Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hapkido.com.au
First Name
Geoff
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT - 1965 Coupe
Hi all, I am looking at putting a different logo in the centre of the Steering Wheel and would like to know some recommendations on the best way to remove the Pony, etc.

Regards

GMG
Sponsored

brandonsmash

SMASH!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - PP
I don't know if this is possible; I think it's part of the airbag cover. You may do well to try to find a blank airbag cover, as if you remove the pony I believe there's an obvious recess there.

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
16-17-Steering-Wheel-SRS-air-bags-covers-horm-cap-Shelby-ford-mustang-GT-how-to-replace-deploeyd.jpg

Looks like lots of holes, this is the view from the back of the cover.
Also notice the seam where the cover splits when the airbag pops.
Be sure not to seal that seam when modifying.

SterlingStangMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Magnetic Ecoboost
Wings Baby, Wings!

Working on a similar project. Seems the best option is to buy the ebay 85mm center cap (I bought the Cobra one but, in retrospect should have gotten the Roush one), paint or wrap it and then install the logo. In my case it will be a set of pilot wings which will go nicely with the cut out for the airbag deployment. I will have to remove the double face tape on the smaller side of the cover to prevent interfering with deployment. Perhaps a lower tack tape could work possible. Wings will just e a decal.
DSC_5362.JPG

SterlingStangMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Magnetic Ecoboost
Well my plan is on hold since the 85mm cap on ebay had a raised cobra on it and not smooth like the vendor stated. Back to square 1. Likely to move the wings to the dashplate instead. Open to any ideas however since buying a blank Mustang airbag cover is just not available.

Sponsored

SterlingStangMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Magnetic Ecoboost
Success!

Okay, I finally figured out how to best do this. The disc is a stick on mirror from Walmart, it is actually 90mm across so one of the guys at work used a lathe to cut it down to 85mm (86 would actually be more correct). I then soaked the mirror in household bleech which desolved the silver from the back of the mirror leaving a clear disc. I applied my decal to the inside surface and spray painted the background gloss black. After letting it dry, I attached the disc with double sided automotive grade take to only the larger side of the airbag blow out cut. Seems to be holding good and since you really won't be pressing often on the center, it should be fine and still safe in an airbag activation. Let me know what you think! When soaking the disc in bleech, make sure it is entirely submerged with no air bubble as this can cause the silver to redeposite.
DSC_5423.JPG

OP
OP
GMG

GMG

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hapkido.com.au
First Name
Geoff
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT - 1965 Coupe
A little beyond my skill, but looks good! :)

Reactions: JWS

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Big screwdriver and a little muscle, that thing come right off! ;)

(Don't...)

Sponsored

SterlingStangMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Magnetic Ecoboost
Thanks guys! It is actually pretty easy and putting the logo on the inside of the disc really gives it a custom look. I may try to do an upgrade with "P-51" above the wings and "MUSTANG" in an arch under. My graphic guy can probably do it but it would need to be in the negative so it reads correct.

CANTA1M

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 2.3T-T-Turbo Stormtrooper
what was the disc made of?

SterlingStangMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Magnetic Ecoboost
It is from a stick on mirror which I popped out of the plastic frame. The hardest part is finding someone with a lathe to reduce the 90mm mirror down to 86mm. Lucky for me there is a machine shop in my building. Removing the mirror with bleach will leave you a clear plastic disc. Painting the inside surface give it the look of glass, just need to make sure the inside is really clean, free of fingerprints - wear nitrile gloves when cleaning.

Ludachris

Threads
Reaction score
Website
s550mods.com
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium PP
Very cool - nice work on that cover.

Is the factory chrome trim ring glued on to the cover using the melted rivets? I had been thinking of trying to pry it off but it looks like it would get damaged if I did that.

SterlingStangMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Magnetic Ecoboost
Since I can't ever leave thing alone until I am sure it is perfect, here is my latest version. I added the "P-51" as well as "MUSTANG" to the disc and painted this version in Guard to match the car. Hope you like. Because everything is on the inside it is like having over a dozen layers of perfect clearcoat:headbang:
DSC_5644.JPG
Sponsored