speakers (db351 on left, original on right)
Pretty easy to see why there is such an improvement!

OP
OP
SVT-DADDY

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Pretty easy to see why there is such an improvement!

Diocletian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Orange Fury Mustang GT Premium A10 w/ PP1.
Anybody got a spare db351 for sale?

gmupatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT (Orange Fury), 401A, A10, 3.55
Does the db351 require any modification to the dash are in order for it to fit or is it plug and play?